Skip to main content

Jignesh Mevani's "U-turn": Says he didn't threaten Muslim bodies with boycott, it's a campaign to defame him

By Our Representative
In a surprise U-turn, Gujarat's well-known Dalit face Jignesh Mevani has said, a "wilfull campaign" is on against him to the effect that he is against Muslim organizations, going so far as to threaten them with boycott. Asserting that he "cannot hope to oppose" organizations like Islamic Relief Committee, Jamiat-e-Ulema-Hind, Jamaat-e-Islami and others, he has said in a video, these have "contributed" in a major way to help and rehabilitate those who remain displaced after the 2002 Gujarat riots.
Mevani's U-turn comes about two weeks after he had declared on February 28, 2018, 16th anniversary of Gujarat riots, he would "boycott" Muslim organizations, which have claimed to have "resettled" thousands of 2002 riot victims. He had said, he would boycott meetings called by them anywhere in India if they did not move to settle the housing rights of about 3,280 families, who still live in sub-human conditions in 83 resettlement colonies.
"I am frequently called by these Muslim organizations to address them all over India. I am going to tell them that I would not come to them till their issues are solved", Mevani, speaking in Gujarati, had underlined amidst a wide applause from representatives of desplaced riot victims, who had gathered for the meeting, which took place at Gujarat Vidyapith on February 28.
Mevani's threat had come following complaints by tens of riot victims at the meeting that they were now being sought to be evicted by the very same organizations that had allowed them to settle down on their land in the aftermath of the riots. Flabbergasted, Mevani, flanked by three other civil rights leaders, had listened to them attentively.
The riot victims had gone so far as to complain that not only their houses were not being regularised and they were deprived of basic amenities, but they were not allowed to sing songs, hold marriage processions or celebrate festivals. In fact, they were being told that their suffering was caused because they adopted "non-Islamic" way of life.
Denying that he ever threatened Muslim organizations, Mevani has now uploaded a Facebook video, where he speaks in Hindi, blaming those seeking to defame him for carrying out an intense propaganda on social media and WhatsApp groups to the effect that he is against Muslim community organizations.
Taking potshots at the Prime Minister and the BJP chief, he says in the video, "I want to make it clear that I am against Modi and Amit Shah. I am against their hollow Gujarat development model. I am not against any religion or caste. And I clearly believe that, after the 2002 riots, it is the Islamic Relief Committee, Jamiat-e-Ulema-Hind, Jamat-e-Islami, and other organizations of the Muslim community, who have stood by and are fighting for those who got displaced and dislocated from their houses."
Pointing out that he "cannot be against" these organizations, and it is "quite childish" to suggest that he threatened them, Mevani says, "Yet, an intentional campaign is on, that I threated them. If I threaten anyone, it will be Modi and Amit Shah." He adds, in his electoral fight for the Gujarat state assembly from Vadgam, Muslims, including women, played a "major role" in his victory.
In the short, two-minute video, Mevani concludes by saying, "In the coming days, we will launch Dalit-Muslim Ekta Manch", asking Muslim organizations to become "part of such a campaign", adding, "Let us come together to fight against Modi’s and Amit Shah’s anti-constitutional Gujarat model. We will fight against them. I appeal to all the organizations and their leaders to come with us and become part of our struggle."

Comments

TRENDING

Whistle-blowing IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt's wife suspects foul play after truck hits her car

By Nachiketa Desai*
Paranoia has seized Shweta Bhatt, wife of suspended Indian Police Service (IPS) officer Sanjiv Bhatt, after the car she was driving was rammed in broad day light. According to Shweta Bhatt, it was beacon light-flashing truck without registration number plate. The incident took place on January 7, just a day ahead of the Gujarat High Court was scheduled to take up the bail application of Sanjiv Bhatt, arrested last year for "involvement" in a 23-year-old case.

Call to support IIM-Bangalore professor, censured for seeking action against Uniliver

Counterview Desk
Sections of the Indian Institute of Managements (IIMs) across India have strongly reacted to the decision to censure Dr Deepak Malghan, a faulty at IIM-Bangalore. Prabhir Vishnu Poruthiyil, who is faculty at IIM-Tiruchirapalli, has sought wider solidarity with Dr Malghan, saying, "The administration has censured Deepak for merely suggesting a meaningful action against Hindustan Unilever for their abysmal environmental record" by “disinviting” it for campus placement.

Morari Bapu, who has installed new statues of Ram, Laxman, Hanuman without weapons

By Sandeep Pandey*
A saint is one who can give some inner peace by his/her voice. This will happen only when s(he) will talk about love and harmony. Morari Bapu is one saint who has been conveying the message of love, peace, harmony, fraternity, etc. Today when a number of saffron clad figures with aggressive posture, spewing venom, fanning hatred to polarise voters are at the forefront of politics of Hindutva it is a relief to see Morari Bapu in a different mould.

99% MGNREGA funds "exhausted", Govt of India makes no additional sanctions: Study

Counterview Desk
A letter, addressed to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, and prepared by senior activists led by Aruna Roy on behalf of the Peoples’ Action for Employment Guarantee (PAEG), and signed, among others, by 80 members of Parliament, has regretted that, despite repeated public statements by his government promising employment and job creation that will boost the country’s growth, the country’s only employment guarantee programme, Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA), “is being systematically undermined.”

Rejoinder: Worldwide anxiety post-Fukishima is fading, slowly and steadily

By Dr KS Parthasarathy* 
EAS Sarma, former Secretary, Government of India (GoI) in a letter addressed to the Secretary, Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), GoI, stated that, there has been "worldwide anxiety about the consequences of catastrophic nuclear accidents, either due to manual lapses or natural calamities" (Counterview, December 2, 2018). "In the recent years, globally, the pace of growth of nuclear power has escalated in leaps and bounds, causing a great deal of public concern and apprehension."

Nuclear reactors sought from French giant "not safe": Letter to Modi on Jaitapur project

Counterview Desk
Amidst reports that the French nuclear giant EDF has submitted a “techno-commercial offer” for the world’s largest nuclear power park proposed in Maharashtra’s Jaitapur nuclear power park in Jaitapur on the Maharashtra coast, Dr EAS Sarma, India’s former Union Secretary in the Minister of Power, and an eminent voice in the civil society, has written an open letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who also heads Department of Atomic Energy (DAE),  protesting the move.

World Bank clarifies: Its 26th rank to India not for universal access to power but for ease of doing business

By Our Representative
In a major embarrassment to the Government of India, the World Bank has reportedly clarified that it has not ranked India 26th out of 130 countries for providing power to its population. The top international banker’s clarification comes following Union Power Minister Piyush Goyal’s claim that India has “improved to 26 position from 99” in access to electricity in just one year.

Kerala land being acquired using "draconian, anti-people" National Highway Act, 1956

Counterview Desk
In a letter Chief Minister of Kerala Pinarayi Vijayan, senior activists and politicians have insisted that the Kerala government should not agree to "inhuman displacement and buid-operate-transfer (BOT) Toll system", imposed by the Government of India and the National Highway Authority of India, for widening the current National Highway (NH) 66.

Kaiga NPP expansion: Karnataka to get just 400 MW, but lose thick forest, fresh water

Counterview Desk
In an open letter to the chairman and members of the Atomic energy Commission (AEC) on the issue of Kaiga nuclear power plant (NPP) expansion plan in Karnataka, Shankar Sharma, well-known power policy analyst, has argued that that in case of expansion, the site will face “exponential increase in radiation emission risks”, underlining, “Nuclear safety experts identify such a scenario as enhanced risk for NPPs with multiple reactors and shared technical facilities."
Sharma says the questions that also be asked whether Karnataka should lose more than 54 hectares of thick forests and about 152,304 cubic meters of fresh water per day from Kali river for a meager benefit of 400 MW from the Kaiga NPP, for which “there are many benign alternative options available for the state at much lower overall costs to the state.”
Text of the letter: This has reference to the public hearing under the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Rule 2006 of Ministry of Environment, Fore…

Uttarakhand High Court: Biodiversity boards can impose fees on Ramdev's Divya Pharmacy

By Mridhu Tandon
In a significant decision, the Uttarakhand High Court on December 21, 2018 has dismissed the writ petition filed by Divya Pharmacy founded by Baba Ramdev and Acharya Balakrishnan, challenging the demand of the Uttarakhand Biodiversity Board (UBB) imposing fees under the provisions of the Fair and Equitable Benefit Sharing (FEBS).