Skip to main content

Families block access to Adani's Australian coalmine project: 4th protest since Sept 9

By A Representative
In third such incident since September 9, a group of 30 people "disrupted" on Thursday at powerful Indian tycoon Adani’s controversial Carmichael mine, blocking access from the Adani work camp in central Queensland. Similar protests took place earlier on September 9, September 13 and September 18.
The group included a number of young families, claiming they were supporting school-children led global climate strike. That day 300,000 Australians in over 100 towns and cities marched, calling for a ban on new coal mines.
Young mother Kate Coxall said, “We are already seeing the damaging consequences of climate breakdown, but it is our children who will be forced to deal with the worst effects in the decades to come. This is a moral failure of today’s older generations, who have known for years of the damage we are causing but failed to do anything about it."
“Those of us who care for the ability of our kids to live healthy and fulfilling lives must take action now to cure our addiction to fossil fuels and stop irresponsible new projects like Adani before they make things worse”, she added.
Seventeen-year old student Sasha Storer said, “Young people don’t need to be lectured by politicians telling them to stay in school. It is the older generations running our political, business and media sectors who need to take a lesson from the school-kids – a lesson in taking responsibility for your actions when they are risking the safety of the entire planet.”
The climate strikes, which took place a week ago, saw more than four million people in over 150 countries march, demanding immediate action on on climate change. In Australia, organisers listed three demands: No new fossil fuel projects, 100% renewable energy generation by 2030, and a just transition for workers to sustainable industries.

Comments

TRENDING

Right to walk, right to livelihood: Clearing footpaths 'can't mean' clearing out the urban poor

By Aseem Mishra*    India’s cities are locked in a quiet but intensifying struggle over one of their most contested public spaces: the footpath. For pedestrians, a footpath is basic infrastructure—a strip of ground that should allow people to move safely, independently and with dignity. For millions of informal workers, the same stretch of pavement is a workplace, a source of daily income and often the difference between survival and destitution.

Ample evidence of child labour in South Gujarat's cash rich sugarcane belt: Study

By Rajiv Shah A recent German government-funded study , undertaken jointly by the NGO Prayas Centre for Labour Research and Action and the Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung, which mainly deals examines the working conditions of migrant workers in the cash-rich sugarcane zone of South Gujarat, has gone a long way to suggest large scale prevalence of child labour during the harvesting season.

Women lawyers petition Supreme Court, seek reconsideration of Aug 4 order on bar council co-option

By A Representative   A group of women advocates who stood sixth and seventh among female candidates in the recent Bar Council elections have filed a petition before the Supreme Court, seeking a recall and reconsideration of the Court’s August 4 order determining the mechanism for co-opting women into State Bar Councils.