Skip to main content

Alleged custodial torture in Vejalpur: MCC Gujarat issues contempt notice

By A Representative
 
A legal contempt notice has been issued to senior Gujarat government and police officials over allegations of custodial torture and public assault in connection with an incident reported from Ahmedabad’s Vejalpur area earlier this month.
According to a press note issued by the Minority Coordination Committee (MCC) Gujarat, the notice has been sent by MCC convener Mujahid Nafees to the Gujarat Chief Secretary, the Additional Chief Secretary (Home Department), the Director General of Police, and the Ahmedabad Police Commissioner. The notice seeks immediate departmental, disciplinary, penal and criminal action against police personnel allegedly involved in the incident near Sonal Cinema in Vejalpur on May 7.
The MCC stated that video clips, photographs and newspaper reports related to the incident have circulated widely in the public domain and contain allegations of custodial violence and public assault by police personnel. The notice claims that police officers tied the hands of accused Mohammad Aziz Sheikh, also referred to as Rais Sheikh in the complaint, to the bonnet of a police vehicle and assaulted him publicly.
The organisation alleged that the incident amounted to “illegal and extra-judicial punishment” in violation of constitutional protections and human rights principles. It said that public humiliation, assault or custodial violence against any accused person without due legal process constituted a serious violation of the right to life, liberty and dignity guaranteed under Article 21 of the Constitution.
The MCC further alleged that despite the circulation of videos and media reports, no transparent or effective action had so far been initiated against the police personnel concerned. It described this as a failure on the part of authorities responsible for maintaining law and order.
In the notice, Nafees has demanded an independent and impartial inquiry into the incident and activation of all investigation and monitoring mechanisms under the jurisdiction of the concerned authorities. The organisation has also called for disciplinary proceedings, penal measures and other legal action against the police personnel found responsible.
The press note, dated May 22, said a copy of the legal contempt notice had been attached along with links to videos related to the incident.

Comments

TRENDING

Incarceration of Prof Saibaba 'revives' the question: What is crime, who is criminal?

By Kunal Pant* In 2016, a Supreme Court Judge asked the state of Maharashtra, “Do you want to extract a pound of flesh?” The statement was directed against the state for contesting the bail plea of Delhi University Professor GN Saibaba. Saibaba was arrested in 2014, a justification for which was to prevent him from committing what the police called “anti-national activities.”

When Sardar Patel opposed reservation, asked Scheduled Castes to give up their “inferiority” complex

Jawaharlal Nehru, Sardar Patel By Dr Hari Desai* It is ironical indeed. Though Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel was opposed to any kind of reservation in the government jobs and education as well as in the legislatures (like Mahatma Gandhi), even today his name is being drawn in controversies in the present-day agitations demanding reservation in India.

Activists Akriti, Satyam Verma face NSA in Noida protest case: PUCL

By A Representative   Human rights activist Kavita Shrivastava has alleged that the Uttar Pradesh Police is invoking the National Security Act (NSA) against two activists associated with Mazdoor Bigul in connection with the Noida workers’ protest case, even as labour unrest continues to spread across industrial belts in several northern states.