Skip to main content

Activists Yogendra Yadav, Medha Patkar, Agnivesh barred from meeting Mandsaur "farmer-martyrs", court arrest

Yogendra Yadav
By A Representative
A senior social activists’ and concerned citizens’ team, which visited Madhya Pradesh for a condolence meeting of the brutal attack on farmers, was denied permission by the Madhya Pradesh government to meet the families of those who died in the recent Mandsaur violence.
The team, consisting of Yogendra Yadav, Swami Agnivesh, Dr Sunilam, Mohit Pandey, Medha Patkar, Ramnarayan Kureria and others, held a condolence meeting at Ratlam, and then proceeded to Mandsaur district, where it was stopped by a huge police contingent at Dodal, led by ASP Deepak Kumar Sharma and SDM R P Verma.
Refusing to hand over copy of the order for not allowing the team to enter Mandsaur, the authorities referred to Section 144, prohibiting more than four persons to gather at one place, as the reason behind the refusal to allow the team and its supporters to meet farmer-victims.
Women police were brought to stop everyone. Team members strongly protested calling the effort to stop the team to enter into Mandsaur as “undemocratic and unjustifiable”, adding Madhya Pradesh chief minister Shivraj Singh Chauhan had already announced that there was peace in Mandsaur and curfew had been withdrawn.
The team carried with it small pots filled with soil from various states and wanted to present these, along with Samman Patra, to the families of martyrs’ families. On being shown, the officials expressed helplessness, referring to the order of higher authorities. Deciding to return to reach out to the oppressed families later, the team courted arrest.
In a statement, the team said, “The chief minister instead of doing undertaking fast and resting in Bhopal, should have reached the houses of the farmers who were killed and wounded by the state police.”
It added, “Non-violent activists could not be a cause of creating any law and order problem while the state itself was responsible for breaching the law and unleashing violence against the farmers.”
Pointing out that repression is still on, the statement said, the intimidation tactics continue to “kill the movement”, by filing 57 cases, some under Section 307, even as arresting 13 persons. “At least 250 are wounded and some are declared as absconding”, the statement says, adding, “They have filed cases under various sections against them.”
Calling it a “challenge before the farmers’ movement for saving agriculture and agriculturists”, the statement says, “The state needs to change its attitude and clearly take a position of no violence but a dialogue to settle the issues that are national and critical.”
Demanding that the farmers be given “freedom from debt from all public lending institutions and illegal private money lenders”, the team sought “optimum minimum support price based on the Swaminathan report recommendations (price to be 1.5 times the cost inputs), pension to all farmers and farm labourers, and priority in the distribution and redistribution of water and power.”
The team also demanded constitution of farmers’ income commission at the national level and impartial investigation committee under the chairmanship of the High Court judge to inquire into the killings repression and victimization of farmers.

Comments

TRENDING

Gujarat Sachivalaya blacklists, denies entry to woman social activist: Will NHRC probe?

By Kantilal Parmar*  I have approached the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) seeking an independent, impartial, and transparent investigation into a serious incident that took place at the Gujarat Secretariat in Gandhinagar on August 18, 2026. The matter concerns social activist and women’s rights leader Chandrikaben Solanki, who, according to the information available to me, was denied an entry pass to the Secretariat when she went there to meet Gujarat’s Social Justice and Empowerment Minister, Dr. Manishaben Vakil, to raise an issue concerning social justice.

Ample evidence of child labour in South Gujarat's cash rich sugarcane belt: Study

By Rajiv Shah A recent German government-funded study , undertaken jointly by the NGO Prayas Centre for Labour Research and Action and the Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung, which mainly deals examines the working conditions of migrant workers in the cash-rich sugarcane zone of South Gujarat, has gone a long way to suggest large scale prevalence of child labour during the harvesting season.

Right to walk, right to livelihood: Clearing footpaths 'can't mean' clearing out the urban poor

By Aseem Mishra*    India’s cities are locked in a quiet but intensifying struggle over one of their most contested public spaces: the footpath. For pedestrians, a footpath is basic infrastructure—a strip of ground that should allow people to move safely, independently and with dignity. For millions of informal workers, the same stretch of pavement is a workplace, a source of daily income and often the difference between survival and destitution.