Skip to main content

Sitharaman's offer for rural jobs to 'create' just 3 crore rural jobs. Demand: 12 crore jobs

By Amarjeet Kaur*
The final package, the fifth one in a row, announced by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on May 17 was a fiasco. Sitharaman during her press conference for two hours and six minutes spent more than an hour detailing the policy actions of her government’s last six years’ rule, repeating the already provided proposals during the two budgets after coming to power for the second time, even as reiterating her briefings on the four earlier packages she had announced over the previous four days.
Much hype created around the Rs 20 lakh crore package to fight Covid-19 proved to be hollow as the real input has been only between Rs 3.5 lakh to Rs 4 lakh crore. Different economists have been putting the real input between 1 and 2% of the GDP only.
Sitharaman gave just five minutes for her policy statement on the health sector, as if she was making a passing reference to it, only forgetting, wilfully, that the nation is dealing with a health emergency. She provided breakup for the already announced package of Rs 15,000 crore by the Prime Minister. She also repeated the previous announcement favouring private players in the health sector.
There was no commitment to strengthen the public health system to the meet present and future health emergency. Rather, the only talk was to have district level test labs for infections. We at the All-India Trade Union Congress (AITUC) have been demanding for the immediate infusion in the health sector not less than Rs 1 lakh crore to meet the requirements of of health professionals, upgrading the health system. Increase in health budget, specially the public health, system has been our demand.
Similarly, her schemes for education address a small section of our society, ignoring the needs of the children of vast majority of poor masses and the ground reality situation of the families which comprise almost 100 crore population of our country.
In regard to the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA), the announcement of additional Rs 40,000 crore is a very meagre in the face of the real pressure on the rural economy with crores of additional workers who are going back to their native places and would need work.
There is an urgent need for immediate infusion of Rs 1 lakh crore in the health sector in order to meet professionals' requirements
Sitharaman said that 300 crore mandays will be covered, which means that only three crore families will get the benefit of only 100 days per year. It has been reported in Parliament that in 2018-2019, as many as 5.47 crore households availed of MGNREGA. During the current Covid-19 period, the Finance Minister in one of her briefings had said 40-50% more people have enrolled. That means, as per the government’s own admission, it comes to eight crore people.
Now with many more people wanting to have jobs in the countryside, there is need to create not less than 12 crore jobs under this scheme in rural India with increased number of workdays from 100 to 150.
Amarjeet Kaur
It is to be noted that the government has been continuously reducing the funds for MGNREGA. Number of districts was reduced in contradiction to the legal requirement of this scheme being demand based. In the 2020-21 budget, the allocation for MGNREGA is Rs 61,500 crore, which is less than the provision of 2019-20, which was Rs 71,200 crore. This sector needs not less than Rs 1.5 lakh crore of additional infusion in the present circumstances.
Meanwhile, the government has failed to provide Rs 7,500 for each family in the unorganized sector and daily/ casual/ self-employed persons who have suddenly lost their livelihood for their sustenance, a demand which had been raised not only by trade unions but from all sections of society, including political parties.
Neither has the government conceded to the demands of trade unions that the wages of workers of small and medium enterprises (SMEs) be paid by the government April onwards during the lockdown period and further on till SMEs resume work.
Interestingly, Sitharaman spent less than five minutes to quickly mention the figure of allocation to various sectors to add up to show it reaches more than Rs 20 lakh crore, which was more of a jugglery.
In answer to a question she accepted that the money will be mainly from borrowings, wondering, why should one ask from where the money comes, why not talk about where it will go. She was arrogant to the hilt on questions being asked about the miseries of the stranded labourers and the arrangements for them to reach their native places.
---
General Secretary, All-India Trade Union Congress

Comments

Unknown said…
Very good counter. So far the Indian economy prior to COVID was due to consumption alone and not due to manufacturing or service sector contributions. With Corina disturbing the consumption on account of no joba and no income the way to revive economy was by restoring the consumption by providing money or income to people. The artcile has highlighted as to how the package is not stimulus and also how it is hollow for poor and middle class people.
Unknown said…
Amrjeet Kaur analysed finance minister package propaganda in systematic and scentific way.The real picture of Idia could be understood through Amarjeet writtings.This is a right intervention at right time in interest of working people of people of India.
Anand Deepayan
Anonymous said…
The word congress should have printed on top. Wouldn't have taken the burden to read this logic , economics defying article.
Please be like this so that we elect right leader to lead the country

TRENDING

A comrade in culture and controversy: Yao Wenyuan’s revolutionary legacy

By Harsh Thakor*  This year marks two important anniversaries in Chinese revolutionary history—the 20th death anniversary of Yao Wenyuan, and the 50th anniversary of his seminal essay "On the Social Basis of the Lin Biao Anti-Party Clique". These milestones invite reflection on the man whose pen ignited the first sparks of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution and whose sharp ideological interventions left an indelible imprint on the political and cultural landscape of socialist China.

Two more "aadhaar-linked" Jharkhand deaths: 17 die of starvation since Sept 2017

Kaleshwar's sons Santosh and Mantosh Counterview Desk A fact-finding team of the Right to Feed Campaign, pointing towards the death of two more persons due to starvation in Jharkhand, has said that this has happened because of the absence of aadhaar, leading to “persistent lack of food at home and unavailability of any means of earning.” It has disputed the state government claims that these deaths are due to reasons other than starvation, adding, the authorities have “done nothing” to reduce the alarming state of food insecurity in the state.

What's behind Donald Trump's 'narco-state' accusation against Venezuela

By Manolo De Los Santos  The US government has revived its campaign to label Venezuela a "narco-state", accusing its top leadership of drug trafficking and slapping hefty bounties on their heads for capture. This campaign, which only momentarily took a backseat, is a strategic fabrication, not a factual assessment. This accusation, particularly amplified under the Trump Administration, is a calculated smokescreen to justify a long-standing agenda: the overthrow of the Venezuelan government and the seizure of its vast oil and mineral resources. A closer examination of the facts reveals a country that has actively fought drug trafficking on its own terms and a US government with a clear and consistent history of destabilizing independent countries in Latin America.

Epic war against caste system is constitutional responsibility of elected government

Edited by well-known Gujarat Dalit rights leader Martin Macwan, the book, “Bhed-Bharat: An Account of Injustice and Atrocities on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-18)” (available in English and Gujarati*) is a selection of news articles on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-2018) published by Dalit Shakti Prakashan, Ahmedabad. Preface to the book, in which Macwan seeks to answer key questions on why the book is needed today: *** The thought of compiling a book on atrocities on Dalits and thus present an overall Indian picture had occurred to me a long time ago. Absence of such a comprehensive picture is a major reason for a weak social and political consciousness among Dalits as well as non-Dalits. But gradually the idea took a different form. I found that lay readers don’t understand numbers and don’t like to read well-researched articles. The best way to reach out to them was storytelling. As I started writing in Gujarati and sharing the idea of the book with my friends, it occurred to me that while...

New RTI draft rules inspired by citizen-unfriendly, overtly bureaucratic approach

By Venkatesh Nayak* The Department of Personnel and Training , Government of India has invited comments on a new set of Draft Rules (available in English only) to implement The Right to Information Act, 2005 . The RTI Rules were last amended in 2012 after a long period of consultation with various stakeholders. The Government’s move to put the draft RTI Rules out for people’s comments and suggestions for change is a welcome continuation of the tradition of public consultation. Positive aspects of the Draft RTI Rules While 60-65% of the Draft RTI Rules repeat the content of the 2012 RTI Rules, some new aspects deserve appreciation as they clarify the manner of implementation of key provisions of the RTI Act. These are: Provisions for dealing with non-compliance of the orders and directives of the Central Information Commission (CIC) by public authorities- this was missing in the 2012 RTI Rules. Non-compliance is increasingly becoming a major problem- two of my non-compliance cases are...

N-power plant at Mithi Virdi: CRZ nod is arbitrary, without jurisdiction

By Krishnakant* A case-appeal has been filed against the order of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and others granting CRZ clearance for establishment of intake and outfall facility for proposed 6000 MWe Nuclear Power Plant at Mithi Virdi, District Bhavnagar, Gujarat by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) vide order in F 11-23 /2014-IA- III dated March 3, 2015. The case-appeal in the National Green Tribunal at Western Bench at Pune is filed by Shaktisinh Gohil, Sarpanch of Jasapara; Hajabhai Dihora of Mithi Virdi; Jagrutiben Gohil of Jasapara; Krishnakant and Rohit Prajapati activist of the Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued a notice to the MoEF&CC, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Gujarat Coastal Zone Management Authority, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and case is kept for hearing on August 20, 2015. Appeal No. 23 of 2015 (WZ) is filed, a...

1857 War of Independence... when Hindu-Muslim separatism, hatred wasn't an issue

"The Sepoy Revolt at Meerut", Illustrated London News, 1857  By Shamsul Islam* Large sections of Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs unitedly challenged the greatest imperialist power, Britain, during India’s First War of Independence which began on May 10, 1857; the day being Sunday. This extraordinary unity, naturally, unnerved the firangees and made them realize that if their rule was to continue in India, it could happen only when Hindus and Muslims, the largest two religious communities were divided on communal lines.

Ground reality: Israel would a remain Jewish state, attempt to overthrow it will be futile

By NS Venkataraman*  Now that truce has been arrived at between Israel and Hamas for a period of four days and with release of a few hostages from both sides, there is hope that truce would be further extended and the intensity of war would become significantly less. This likely “truce period” gives an opportunity for the sworn supporters and bitter opponents of Hamas as well as Israel and the observers around the world to introspect on the happenings and whether this war could have been avoided. There is prolonged debate for the last several decades as to whom the present region that has been provided to Jews after the World War II belong. View of some people is that Jews have been occupants earlier and therefore, the region should belong to Jews only. However, Christians and those belonging to Islam have also lived in this regions for long period. While Christians make no claim, the dispute is between Jews and those who claim themselves to be Palestinians. In any case...

Fate of Yamuna floodplain still hangs in "balance" despite National Green Tribunal rap on Sri Sri event

By Ashok Shrimali* While the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Thursday reportedly pulled up the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) for granting permission to hold spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's World Culture Festival on the banks of Yamuna, the chief petitioners against the high-profile event Yamuna Jiye Abhiyan has declared, the “fate of the floodplain still hangs in balance.”