Skip to main content

Research journal EPW board decision accepting editor Reddy's resignation termed unfortunate, ungracious

By A Representative
In an open letter to the board of trustees of India’s premier research journal, “Economic and Political Weekly” (EPW), some of India’s most well-known intellectuals have termed its decision accepting the resignation of EPW editor C Rammanohar Reddy as “unfortunate”,  praising him for “dedication, personal sacrifice” and “an extremely successful Editor”, and saying that he has had to part  “in an unhappy and ungracious ways”.
As many as 101 signatories as “members of the EPW community” – including Montek Singh Ahluwahlia, Former Deputy Chairman, Planning Commission; Ramachandra Guha, historian and writer; Irfan Habib, historian; Christophe Jaffrelot, Director, CERI, Universite Sciences Po, Paris; N Ram, Chairman, The Hindu group of newspapers; and Yogendra Yadav, Swaraj Abhiyan – insisted that the board should reverse its decision.
Top social scientist Jean DrĂ©ze, a close associate of Nobel laureate Amartya Sen, said, "Apropos today’s letter to the board of the Sameeksha Trust, signed by 101 eminent scholars, this is to clarify that I share their concerns and resigned from the board on this issue some time ago, with effect from March 31, 2016."
The letter says, “We wish to express our concern at what we have heard of the unusual circumstances in which the incumbent editor ... has chosen to formally announce that he is resigning from his position as editor and severing all links with the institution.”
“Reddy”, says the letter, “did an exceptional job of re-energizing and contemporizing EPW at a time when many felt it was showing its age and at risk of losing its edge”, adding, “It would indeed be profoundly unfortunate if such dedication, personal sacrifice, and unstinting effort from an extremely successful Editor were to end in an unhappy and ungracious parting of the ways between him and the EPW board of trustees.”
“We understand that the Board had questioned the appropriateness of his efforts to produce a set of volumes and a documentary to commemorate the completion in 2016 of fifty years of the journal’s existence, even though he had organised the required funding from outside”, the letter says.
“In addition”, the letter says, “he had been excluded from any role in the future governance of the journal and also kept out of the formal process of finding a successor, even though he clearly is the person most thoroughly involved with and informed about the editorial and financial conditions and requirements of the journal, and therefore conscious of its future needs.”
Asking the board to “reconsider its decisions in this regard, so that all of us feel secure about the future of the journal and can participate with full enthusiasm in the celebrations to mark the fifty years of EPW’s existence”, the letter proposes that Reddy be asked “to take up and continue the activities he had planned to celebrate this anniversary.”
“We also strongly urge that he be included and given a role in the process of selecting the new Editor, and that such a selection be done in an open and transparent manner with all Trustees invited to be part of that process”, it says, adding, “It would be ideal if Reddy is persuaded to take on a role in the transition to a new editorial regime and in the future governance of the EPW, preferably as a Trustee.”

Comments

TRENDING

Right to walk, right to livelihood: Clearing footpaths 'can't mean' clearing out the urban poor

By Aseem Mishra*    India’s cities are locked in a quiet but intensifying struggle over one of their most contested public spaces: the footpath. For pedestrians, a footpath is basic infrastructure—a strip of ground that should allow people to move safely, independently and with dignity. For millions of informal workers, the same stretch of pavement is a workplace, a source of daily income and often the difference between survival and destitution.

Gujarat Sachivalaya blacklists, denies entry to woman social activist: Will NHRC probe?

By Kantilal Parmar*  I have approached the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) seeking an independent, impartial, and transparent investigation into a serious incident that took place at the Gujarat Secretariat in Gandhinagar on August 18, 2026. The matter concerns social activist and women’s rights leader Chandrikaben Solanki, who, according to the information available to me, was denied an entry pass to the Secretariat when she went there to meet Gujarat’s Social Justice and Empowerment Minister, Dr. Manishaben Vakil, to raise an issue concerning social justice.

Ample evidence of child labour in South Gujarat's cash rich sugarcane belt: Study

By Rajiv Shah A recent German government-funded study , undertaken jointly by the NGO Prayas Centre for Labour Research and Action and the Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung, which mainly deals examines the working conditions of migrant workers in the cash-rich sugarcane zone of South Gujarat, has gone a long way to suggest large scale prevalence of child labour during the harvesting season.