Skip to main content

Bombay High Court raps govt for not providing housing to Mahul residents

Senior social activist Medha Patkar addressing Mahul residents
By A Representative
Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority (MHADA) president Uday Samant, a Shiv Sena MLA, has sanctioned the proposal to allot 300 houses to the residents of Mahul, Mumbai's toxic hell. The allotment of houses by MHADA "disapproves" the Maharashtra government stand in the Court about non availability of alternative houses, Mumbai's civil rights organization, Ghar Bachao, Ghar Banao Andolan (GBGBA) has said.
However, GBGBA points out in a statement, the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) and the Slum Rehabilitation Authority (SRA), falling directly under Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis, have "still not found out time to take decision on the matter involving the lives of thousands of residents."
High level of toxicity in Mahul has reportedly caused the death of 150 people since 2015. Two people died this week -- one of cancer and the other due to heart attack. They were healthy before forcefully shifted in Mahul last year.
Meanwhile, the Bombay High Court, in its order based on hearing on December 13, 2018, has rapped the state government for its failure to implement the Court's order of August 8, 2018, when it directed the government to provide alternative housing to Mahul residents. On seeing the finding in the report prepared by IIT Bombay about the infrastructure facility, health, multiple risk hazard, pollution along with other aspects, in Mahul, the High Court said it "confirmed" the complaints which the residents of Mahul were making for more than a year.
Mahul residents' protest has already entered 55th day. They are demanding a meeting with the Chief Minister and resolution of the issue. So far, he has not cared to give an ear to the plight of the 30,000 residents who are facing life threats, GBGBA said, adding, till he takes action to save thousands of live, the dharna would continue in Azad Maidan.

Comments

TRENDING

Gujarat Sachivalaya blacklists, denies entry to woman social activist: Will NHRC probe?

By Kantilal Parmar*  I have approached the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) seeking an independent, impartial, and transparent investigation into a serious incident that took place at the Gujarat Secretariat in Gandhinagar on August 18, 2026. The matter concerns social activist and women’s rights leader Chandrikaben Solanki, who, according to the information available to me, was denied an entry pass to the Secretariat when she went there to meet Gujarat’s Social Justice and Empowerment Minister, Dr. Manishaben Vakil, to raise an issue concerning social justice.

Ample evidence of child labour in South Gujarat's cash rich sugarcane belt: Study

By Rajiv Shah A recent German government-funded study , undertaken jointly by the NGO Prayas Centre for Labour Research and Action and the Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung, which mainly deals examines the working conditions of migrant workers in the cash-rich sugarcane zone of South Gujarat, has gone a long way to suggest large scale prevalence of child labour during the harvesting season.

Right to walk, right to livelihood: Clearing footpaths 'can't mean' clearing out the urban poor

By Aseem Mishra*    India’s cities are locked in a quiet but intensifying struggle over one of their most contested public spaces: the footpath. For pedestrians, a footpath is basic infrastructure—a strip of ground that should allow people to move safely, independently and with dignity. For millions of informal workers, the same stretch of pavement is a workplace, a source of daily income and often the difference between survival and destitution.