Skip to main content

Food security: Delhi High Court asks govt to look into 'concern' of marginalised sections

By A Representative
Taking cognisance of a petition filed by the Delhi Rozi Roti Adhikar Abhiyan (DRRAA) to distribute food to marginalised sections in the national capital without ration cards, the Delhi High Court has directed the state government to file a status report regarding continuation of dry rations for such persons, expressing concern about the plight of the homeless and the condition in shelters.
In its petition, DRRAA said, the extent of requirement of ration by people not possessing a ration card can be gauged by the fact that the Delhi government received applications from 54 lakh people for the e-coupon scheme. These are people who do not have ration cards and are badly affected by the economic crisis as they are mostly daily wagers, slum dwellers, causal workers etc., it added.
The hearing took place for DRRAA’s plea before the Delhi High Court highlighting the discontinuation of all schemes of food security for those without ration cards. The matter was heard on December 7, 2020 by a bench comprising of Justices Hima Kohli and S Prasad. The bench asked the state government’s Delhi Urban Shelter Improvement Board (DUSIB) to look into the concern and address them in a time-bound manner.
DRRAA, in its plea, said, due to the pandemic, people were experiencing economic distress and therefore, sought continuation of supply of dry rations to persons without ration cards, especially the vulnerable, poor and marginalised. The e-coupon scheme of the Delhi government under the Mukhya Mantri Corona Sahayata Yojana launched in the beginning of the lockdown was initially to cover only 10 lakh people and was for one-time ration entitlement of 5 kg grain per person.
The plea said, pursuant to the orders of the Delhi High Court on April 27, 2020, the cap of 10 lakh was removed and the scheme was extended for another phase. However, ration was provided under this scheme only for two months for those who applied in the first phase. Since then while the scheme is still open, it only functions as a one time entitlement of 5 kg of grains per person.
Counsels for DRRAA highlighted inadequacy of one time entitlement of 5 kg in sustaining people during unprecedented economic crisis
In the hearing, the counsels for DRRAA highlighted the inadequacy of a one time entitlement of 5 kg in sustaining people in this time of unprecedented economic crisis. Further, the issue was raised that once the government had identified people in need of dry rations, it must not stop the provision of grains after just one month.
DRRAA said, while the Delhi government claim what it is “continuously providing ration to all those who have registered themselves on the Janta Samvad Ration Portal under Mukhya Mantri Corona Sahayata Yojana” is contrary to the actual implementation wherein it is being implemented as a one time entitlement, i.e. once a person has got 5 kg ration under this scheme, they cannot apply again.
In Delhi only 37% of the population is covered under the Public Distribution System and has ration cards, and nearly 70% of the population lives in slum or slum-like conditions. Large number of poor and marginalised persons have been excluded from the ambit of the PDS due to difficulties faced in getting a ration card such as complex application procedures and insistence on furnishing of documents, DRRAA said.
DRRAA was represented by senior advocate Sanjay Parikh and Prasanna S. The next hearing is scheduled for January 7, 2020.

Comments

TRENDING

A comrade in culture and controversy: Yao Wenyuan’s revolutionary legacy

By Harsh Thakor*  This year marks two important anniversaries in Chinese revolutionary history—the 20th death anniversary of Yao Wenyuan, and the 50th anniversary of his seminal essay "On the Social Basis of the Lin Biao Anti-Party Clique". These milestones invite reflection on the man whose pen ignited the first sparks of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution and whose sharp ideological interventions left an indelible imprint on the political and cultural landscape of socialist China.

What's behind Donald Trump's 'narco-state' accusation against Venezuela

By Manolo De Los Santos  The US government has revived its campaign to label Venezuela a "narco-state", accusing its top leadership of drug trafficking and slapping hefty bounties on their heads for capture. This campaign, which only momentarily took a backseat, is a strategic fabrication, not a factual assessment. This accusation, particularly amplified under the Trump Administration, is a calculated smokescreen to justify a long-standing agenda: the overthrow of the Venezuelan government and the seizure of its vast oil and mineral resources. A closer examination of the facts reveals a country that has actively fought drug trafficking on its own terms and a US government with a clear and consistent history of destabilizing independent countries in Latin America.

Two more "aadhaar-linked" Jharkhand deaths: 17 die of starvation since Sept 2017

Kaleshwar's sons Santosh and Mantosh Counterview Desk A fact-finding team of the Right to Feed Campaign, pointing towards the death of two more persons due to starvation in Jharkhand, has said that this has happened because of the absence of aadhaar, leading to “persistent lack of food at home and unavailability of any means of earning.” It has disputed the state government claims that these deaths are due to reasons other than starvation, adding, the authorities have “done nothing” to reduce the alarming state of food insecurity in the state.

1857 War of Independence... when Hindu-Muslim separatism, hatred wasn't an issue

"The Sepoy Revolt at Meerut", Illustrated London News, 1857  By Shamsul Islam* Large sections of Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs unitedly challenged the greatest imperialist power, Britain, during India’s First War of Independence which began on May 10, 1857; the day being Sunday. This extraordinary unity, naturally, unnerved the firangees and made them realize that if their rule was to continue in India, it could happen only when Hindus and Muslims, the largest two religious communities were divided on communal lines.

New RTI draft rules inspired by citizen-unfriendly, overtly bureaucratic approach

By Venkatesh Nayak* The Department of Personnel and Training , Government of India has invited comments on a new set of Draft Rules (available in English only) to implement The Right to Information Act, 2005 . The RTI Rules were last amended in 2012 after a long period of consultation with various stakeholders. The Government’s move to put the draft RTI Rules out for people’s comments and suggestions for change is a welcome continuation of the tradition of public consultation. Positive aspects of the Draft RTI Rules While 60-65% of the Draft RTI Rules repeat the content of the 2012 RTI Rules, some new aspects deserve appreciation as they clarify the manner of implementation of key provisions of the RTI Act. These are: Provisions for dealing with non-compliance of the orders and directives of the Central Information Commission (CIC) by public authorities- this was missing in the 2012 RTI Rules. Non-compliance is increasingly becoming a major problem- two of my non-compliance cases are...

Epic war against caste system is constitutional responsibility of elected government

Edited by well-known Gujarat Dalit rights leader Martin Macwan, the book, “Bhed-Bharat: An Account of Injustice and Atrocities on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-18)” (available in English and Gujarati*) is a selection of news articles on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-2018) published by Dalit Shakti Prakashan, Ahmedabad. Preface to the book, in which Macwan seeks to answer key questions on why the book is needed today: *** The thought of compiling a book on atrocities on Dalits and thus present an overall Indian picture had occurred to me a long time ago. Absence of such a comprehensive picture is a major reason for a weak social and political consciousness among Dalits as well as non-Dalits. But gradually the idea took a different form. I found that lay readers don’t understand numbers and don’t like to read well-researched articles. The best way to reach out to them was storytelling. As I started writing in Gujarati and sharing the idea of the book with my friends, it occurred to me that while...

N-power plant at Mithi Virdi: CRZ nod is arbitrary, without jurisdiction

By Krishnakant* A case-appeal has been filed against the order of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and others granting CRZ clearance for establishment of intake and outfall facility for proposed 6000 MWe Nuclear Power Plant at Mithi Virdi, District Bhavnagar, Gujarat by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) vide order in F 11-23 /2014-IA- III dated March 3, 2015. The case-appeal in the National Green Tribunal at Western Bench at Pune is filed by Shaktisinh Gohil, Sarpanch of Jasapara; Hajabhai Dihora of Mithi Virdi; Jagrutiben Gohil of Jasapara; Krishnakant and Rohit Prajapati activist of the Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued a notice to the MoEF&CC, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Gujarat Coastal Zone Management Authority, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and case is kept for hearing on August 20, 2015. Appeal No. 23 of 2015 (WZ) is filed, a...

Ground reality: Israel would a remain Jewish state, attempt to overthrow it will be futile

By NS Venkataraman*  Now that truce has been arrived at between Israel and Hamas for a period of four days and with release of a few hostages from both sides, there is hope that truce would be further extended and the intensity of war would become significantly less. This likely “truce period” gives an opportunity for the sworn supporters and bitter opponents of Hamas as well as Israel and the observers around the world to introspect on the happenings and whether this war could have been avoided. There is prolonged debate for the last several decades as to whom the present region that has been provided to Jews after the World War II belong. View of some people is that Jews have been occupants earlier and therefore, the region should belong to Jews only. However, Christians and those belonging to Islam have also lived in this regions for long period. While Christians make no claim, the dispute is between Jews and those who claim themselves to be Palestinians. In any case...

Fate of Yamuna floodplain still hangs in "balance" despite National Green Tribunal rap on Sri Sri event

By Ashok Shrimali* While the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Thursday reportedly pulled up the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) for granting permission to hold spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's World Culture Festival on the banks of Yamuna, the chief petitioners against the high-profile event Yamuna Jiye Abhiyan has declared, the “fate of the floodplain still hangs in balance.”