Skip to main content

Wary of being accused of treading differently, Gujarat CM meticulously follows Modi's ways and schedule

Gujarat CM at public reception: Oct 24
By A Representative
Gujarat chief minister Anandiben Patel is learnt to have instructed her office not to entertain any requests for special favour from her family members, including her son, daughter and son-in-law. The instructions are learnt to have come following wild -- some would say unsubstantiated -- accusations by a young activist, Roshan Shah, seeking to find out whether the non-government organisation (NGO) run by her son-in-law Jayesh Patel and daughter Anar Patel, Manav Sadhna Trust, played any role in “selling off” some land assets once owned by the Gandhi Ashram in Ahmedabad.
Patel has told senior officials in the chief minister's office (CMO) that, even if well-intended, the recommendations from her family members are being seen "suspiciously”, a senior bureaucrat said, adding, “The instructions suggest the chief minister is extremely wary to take a path that may be interpreted as different from the one taken by her predecessor, Narendra Modi, between 2001 and 2014. Throughout, Modi asked his ministers and bureaucrats to avoid any requests from his family members, especially brothers, who are in public life.”
The bureaucrat said he learnt about this following his interaction with a senior business executive who met one of the members of Patel's family for some work relating a clearing a land for purchase. “This family member told the executive pointblank that things had changed following Patel becoming Gujarat chief minister. It is no more possible to pursue the work with officials through family members, as previously was the case. The word has spread: Family members of Patel simply refuse to entertain any requests”, he added.
Notably, facts suggest that the Gujarat CM follows footsteps of Modi meticulously in almost everything, even if putting up a bold face by telling all around that a comparison between her and Modi is “ill-advised” and is actually harming her “reputation.” More recently, she followed Modi in scheduling her routine engagements on the Gujarati New Year day on October 24, which followed Diwali. “She just copied the timetable of her predecessor – Narendra Modi – and followed the schedule from the beginning to the end”, a source close to her said.
On the Gujarati New Year day, when he was chief minister, Modi would first visit a temple in the centre of the state capital, Gandhinagar, Panchdev Mahadev. Thereafter, he would go to the Raj Bhawan to greet the governor. Then, he would receive greetings from the visitors, who mainly consisted of ministers, babus and business tycoons, at the Community Hall, situated in the ministerial complex of the state capital. After formalities in Gandhinagar, he would move to Ahmedabad, and first visit Bhadrakali temple, and then move to the Circuit House annexe in Shahibaug, to receive more greetings.
Gujarat’s new chief minister “followed exactly the same schedule”, said sources close to her, witout “violating it at any point of time”. Insiders said, she was doing it “quite consciously”, in order to avoid the accusation of being seen as treading a different path than that of Modi. Thus, she preferred not to visit any other temple but Panchdev Mahadev in Sector 22 of Gandhinagar, following which she went to greet Gujarat governor OP Kohli. Then she went to the Community Hall in the state capital to be greeted by ministers, babus and tycoons, like Modi. Then, she was off to Bhadrakali temple in Ahmedabad and the Circuit House annexe in Shahibaug.
But, clearly, Anandiben Patel’s public receptions on the Gujarati New Year were found to lack the huge rush that Modi would witness. In fact, she was forced to wind up each of her public receptions in less than an hour’s time. “There were far fewer business tycoons at her reception than ones seen at Modi’s functions. Even some bureaucrats avoided meeting her, as they knew their presence under is not ‘noted’, as was done under Modi”, a source said. A Modi biographer told Counterview that all this has made people to consider her as “no more than a dummy chief minister.”
Even security arrangements for Anandiben Patel were considerably relaxed compared to that of Modi. At the Bhadrakali temple, for instance, unlike Modi, she directly met visitors, and even shook hands with some of them. Modi, clearly, never did that, as he was highly security conscious. All this has led ministers in the Modi Cabinet start believing that, unlike Modi, Anandiben Patel is no more invincible. Already, there are ministers who have begun to aspire to be Gujarat chief minister if she, at any particular moment of time, is forced to leave office. 

Comments

TRENDING

A comrade in culture and controversy: Yao Wenyuan’s revolutionary legacy

By Harsh Thakor*  This year marks two important anniversaries in Chinese revolutionary history—the 20th death anniversary of Yao Wenyuan, and the 50th anniversary of his seminal essay "On the Social Basis of the Lin Biao Anti-Party Clique". These milestones invite reflection on the man whose pen ignited the first sparks of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution and whose sharp ideological interventions left an indelible imprint on the political and cultural landscape of socialist China.

Two more "aadhaar-linked" Jharkhand deaths: 17 die of starvation since Sept 2017

Kaleshwar's sons Santosh and Mantosh Counterview Desk A fact-finding team of the Right to Feed Campaign, pointing towards the death of two more persons due to starvation in Jharkhand, has said that this has happened because of the absence of aadhaar, leading to “persistent lack of food at home and unavailability of any means of earning.” It has disputed the state government claims that these deaths are due to reasons other than starvation, adding, the authorities have “done nothing” to reduce the alarming state of food insecurity in the state.

Epic war against caste system is constitutional responsibility of elected government

Edited by well-known Gujarat Dalit rights leader Martin Macwan, the book, “Bhed-Bharat: An Account of Injustice and Atrocities on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-18)” (available in English and Gujarati*) is a selection of news articles on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-2018) published by Dalit Shakti Prakashan, Ahmedabad. Preface to the book, in which Macwan seeks to answer key questions on why the book is needed today: *** The thought of compiling a book on atrocities on Dalits and thus present an overall Indian picture had occurred to me a long time ago. Absence of such a comprehensive picture is a major reason for a weak social and political consciousness among Dalits as well as non-Dalits. But gradually the idea took a different form. I found that lay readers don’t understand numbers and don’t like to read well-researched articles. The best way to reach out to them was storytelling. As I started writing in Gujarati and sharing the idea of the book with my friends, it occurred to me that while...

New RTI draft rules inspired by citizen-unfriendly, overtly bureaucratic approach

By Venkatesh Nayak* The Department of Personnel and Training , Government of India has invited comments on a new set of Draft Rules (available in English only) to implement The Right to Information Act, 2005 . The RTI Rules were last amended in 2012 after a long period of consultation with various stakeholders. The Government’s move to put the draft RTI Rules out for people’s comments and suggestions for change is a welcome continuation of the tradition of public consultation. Positive aspects of the Draft RTI Rules While 60-65% of the Draft RTI Rules repeat the content of the 2012 RTI Rules, some new aspects deserve appreciation as they clarify the manner of implementation of key provisions of the RTI Act. These are: Provisions for dealing with non-compliance of the orders and directives of the Central Information Commission (CIC) by public authorities- this was missing in the 2012 RTI Rules. Non-compliance is increasingly becoming a major problem- two of my non-compliance cases are...

What's behind Donald Trump's 'narco-state' accusation against Venezuela

By Manolo De Los Santos  The US government has revived its campaign to label Venezuela a "narco-state", accusing its top leadership of drug trafficking and slapping hefty bounties on their heads for capture. This campaign, which only momentarily took a backseat, is a strategic fabrication, not a factual assessment. This accusation, particularly amplified under the Trump Administration, is a calculated smokescreen to justify a long-standing agenda: the overthrow of the Venezuelan government and the seizure of its vast oil and mineral resources. A closer examination of the facts reveals a country that has actively fought drug trafficking on its own terms and a US government with a clear and consistent history of destabilizing independent countries in Latin America.

N-power plant at Mithi Virdi: CRZ nod is arbitrary, without jurisdiction

By Krishnakant* A case-appeal has been filed against the order of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and others granting CRZ clearance for establishment of intake and outfall facility for proposed 6000 MWe Nuclear Power Plant at Mithi Virdi, District Bhavnagar, Gujarat by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) vide order in F 11-23 /2014-IA- III dated March 3, 2015. The case-appeal in the National Green Tribunal at Western Bench at Pune is filed by Shaktisinh Gohil, Sarpanch of Jasapara; Hajabhai Dihora of Mithi Virdi; Jagrutiben Gohil of Jasapara; Krishnakant and Rohit Prajapati activist of the Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued a notice to the MoEF&CC, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Gujarat Coastal Zone Management Authority, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and case is kept for hearing on August 20, 2015. Appeal No. 23 of 2015 (WZ) is filed, a...

1857 War of Independence... when Hindu-Muslim separatism, hatred wasn't an issue

"The Sepoy Revolt at Meerut", Illustrated London News, 1857  By Shamsul Islam* Large sections of Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs unitedly challenged the greatest imperialist power, Britain, during India’s First War of Independence which began on May 10, 1857; the day being Sunday. This extraordinary unity, naturally, unnerved the firangees and made them realize that if their rule was to continue in India, it could happen only when Hindus and Muslims, the largest two religious communities were divided on communal lines.

Ground reality: Israel would a remain Jewish state, attempt to overthrow it will be futile

By NS Venkataraman*  Now that truce has been arrived at between Israel and Hamas for a period of four days and with release of a few hostages from both sides, there is hope that truce would be further extended and the intensity of war would become significantly less. This likely “truce period” gives an opportunity for the sworn supporters and bitter opponents of Hamas as well as Israel and the observers around the world to introspect on the happenings and whether this war could have been avoided. There is prolonged debate for the last several decades as to whom the present region that has been provided to Jews after the World War II belong. View of some people is that Jews have been occupants earlier and therefore, the region should belong to Jews only. However, Christians and those belonging to Islam have also lived in this regions for long period. While Christians make no claim, the dispute is between Jews and those who claim themselves to be Palestinians. In any case...

Fate of Yamuna floodplain still hangs in "balance" despite National Green Tribunal rap on Sri Sri event

By Ashok Shrimali* While the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Thursday reportedly pulled up the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) for granting permission to hold spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's World Culture Festival on the banks of Yamuna, the chief petitioners against the high-profile event Yamuna Jiye Abhiyan has declared, the “fate of the floodplain still hangs in balance.”