Skip to main content

12 students debarred from BHU for protesting against sexual violence, as culprits roam free: NAPM

By A Representative
Strongly condemning the expulsion of 12 students from the Banaras Hindu University (BHU), the National Coordination of People's Movements (NAPM), India's top civil rights network, has said that this has been done even though the police has withdrawn all charges put against them following massive students' movement last year in September 2017 in the wake of incidents of sexual violence in BHU.
Thousands of student students were lathi-charged on instructions of the BHU administration, and the government refused to talk to the students who came to the streets demanding safe and democratic campus, NAPM said, adding, a year has passed but there is no action against the culprits. Instead of taking action against those responsible for sexual violence, the BHU administration has again taken action against students.
NAPM regretted, earlier a group of mediapersons and the BHU's chief proctor tried to make out that the September 2017 movement was sponsored. It was sought to be propagated that pizza and cold drinks filled in trucks were brought to feed the participants in the movement. After this, the students, who went to seek explanation on this baseless and irresponsible statement of the chief proctor, were booked in serious criminal offenses.
NAPM continued, the police investigation has found that the students are innocent. But surprisingly, the university administration has debarred 12 students from taking admission in any future course. They are being threatened to be removed from the hostel. The dictatorship and discriminatory rules of administration have been discussed in Parliament.

Comments

TRENDING

Gujarat Sachivalaya blacklists, denies entry to woman social activist: Will NHRC probe?

By Kantilal Parmar*  I have approached the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) seeking an independent, impartial, and transparent investigation into a serious incident that took place at the Gujarat Secretariat in Gandhinagar on August 18, 2026. The matter concerns social activist and women’s rights leader Chandrikaben Solanki, who, according to the information available to me, was denied an entry pass to the Secretariat when she went there to meet Gujarat’s Social Justice and Empowerment Minister, Dr. Manishaben Vakil, to raise an issue concerning social justice.

Ample evidence of child labour in South Gujarat's cash rich sugarcane belt: Study

By Rajiv Shah A recent German government-funded study , undertaken jointly by the NGO Prayas Centre for Labour Research and Action and the Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung, which mainly deals examines the working conditions of migrant workers in the cash-rich sugarcane zone of South Gujarat, has gone a long way to suggest large scale prevalence of child labour during the harvesting season.

Right to walk, right to livelihood: Clearing footpaths 'can't mean' clearing out the urban poor

By Aseem Mishra*    India’s cities are locked in a quiet but intensifying struggle over one of their most contested public spaces: the footpath. For pedestrians, a footpath is basic infrastructure—a strip of ground that should allow people to move safely, independently and with dignity. For millions of informal workers, the same stretch of pavement is a workplace, a source of daily income and often the difference between survival and destitution.