Skip to main content

Tata Mundra power plant in Kutch, Gujarat, "fails" to get environmental clearance for the next phase

By A Representative
In what is being seen by environmentalists and activists as an important success, the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF), Government of India, has refused to give environmental clearance to the Tata Mundra Ultra Power Project (UMPP). Revealing this, Bharat Patel of the Machimaar Adhikaar Sangharsh Samiti (MASS), which is pitted against the UMPP at Mundra, has said in a statement that the MoEF decision has been reached "citing non-compliance of environmental conditions during the first phase." 
Hence, MASS' statement said, "The Expert Appraisal Committee (EAC) of the MoEF declined environmental clearance for the expansion plans for the UMPP." The MoEF decision is particularly surprising because Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been insisting on early environmental clearance to major projects which he considers of "national importance." Tatas are known to have gone close to Modi after they were provided with huge subsidies worth Rs 30,000 crore to shift their Nano car plant to Gujarat from West Bengal.
Referring to a meeting held on July 31-August 1, the minutes of which are available on the MoEF website, MASS quotes the EAC to say, “The environmental clearance (EC) of existing UMPP show that some of the conditions like mangrove plantation, green belt etc. are either non-complied or partly complied.” 
Hence, the EAC is said to have recommended “for a site-visit by a sub-committee for the issues regarding mangrove plantation, and for a detailed action plan for compliance to the conditions stipulated in the EC for the first phase, along with budgetary provisions for public hearing and such other engagements."
The Tatas' UMPP had planned to expand the existing 4,000 MW project by 1,660 MW and had sought environmental clearance. Earlier, the International Finance Corporation (IFC), a co-investor in the $4 billion in the project, denied that it was considering to finance Tatas' expansion plans.
The MASS claimed, "The latest report of the EAC reconfirms what MASS, the local organisation of fishworkers affected by the power projects in Mundra, had been raising the past few years. Last year, investigating on a complaint filed by the MASS, the Compliance Advisor Ombudsman (CAO), the recourse mechanism of IFC, had found a number of policy violations by the company. The World Bank President, who is required to take actions on the findings of CAO, has not taken any yet."
"Last month, at the annual general meeting of the UMPP, investors raised serious questions about social and environmental issues of the Tatas' Mundra project. The directors of the company had promised prompt action. However, no action has so far been reported", MASS said.

Comments

TRENDING

Planning failures? Mysuru’s traditional water networks decline as city expands

By Prajna Kumaraswamy, Mansee Bal Bhargava   The tropical land–water-scape of India shapes every settlement through lakes, ponds, wetlands, and rivers. Mysuru (Mysore) is a city profoundly shaped by both natural and humanly constructed water systems. For generations, it has carried a collective identity tied to the seasonal rhythms of the monsoon, the life-giving presence of the Cauvery and Kabini rivers , and the intricate network of lakes and ponds that dot the cityscape. Water transcends being merely a resource; it is part of collective memory, embedded in place names, agricultural heritage, and the very land beneath our feet. In an era of rapid urbanization and climate-induced land–water transformations, understanding this profound relationship with the land–water-scape is strategic for sustainability, resilience, and even survival.

Activists Akriti, Satyam Verma face NSA in Noida protest case: PUCL

By A Representative   Human rights activist Kavita Shrivastava has alleged that the Uttar Pradesh Police is invoking the National Security Act (NSA) against two activists associated with Mazdoor Bigul in connection with the Noida workers’ protest case, even as labour unrest continues to spread across industrial belts in several northern states.

Why was this BJP leader forced to call off marriage of his daughter with Muslim boy?

By Vidya Bhushan Rawat*  A marriage of two individuals belonging to different faiths was ultimately postponed as the 'champions' of the social morality dominated the discourse and threatened the father of the girl who happened to be the chairman of Pauri city municipality. Yashpal Benam, a BJP leader, posted the invitation of his daughter's wedding with a Muslim boy from Uttar Pradesh. Both the boy and the girl became friend during their B Tech course and were in relationship. There were reports that they already got married in the court but we don't know the reality. Perhaps the family of the girl wanted to send a message of 'acceptability' and 'appreciation' of such a marriage by the society. Invitations were sent to all but soon after it went wide spread on the social media, the champion of Hindu dharma jumped into the fray and started threatening the father. There were hundreds of calls asking the father hundreds of questions about the marriage. What...