Skip to main content

Parochialism? Himachal govt refuses to show empathy towards workers of other states

By Rajeev Khanna*
Eleven trade unions, progressive groups and civil society organizations in the hill state of Himachal Pradesh (HP) have come forward with an appeal to protect the constitutional rights of the working class. These groups have in particular drawn attention to the plight of the migrant labour which like its counterparts in other parts of the country is extremely stressed.
The organizations have pointed that the saga of heart wrenching exodus of stranded migrant workers from cities back to villages in the wake of the Covid-19 lock-down is now unfolding in Himachal's industrial belt of Baddi as well.
The Baddi-Barotiwala-Nalagarh Industrial area in the Solan district of Himachal Pradesh houses more than 2,000 industrial units and is known as the pharma hub of Asia having an annual turnover of more than Rs 60,000 crore. This zone has a major concentration of migrant workers, possibly between 1.25 lakh to 1.5 lakh people mainly from Uttar Pradesh (UP), Bihar, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh (MP) and Orissa.
Most of these workers are subcontracted daily wage labourers who live here in shanties and extremely congested dwellings on rent. Hoping for a better future for their children and moved by the socio-economic inequities and poverty in their native villages, these people are forced to leave their homes to strive to work and earn in highly polluted environments and stressful conditions.
Since the lock-down led to the closure of factories, these workers in the absence of any sources of income ran out of the savings, if any, to buy rations and pay off their room rents.
The organizations have pointed that in the initial period, the contractors took care of some relief which soon ended and accessing the government sponsored relief has not been easy either. Their only desire and demand, for the last month and a half has been to be able to return to their homes, but it is unfortunate that, while the Himachal government has been able to bring back its native residents, the same efficiency and empathy has not been shown in ensuring the return of these workers who contribute hugely to the state's economy.
“For instance, on April 29, 2020, after the Ministry of Home Affairs ordered that movement of stranded workers be facilitated by state governments, stranded workers from the state of Uttar Pradesh have been consistently reaching out to various administrative authorities including appointed nodal officers and helpline and control room numbers in both states (HP and UP) demanding that their return back to their home be allowed and facilitated at the earliest but no support has been provided till date,” the appeal says.
It further reads, “They have also registered themselves on the portals for online registration of migrant labourers initiated by both HP and UP governments, but no further update or follow up-call was received by them as they waited expectantly. The administrative authorities have also been passing the issue from one department to another which shows the lack of clarity and guidelines within the administrative apparatus."
Private operators plying buses with state permission have been charging exuberant amounts from the already deprived workers
It adds, “While the Himachal government says that the consent from the state of UP is pending, the UP government has said that it is the responsibility of the 'host' government to at least arrange for transportation of workers up to the borders of the concerned states by bus or other means.”
The organizations issuing the appeal have further stated, “Although the news has clearly stated that Himachal government will bear the cost of travel for migrant labourers, private operators have started plying their buses with the permission of administration but have been charging exuberant amounts from the already deprived workers. This has been causing further panic and stress among these communities.”
They state, “Over the last few days, with no Government assistance forthcoming, after losing all hope and patience, workers have picked up their bags and baggage, their tiny children, the elders and the women and have started walking on foot the journey of several kilometres in a desperate attempt to return back to their homes.”
“The State apparatus has constantly been advising the migrant labourers to stay back but such an expectation from the workers is not just insensitive and irresponsible but a violation of their fundamental constitutional rights", the appeal adds.
It has been underlined that any ‘coercive or intimidating’ measure in regard to forceful retention of these workers will lead to further psychological insecurities and loss of their trust in the Himachal government.
“We also would like to put in the know of the Himachal government that the Haryana Government has provided free transport and food to many workers who walked more than 40 kms from Baddi to Panchkula, before being sent to UP border. This goes to show that if the local administration and state governments have the will then this arrangement could be easily made,” the appeal reads.
The organizations have also criticized the state cabinet for its anti worker moves. “It's to be noted that with effect from May 21, 2020 to May 20, 2020, the HP government has declared that the working hours for adult workers will be increased to 12 hours with one interval after six hours and that all factories will be exempted from the provisions of Section 51 (Weekly Hour), Section 54 (Daily Hour), Section 55 (Interval Of Rest), Section 56 (Spread Hours),” the appeal has stated while calling for withdrawal of these moves."
They have listed their demands as:
  1. Himachal government needs to coordinate with other state governments and urgently facilitate movement of migrant labourers stuck in Baddi-Barotiwala-Nalagarh Industrial area.
  2. Public transportation by bus for the evacuation up till the state borders needs to be arranged by the state government free of cost. 
  3. Up until then a mechanism of ensuring that relief rations with regular follow-ups are provided to the families of stranded migrant workers without having to make repeated demands needs to be put in place. 
  4. The status update of these arrangements should be released in public domain through the media and regular press releases so that people have all information and clarity is established. 
  5. The government should the suppression of freedom of press through the FIRs on media persons reporting on issues of migrant workers, These charges be dropped immediately. 
  6. The suspension and dilution of labour laws along with the provision of extension of working hours for adult workers from 8 hours to 12 hours be immediately withdrawn. 
The organizations have further stated, “It is the responsibility of State and administration to ensure that the dignity, the constitutional and human rights of these migrant labourers are protected and respected." 
They insist, "This has also been reiterated by a recent order issued by High Court of Uttarakhand where giving 24 hours, the court directed the state government to submit a detailed report on the mitigating measures taken in regard to the ration relief and the issue of migrants stranded in the state stating whether these labourers wish to stay back or return, they are the responsibility of the UK state. We urge the government of Himachal to take urgent proactive measures to ensure that migrant workers who want to leave the state are provided this support immediately and their rights and interests are constitutionally preserved.”
The groups, trade unions and organizations who have issued this appeal include All India Trade Union Congress (AITUC), Bharat GyanVigyanSamiti, Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU), Citizens’ Rights Forum at Kangra, Communist Party of India, Himachal Pradesh Himalayan Students Ensemble (HSE), Himdhara Environment Collective, Jagori Grameen, Mountain Women Rights Forum, People's Action for People in Need (PAPN) and People's Campaign for Socio Economic Equity.
The move has been supported by several organizations in Uttar Pradesh including Sangatin Kisan Majdoor Sangathan (SKMS), MNREGA Majdoor Union, Purvanchal Kisan Union, Humsafar, Mahila Yuva Adhikar Manch, Rihai Manch and National Alliance of People's Movements in Uttar Pradesh.
Several national level organizations have also backed the move.
---
*Senior journalist based in Solan, Himachal Pradesh

Comments

TRENDING

A comrade in culture and controversy: Yao Wenyuan’s revolutionary legacy

By Harsh Thakor*  This year marks two important anniversaries in Chinese revolutionary history—the 20th death anniversary of Yao Wenyuan, and the 50th anniversary of his seminal essay "On the Social Basis of the Lin Biao Anti-Party Clique". These milestones invite reflection on the man whose pen ignited the first sparks of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution and whose sharp ideological interventions left an indelible imprint on the political and cultural landscape of socialist China.

Two more "aadhaar-linked" Jharkhand deaths: 17 die of starvation since Sept 2017

Kaleshwar's sons Santosh and Mantosh Counterview Desk A fact-finding team of the Right to Feed Campaign, pointing towards the death of two more persons due to starvation in Jharkhand, has said that this has happened because of the absence of aadhaar, leading to “persistent lack of food at home and unavailability of any means of earning.” It has disputed the state government claims that these deaths are due to reasons other than starvation, adding, the authorities have “done nothing” to reduce the alarming state of food insecurity in the state.

Epic war against caste system is constitutional responsibility of elected government

Edited by well-known Gujarat Dalit rights leader Martin Macwan, the book, “Bhed-Bharat: An Account of Injustice and Atrocities on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-18)” (available in English and Gujarati*) is a selection of news articles on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-2018) published by Dalit Shakti Prakashan, Ahmedabad. Preface to the book, in which Macwan seeks to answer key questions on why the book is needed today: *** The thought of compiling a book on atrocities on Dalits and thus present an overall Indian picture had occurred to me a long time ago. Absence of such a comprehensive picture is a major reason for a weak social and political consciousness among Dalits as well as non-Dalits. But gradually the idea took a different form. I found that lay readers don’t understand numbers and don’t like to read well-researched articles. The best way to reach out to them was storytelling. As I started writing in Gujarati and sharing the idea of the book with my friends, it occurred to me that while...

What's behind Donald Trump's 'narco-state' accusation against Venezuela

By Manolo De Los Santos  The US government has revived its campaign to label Venezuela a "narco-state", accusing its top leadership of drug trafficking and slapping hefty bounties on their heads for capture. This campaign, which only momentarily took a backseat, is a strategic fabrication, not a factual assessment. This accusation, particularly amplified under the Trump Administration, is a calculated smokescreen to justify a long-standing agenda: the overthrow of the Venezuelan government and the seizure of its vast oil and mineral resources. A closer examination of the facts reveals a country that has actively fought drug trafficking on its own terms and a US government with a clear and consistent history of destabilizing independent countries in Latin America.

New RTI draft rules inspired by citizen-unfriendly, overtly bureaucratic approach

By Venkatesh Nayak* The Department of Personnel and Training , Government of India has invited comments on a new set of Draft Rules (available in English only) to implement The Right to Information Act, 2005 . The RTI Rules were last amended in 2012 after a long period of consultation with various stakeholders. The Government’s move to put the draft RTI Rules out for people’s comments and suggestions for change is a welcome continuation of the tradition of public consultation. Positive aspects of the Draft RTI Rules While 60-65% of the Draft RTI Rules repeat the content of the 2012 RTI Rules, some new aspects deserve appreciation as they clarify the manner of implementation of key provisions of the RTI Act. These are: Provisions for dealing with non-compliance of the orders and directives of the Central Information Commission (CIC) by public authorities- this was missing in the 2012 RTI Rules. Non-compliance is increasingly becoming a major problem- two of my non-compliance cases are...

N-power plant at Mithi Virdi: CRZ nod is arbitrary, without jurisdiction

By Krishnakant* A case-appeal has been filed against the order of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and others granting CRZ clearance for establishment of intake and outfall facility for proposed 6000 MWe Nuclear Power Plant at Mithi Virdi, District Bhavnagar, Gujarat by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) vide order in F 11-23 /2014-IA- III dated March 3, 2015. The case-appeal in the National Green Tribunal at Western Bench at Pune is filed by Shaktisinh Gohil, Sarpanch of Jasapara; Hajabhai Dihora of Mithi Virdi; Jagrutiben Gohil of Jasapara; Krishnakant and Rohit Prajapati activist of the Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued a notice to the MoEF&CC, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Gujarat Coastal Zone Management Authority, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and case is kept for hearing on August 20, 2015. Appeal No. 23 of 2015 (WZ) is filed, a...

1857 War of Independence... when Hindu-Muslim separatism, hatred wasn't an issue

"The Sepoy Revolt at Meerut", Illustrated London News, 1857  By Shamsul Islam* Large sections of Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs unitedly challenged the greatest imperialist power, Britain, during India’s First War of Independence which began on May 10, 1857; the day being Sunday. This extraordinary unity, naturally, unnerved the firangees and made them realize that if their rule was to continue in India, it could happen only when Hindus and Muslims, the largest two religious communities were divided on communal lines.

Ground reality: Israel would a remain Jewish state, attempt to overthrow it will be futile

By NS Venkataraman*  Now that truce has been arrived at between Israel and Hamas for a period of four days and with release of a few hostages from both sides, there is hope that truce would be further extended and the intensity of war would become significantly less. This likely “truce period” gives an opportunity for the sworn supporters and bitter opponents of Hamas as well as Israel and the observers around the world to introspect on the happenings and whether this war could have been avoided. There is prolonged debate for the last several decades as to whom the present region that has been provided to Jews after the World War II belong. View of some people is that Jews have been occupants earlier and therefore, the region should belong to Jews only. However, Christians and those belonging to Islam have also lived in this regions for long period. While Christians make no claim, the dispute is between Jews and those who claim themselves to be Palestinians. In any case...

Fate of Yamuna floodplain still hangs in "balance" despite National Green Tribunal rap on Sri Sri event

By Ashok Shrimali* While the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Thursday reportedly pulled up the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) for granting permission to hold spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's World Culture Festival on the banks of Yamuna, the chief petitioners against the high-profile event Yamuna Jiye Abhiyan has declared, the “fate of the floodplain still hangs in balance.”