Skip to main content

Madhya Pradesh mining children: Activists get together to work out grassroots community action plan

By A Representative
Madhya Pradesh’s senior activists have taken strong exception to deteriorating plight of the children of the mining areas, pointing towards how the people’s displacement has adversely affected their schooling at a large number of spots. Following a meeting of around 50 activists in Bhopal, a representation met state government officials to apprise them of the problem of mining children.
During the meeting – which took place at Hotel Palash Residency – the activists released a well-documented book in Hindi on the condition of mining children in Madhya Pradesh. It was handed over by a delegation of activists to Madhya Pradesh education minister Umashankar Dixit.
The activists particularly told the minister about the adverse impact of mining of the children in the Panna Tiger Reserve, where a school had been closed down on orders of the education department.
The book points to how children across India are growing up in and around the areas where mining is conducted and how mining has affected their lives, directly or indirectly. “It is these children who we refer to as mining children”, the book underlines.
“Somehow, the concerns relating to children tend to get overlooked by groups working in these areas on the issue of mining. On the other hand, groups working on children also have very little understanding on mining and its impact on children”, the book says.
The book points to a study conducted by HAQ: Centre for Child Rights, Dhaatri Resource Centre for Women and Children, and Samata titled “India’s Childhood in the Pits: A report on the Impacts of Mining on Children in India, which has provided a glimpse into the lives of children living, working, affected and exploited by mining in India.
The book talks of “the strong need to bring in groups working with children and those on mining issues together to work on these connected issues”, something for which HAQ and Samata have worked in six states over the last three years.” The book provides a community resource guide to impart legal training to activists.
“During our field activities in Uttar Pradesh, we realized that the scary boom in mining activities in the state has only given risen to further human rights violations, especially child right’s violations”, the book says. Among those who released the Hindi book were Sachinkumar Jain, Rakesh Diwan and Ashok Shrimali, leading members of people’s organizations at the meeting.
Earlier, HAQ and Samata had released a similar book an English book with a community resource guide on mining children. The participants at the meet later viewed the film, “Falling Through the Cracks: Children in Mining”, directed by Shibani Choudhury. The film has been screened quite a few times in Delhi.

Comments

TRENDING

Right to walk, right to livelihood: Clearing footpaths 'can't mean' clearing out the urban poor

By Aseem Mishra*    India’s cities are locked in a quiet but intensifying struggle over one of their most contested public spaces: the footpath. For pedestrians, a footpath is basic infrastructure—a strip of ground that should allow people to move safely, independently and with dignity. For millions of informal workers, the same stretch of pavement is a workplace, a source of daily income and often the difference between survival and destitution.

Ample evidence of child labour in South Gujarat's cash rich sugarcane belt: Study

By Rajiv Shah A recent German government-funded study , undertaken jointly by the NGO Prayas Centre for Labour Research and Action and the Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung, which mainly deals examines the working conditions of migrant workers in the cash-rich sugarcane zone of South Gujarat, has gone a long way to suggest large scale prevalence of child labour during the harvesting season.

Women lawyers petition Supreme Court, seek reconsideration of Aug 4 order on bar council co-option

By A Representative   A group of women advocates who stood sixth and seventh among female candidates in the recent Bar Council elections have filed a petition before the Supreme Court, seeking a recall and reconsideration of the Court’s August 4 order determining the mechanism for co-opting women into State Bar Councils.