Skip to main content

"Breakdown" in discipline among security forces involved in anti-Maoist operations in Chhattisgarh: NCST report

By Our Representative
The National Commission for Scheduled Tribes (NCST) believes that there is a “breakdown of discipline” among security forces deployed on anti-Maoist operations in south Chhattisgarh. It said this in a report prepared following its probe into allegations of mass sexual violence against adivasi women, assaults and looting by police and paramilitary force in the Bijapur and Sukma districts.
Focusing on events October 2015 in Bijapur and in January 2016 in Bijapur and Sukma during the security forces’ anti-Maoist operations, an NCST report said, investigations into charges of sexual assault, including rape, were “unsatisfactory”, and there was “no progress” in identifying those who attacked the women.
NCST’s chairperson Rameshwar Oraon, accompanied by two others, visited the two district headquarters between April 3 and 5. They could not visit the villages to make spot inquiry as the authorities said it was “unsafe.”
The commission found that in the three cases it investigated, the district police had set up “special teams” of two or three members of police personnel to investigate the violence. However, though six months have passed following complaints, no arrests have been made, nor have there been any charge sheets.
The team was told about how, last year in October, in Pegdapalli, Chinnagellur, Peddagellur, Burgicher, and Gundam villages of Bijapur, three women, including a teenager and a pregnant woman, were gangraped by members of security forces. It was also told about repetition of such assaults from January 11 to 14 during anti-Maoist operation.
In all these instances, the villagers complained that security forces had also beaten them up, ransacked their homes and looted money food, and other possessions.
The NCST report, running into 15 pages, said that there was a delay in conducting medical examinations of the victims, pointing out that the FIRs were delayed despite a 2013 Supreme Court ruling that an amendment to India’s anti-rape laws makes it mandatory for the police to file a case as soon as a complaint of sexual violence is brought to them, it was pointed out.
In Bijapur, the team met lawyers and women activists, who had helped guide adivasi women villagers through legal procedures, apart from local police officials and the state government’s chief secretary and home secretary in Raipur, the state capital.
The report says that the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act has not been applied in the FIRs, despite the fact that all the complainants are adivasis.
It believes, conditions for sexual violence were “created” because the security forces lived in villagers’ homes during operations and the absence of women officers in the deployed units. It asks the government to “issue orders that security forces must not, under any circumstances, live in the homes of villagers while on an operation.”

NGO report finds human rights violations

In a separate report, a team of activists from the Women Against Sexual Violence and State Repression (WSS), which visited the rural areas of Bijapur, said that “there has been a history of rampant looting and violence in these villages.”
In one such instance last year, during a large search and combing operation, the security forces entered village Itaavar, and camped in the house of Sukku Kunjam. “They took fish and chickens and one quintal of rice stored at the house and started cooking”, the report said, adding, “On the November 23, they picked one of Sukku’s sisters and dragged her away.”
It added, “The other sister followed to save her, but she was taken away by the forces as well. The women were dragged into the surrounding forests – they were stripped and beaten. For two days, they were kept in the jungle and later dropped off at the neighbouring village of Dowal Nendra.”
Sukku Kunjam himself was taken to Korcholi, from where he tried to flee along with other men of the village. “However he was shot and killed. His body was wrapped and taken to Bijapur Thana, where he was falsely declared a Naxal”, the report said.
In a search and combing operation early this year, the report said, a young girl, Mangli Pottam, who was out grazing cattle with her sister and friend, was attacked.
“Mangli’s clothes were torn and they threatened to kill her. They also threatened to kill Tulsi, her friend. Mangli’s sister, Somli’s blouse was ripped off. She was dragged by the hair and flung to the ground. They hit her on the stomach with a rifle butt”, the report said.

Comments

TRENDING

#MeToo moment in Hyderabad Urdu varsity? Two girl students seek action against authorities

Counterview Desk
Has the #MeToo movement reached Maulana Azad National Urdu University (MAANU)? It would seem so if a recent letter by newly-appointed chancellor Firoz Bakht Ahmed to MAANU vice-chancellor Dr Aslam Parvaiz is any indication. Seeking reinstatement of two girl victims of “sexual harassment and humiliation”, the letter specifically names head of the department of the Media Centre for Journalism, suspecting, the problem could be much deeper.
Text of the letter: It is a matter of utmost perturbation for me to receive the two representations from the girls studying in the MCJ (Media Center for Journalism) regarding their sexual and subsequently, mental and social harassment at the hands of Prof Ehtesham Ahmad Khan, the HOD, MCJ.
We do not know, how many girls have been exploited by him and preferred to be silent for saving their family’s honour; however, there are two brave girls who stood to the depraved advances and misuse by Prof Ehtesham and came up with written complai…

"Ineligible" funding of Sardar Statue in Gujarat: CAG tells Central PSUs, it's not a heritage CSR activity

By Our Representative
The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India, in its recent report on Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSE), has qualified public sector undertakings’ (PSUs') funding the 182-metre world’s highest Sardar Statue, currently being constructed in the Narmada river downstream of the Sardar Sarovar dam as an “ineligible” corporate social responsibility (CSR) activity.

Gujarat BJP MLAs, youth leader "incited" attack on North Indians: Cong releases video

Counterview Desk
Senior Gujarat Congress leader Shaktisinh Gohil, currently in charge of Bihar and national spokesperson, All-India Congress Committee, has sent a legal notice to chief minister Vijay Rupani threatening criminal case and civil defamation suit for accusing him with "baseless statement" that he was responsible for attacks on north Indians in Gujarat.

29th "NRC-related" suicide in Assam, as Nirod Baran Das takes his life by hanging on a fan

By Our Representative
Reporting 29th case of National Register of Citizens (NRC)-driven suicide in Assam, one of India’s human rights campaign sites has said that, on October 20, tragedy struck Kharupetia town in Darrang district of Assam, when a retired school teacher and advocate Nirod Baran Das “took his life by hanging himself to a fan in his home.” The report adds, “The NRC process has so far claimed over two dozen such lives in the past four months alone.”

"Highly irregular" for PSUs to fund Sardar Statue under Corporate Social Responsibility

Counterview Desk
In a letter to I Srinivas, secretary, Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Government of India, former secretary (economic affairs), Ministry of Finance, EAS Sarma, has raised questions on the funding of the Sardar Patel statue in South Gujarat by Central Public Sector Undertaking (CPSUs) relying on the Comptroller and Auditor General report (No 18/2018).

Murder of Tamil Nadu teenage Dalit girl: "Stoic silence" despite #MeToo movement

Counterview Desk
Brinelle D'souza, who is with the Centre for Health and Mental Health, School of Social Work, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai, has prepared a strong statement to protest the brutal murder of 13-year-old Rajalakshmi. "Other than a few media reports, this gruesome killing has not caught national attention despite a very vibrant #MeToo campaign currently underway", regrets D'souza.

Post-MJ Akbar resignation: #MeToo movement and fears of backlash

By Sheshu Babu*
For the last few days, #MeToo movement has picked up momentum and many women are coming out with horrific tales of severe harassment in their past lives. They are not afraid anymore to expose famous persons including those at ministerial levels. As a senior journalist Neeraja Chowdhury opined (“An exit, a beginning”, October 18, 2018, indianexpress.com), "The #MeToo revelations are like the eruption of a volcano which was imminent, given the journey working women have covered. It was not easy to make public what they had gone through,and take on powerful men.”

World Bank clarifies: Its 26th rank to India not for universal access to power but for ease of doing business

By Our Representative
In a major embarrassment to the Government of India, the World Bank has reportedly clarified that it has not ranked India 26th out of 130 countries for providing power to its population. The top international banker’s clarification comes following Union Power Minister Piyush Goyal’s claim that India has “improved to 26 position from 99” in access to electricity in just one year.

Bank account frozen, raid on Amnesty office: Govt of India "treating" human rights NGOs like criminal enterprises

By Abhirr VP*
Amnesty India’s bank accounts have been frozen by the Enforcement Directorate, effectively stopping its work. Amnesty India is thus the latest target of the government’s assault on civil society in the country. The accounts of Greenpeace India were frozen earlier this month.

60 ex-civil servants seek release of CAG reports on Rafale, demonetisation before 2019 polls

Counterview Desk
As many as 60 retired civil servants have asked President Ram Nath Kovind to expedite the release of Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) reports on demonetisation and the Rafale deal. The letter, signed mainly by former Indian Administrative Service, Indian Foreign Service and Indian Police Service officers, regrets that the status of the audit is "unclear”. According to them, “An impression is gaining ground that CAG is deliberately delaying its audit reports on demonetisation and Rafale deal till after the May 2019 elections so as not to embarrass the present government”.