Skip to main content

Australian greens accuse Adani Group of making "false promises" of economic benefits from coalmining project

A GetUp! poster against Adanis in Australia
By Our Representative
In a development which may go a long way adversely the powerful industrial group of Adanis’, currently involved in a legal tangle in a land court in Australia’s Queensland province for obtaining permission to go ahead with one of the world’s biggest coalmining projects, the British daily Guardian has reported the “Indian conglomerate” has admitted it will not be able to “generate” 10,000 jobs it had previously promised.
“Australia’s largest coalmine would deliver only a fraction of the jobs and state government payments promised by the company, Queensland’s land court has heard”, daily says.

It adds, “The Carmichael mine in central Queensland and the related Abbot Point coal port would generate 1,464 jobs and up to $4.8bn in royalties, an expert economic witness for Adanis has told the court”.
The daily quotes Jerome Fahrer, an economic consultant commissioned by Adanis to model the outputs of its proposed 30-year coalmine, as telling the court that state royalties to Queensland would “range from $3.7bn to $4.8bn when discounting for inflation”, adding “His modelling also shows a total of 1,464 jobs, which includes related indirect jobs generated by the mine, over 30 years.”
“The figures are a far cry from the 10,000 jobs and $22bn Adani has used in seeking government approval for the mine and a public relations campaign aimed at negating public opposition over its impact on the Great Barrier Reef through shipping and emissions”, the daily, which is the winner of Pulitzer Prize for 2014, said.
“The company’s projections were endorsed as recently as last week by the new state Labour government in justifying its qualified support of the mine”, the Guardian says, adding, “The new figures were revealed on Monday during a cross-examination of Adani witness Fahrer by barrister Saul Holt for the conservation group Coast and Country.”
Australian conservationists have gone to the land court seeking it recommend refusal of Adanis’ applications for an environmental approval and a mining lease for the $10 billion project. The news that only a “fraction” of the promised jobs would be created has led top environmental group GetUp! to declare that this is yet another proof that that Adanis can't be trusted. It has said, “There was one argument left in favour of it - jobs. Now we know they don't exist.”
Meanwhile, an Adanis’ spokesman went in for a firefighting mode in Australia, saying the company stood by its “commitment to deliver $22bn in taxes and royalties for Queensland”, adding, the “full context of Dr Fahrer’s modelling and its assumptions have not been disclosed”.
“The land court process relates to the economic benefits of the mine at Carmichael – it does not envisage the combined tax and royalty, direct and indirect, construction and operational job benefits of Adani’s mine, rail and port projects,” he said.
“It’s highly problematic that we don’t have government agencies that undertake and scrutinise this work and it’s really reliant on organisations or landholders or companies impacted by the proposed development to have to undertake this themselves”, he added.
Another Australian daily, the Sydney Morning Herald, meanwhile, has said that the Adani Group is facing a strong challenge from “a conservation group in the land court of Queensland to stop it proceeding with its $10 billion Galilee Basin thermal coal mine and infrastructure project.” It adds, “Taking the stand on Friday was Adani Mining's financial controller Rajesh Gupta whose performance when cross-examined ranged from unconvincing to embarrassingly vague and forgetful.”
“Among the key things to emerge so far: Adani had previously announced the conditional sale of T1, its terminal at Abbot Point, to the Bombay Stock Exchange. Now, as revealed earlier this year by Fairfax Media, Adani has confirmed the sale has not happened”, the daily reports.

Comments

TRENDING

#MeToo moment in Hyderabad Urdu varsity? Two girl students seek action against authorities

Counterview Desk
Has the #MeToo movement reached Maulana Azad National Urdu University (MAANU)? It would seem so if a recent letter by newly-appointed chancellor Firoz Bakht Ahmed to MAANU vice-chancellor Dr Aslam Parvaiz is any indication. Seeking reinstatement of two girl victims of “sexual harassment and humiliation”, the letter specifically names head of the department of the Media Centre for Journalism, suspecting, the problem could be much deeper.
Text of the letter: It is a matter of utmost perturbation for me to receive the two representations from the girls studying in the MCJ (Media Center for Journalism) regarding their sexual and subsequently, mental and social harassment at the hands of Prof Ehtesham Ahmad Khan, the HOD, MCJ.
We do not know, how many girls have been exploited by him and preferred to be silent for saving their family’s honour; however, there are two brave girls who stood to the depraved advances and misuse by Prof Ehtesham and came up with written complai…

"Ineligible" funding of Sardar Statue in Gujarat: CAG tells Central PSUs, it's not a heritage CSR activity

By Our Representative
The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India, in its recent report on Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSE), has qualified public sector undertakings’ (PSUs') funding the 182-metre world’s highest Sardar Statue, currently being constructed in the Narmada river downstream of the Sardar Sarovar dam as an “ineligible” corporate social responsibility (CSR) activity.

29th "NRC-related" suicide in Assam, as Nirod Baran Das takes his life by hanging on a fan

By Our Representative
Reporting 29th case of National Register of Citizens (NRC)-driven suicide in Assam, one of India’s human rights campaign sites has said that, on October 20, tragedy struck Kharupetia town in Darrang district of Assam, when a retired school teacher and advocate Nirod Baran Das “took his life by hanging himself to a fan in his home.” The report adds, “The NRC process has so far claimed over two dozen such lives in the past four months alone.”

"Highly irregular" for PSUs to fund Sardar Statue under Corporate Social Responsibility

Counterview Desk
In a letter to I Srinivas, secretary, Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Government of India, former secretary (economic affairs), Ministry of Finance, EAS Sarma, has raised questions on the funding of the Sardar Patel statue in South Gujarat by Central Public Sector Undertaking (CPSUs) relying on the Comptroller and Auditor General report (No 18/2018).

Murder of Tamil Nadu teenage Dalit girl: "Stoic silence" despite #MeToo movement

Counterview Desk
Brinelle D'souza, who is with the Centre for Health and Mental Health, School of Social Work, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai, has prepared a strong statement to protest the brutal murder of 13-year-old Rajalakshmi. "Other than a few media reports, this gruesome killing has not caught national attention despite a very vibrant #MeToo campaign currently underway", regrets D'souza.

World Bank clarifies: Its 26th rank to India not for universal access to power but for ease of doing business

By Our Representative
In a major embarrassment to the Government of India, the World Bank has reportedly clarified that it has not ranked India 26th out of 130 countries for providing power to its population. The top international banker’s clarification comes following Union Power Minister Piyush Goyal’s claim that India has “improved to 26 position from 99” in access to electricity in just one year.

Preventing childhood deaths: India performs worse than Bangladesh, "equals" Pakistan

By Rajiv Shah
A just-released study, “The Pneumonia and Diarrhea Progress Report 2018”, prepared by the International Vaccine Access Centre (IVAC) at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, has identified India among 15 other countries which are still far off the mark in achieving the targets of the Global Action Plan for the Prevention of Pneumonia and Diarrhea (GAPPD).

Bank account frozen, raid on Amnesty office: Govt of India "treating" human rights NGOs like criminal enterprises

By Abhirr VP*
Amnesty India’s bank accounts have been frozen by the Enforcement Directorate, effectively stopping its work. Amnesty India is thus the latest target of the government’s assault on civil society in the country. The accounts of Greenpeace India were frozen earlier this month.

60 ex-civil servants seek release of CAG reports on Rafale, demonetisation before 2019 polls

Counterview Desk
As many as 60 retired civil servants have asked President Ram Nath Kovind to expedite the release of Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) reports on demonetisation and the Rafale deal. The letter, signed mainly by former Indian Administrative Service, Indian Foreign Service and Indian Police Service officers, regrets that the status of the audit is "unclear”. According to them, “An impression is gaining ground that CAG is deliberately delaying its audit reports on demonetisation and Rafale deal till after the May 2019 elections so as not to embarrass the present government”.

Govt of India "tarnishing" NGO reputation, dossier leaked selectively: Amnesty

Counterview Desk
Amnesty International India has said that a deliberate attempt is being made to tarnish its reputation by leaking a dossier, supposedly made by investigating agencies, to media without giving it access to any such information. The high profile NGO’s claim follows a Times Now report about proceedings launched by investigative agencies, including Enforcement Directorate (ED) against the rights body for “violations” of rules pertaining to overseas donations.