Skip to main content

Billion vaccine doses? Devil is in details: 70% haven't got 2nd jab; numbers jacked up

By Prof Ujjwal K Chowdhury* 

India has reached the one billion Covid-19 vaccinations milestone. It is indeed a great news and a big salute to the less paid ordinary health-workers in interiors of India for this feat.
The government wants all of India's 944 million adults to get vaccinated this year. Around three-quarters of adults in the country of 1.3 billion people have had one shot and around 30 percent are fully vaccinated, the government says.
The five states that have administered the highest number of doses are Uttar Pradesh, followed by Maharashtra, West Bengal, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh.
India's milestone comes months after a huge spike in cases in April and May, when more than 400,000 infections and 4,000 deaths were reported per day and the country's health infrastructure was overwhelmed.
Cases have now sharply fallen, with fewer than 15,000 infections per day, and most activity has returned to normal. Mumbai, where cases peaked in the second surge, recently reported zero deaths in a day for the first time since the pandemic began.
Moving ahead it is important note to gloat in self-glory and look at some pertinent issues in this context, which a laudatory media shall not be raising today on behalf of the nation.
First, around 250 million adult Indians have not got even a single dose of the vaccine, and they are mostly the most marginalized sections of the population, urban or rural, and a lot many tribals.
Second, the 100 crore doses include both the doses. Government itself says that only 30% of the adult population has been fully vaccinated, and that leaves a whopping 700 million adult Indians unvaccinated.
Third, the children below 18 years, who number almost 400 million, are completely unvaccinated till date, and that has created a situation of education emergency in the country with no physical classes running in the entire country except some pockets as on October 20, 2021. Worse still, there is no declared strategy or policy for children’s vaccination on a war footing.
Fourth, the media celebration of 1 billion doses calling it as the fastest and among top two nations to have achieved the feat is ill placed. There are only two nations above 1 billion population, and China had already achieved 1 billion doses and now racing close to 2 billion doses, which they will achieve before December at the current rate.
Fifth, very importantly, we would have crossed this milestone much earlier if the process was started by the government in time in 2020 (and not in January 2021), if initially large chunks of vaccines were not exported to create global image and vaccine diplomacy and the focus was on the safety of our country-men first, if Covishield and Covaxin were given financial support or advance bulk orders as done in other vaccine producing nations, and if WHO approved foreign vaccines wanting to come to India in 2020 were allowed to import and sell.
Even the rules and responsibilities of vaccination were not clear and changed several times though under the Disaster Management Act, the Centre assumes full responsibilities during such crises.
Sixth, a large number of Indians, specially of urban areas, had to buy their vaccine doses, from as low as Rs 300 to as high as Rs 4,000 per dose in private hospitals. The polio vaccines were delivered free to the entire population decades back. India as a nation was much poorer then. But people spent for their jabs, and that crosses 20% of the adult population.
Seventh, the vaccination process started with two doses given with a gap of 28 days, which increased to 42 and now 84 days, and without scientific basis, glaringly exposing the ill-preparedness even till May 2021.
The second wave killed officially less than 100,000, but several estimates by the scientific community world-over show it to be more than a million. Now that the production has been ramped up, why cannot we get back to 28 to 35 days gap between jabs, so that more can be vaccinated and faster? The frontline workers with 28 days gap vaccination have not reported to have developed any widespread reaction.
Observers have raised questions as to how an infrastructure clocking 70 lakh doses a day could deliver 2.5 crore on a specific day
Eighth, September 22 reports in ndtv.com and a few other media outlets have reported and shown images of several vaccination certificates of people who actually did not receive the jab, as they were given on September 17, PM’s birthday, to set a record of 2.5 crore vaccines that day, while the daily average till then was around 70 lakh of jabs.
Observers have raised questions as to how an infrastructure clocking 70 lakh doses a day could deliver 2.5 crore on a specific day. In at least one case, of Vidya Sharma in MP (Aagar-Malwa district), the lady dead four months earlier, got her vaccination certificate on September 17! In June, several reports were there of 13-14 years old children receiving certificates too without any jab being delivered!
Ninth, the government of India has opened up vaccine exports once again, in October 2021, while still 70% of adults and 100% of children are yet to be fully vaccinated. There is no way that production can be ramped up to cover the entire population and ensure exports at the same time, as of now. This may be another challenge brewing ahead.
Tenth, and finally, though the new cases are much lesser now, the current ongoing festival season with huge gatherings will need to be prevented and the consequences observed till mid-November after Diwali is celebrated in the first week of November. We need to learn our lessons from the second surge of April-May, 2021, following Kumbh Mela and elections in five states.
Every pro-people success is important and needs to be rejoiced, but not at the cost of bitter facts alongside and the much needed caution not to plunge into another major crisis.
---
*Secretary, Global Media Education Council, and former Pro Vice Chancellor of Kolkata-based Adamas University

Comments

Archana Datta said…
Very valid questions have been raised. In reality, only 27% to 30%, received both the doses, which only matters. So why this brouhaha? Only publicity gimmick, to distract global attention. Besides, when many people like us paid for the jab, the PM's photo is a big irritant.

TRENDING

A comrade in culture and controversy: Yao Wenyuan’s revolutionary legacy

By Harsh Thakor*  This year marks two important anniversaries in Chinese revolutionary history—the 20th death anniversary of Yao Wenyuan, and the 50th anniversary of his seminal essay "On the Social Basis of the Lin Biao Anti-Party Clique". These milestones invite reflection on the man whose pen ignited the first sparks of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution and whose sharp ideological interventions left an indelible imprint on the political and cultural landscape of socialist China.

What's behind Donald Trump's 'narco-state' accusation against Venezuela

By Manolo De Los Santos  The US government has revived its campaign to label Venezuela a "narco-state", accusing its top leadership of drug trafficking and slapping hefty bounties on their heads for capture. This campaign, which only momentarily took a backseat, is a strategic fabrication, not a factual assessment. This accusation, particularly amplified under the Trump Administration, is a calculated smokescreen to justify a long-standing agenda: the overthrow of the Venezuelan government and the seizure of its vast oil and mineral resources. A closer examination of the facts reveals a country that has actively fought drug trafficking on its own terms and a US government with a clear and consistent history of destabilizing independent countries in Latin America.

Two more "aadhaar-linked" Jharkhand deaths: 17 die of starvation since Sept 2017

Kaleshwar's sons Santosh and Mantosh Counterview Desk A fact-finding team of the Right to Feed Campaign, pointing towards the death of two more persons due to starvation in Jharkhand, has said that this has happened because of the absence of aadhaar, leading to “persistent lack of food at home and unavailability of any means of earning.” It has disputed the state government claims that these deaths are due to reasons other than starvation, adding, the authorities have “done nothing” to reduce the alarming state of food insecurity in the state.

1857 War of Independence... when Hindu-Muslim separatism, hatred wasn't an issue

"The Sepoy Revolt at Meerut", Illustrated London News, 1857  By Shamsul Islam* Large sections of Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs unitedly challenged the greatest imperialist power, Britain, during India’s First War of Independence which began on May 10, 1857; the day being Sunday. This extraordinary unity, naturally, unnerved the firangees and made them realize that if their rule was to continue in India, it could happen only when Hindus and Muslims, the largest two religious communities were divided on communal lines.

New RTI draft rules inspired by citizen-unfriendly, overtly bureaucratic approach

By Venkatesh Nayak* The Department of Personnel and Training , Government of India has invited comments on a new set of Draft Rules (available in English only) to implement The Right to Information Act, 2005 . The RTI Rules were last amended in 2012 after a long period of consultation with various stakeholders. The Government’s move to put the draft RTI Rules out for people’s comments and suggestions for change is a welcome continuation of the tradition of public consultation. Positive aspects of the Draft RTI Rules While 60-65% of the Draft RTI Rules repeat the content of the 2012 RTI Rules, some new aspects deserve appreciation as they clarify the manner of implementation of key provisions of the RTI Act. These are: Provisions for dealing with non-compliance of the orders and directives of the Central Information Commission (CIC) by public authorities- this was missing in the 2012 RTI Rules. Non-compliance is increasingly becoming a major problem- two of my non-compliance cases are...

Epic war against caste system is constitutional responsibility of elected government

Edited by well-known Gujarat Dalit rights leader Martin Macwan, the book, “Bhed-Bharat: An Account of Injustice and Atrocities on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-18)” (available in English and Gujarati*) is a selection of news articles on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-2018) published by Dalit Shakti Prakashan, Ahmedabad. Preface to the book, in which Macwan seeks to answer key questions on why the book is needed today: *** The thought of compiling a book on atrocities on Dalits and thus present an overall Indian picture had occurred to me a long time ago. Absence of such a comprehensive picture is a major reason for a weak social and political consciousness among Dalits as well as non-Dalits. But gradually the idea took a different form. I found that lay readers don’t understand numbers and don’t like to read well-researched articles. The best way to reach out to them was storytelling. As I started writing in Gujarati and sharing the idea of the book with my friends, it occurred to me that while...

N-power plant at Mithi Virdi: CRZ nod is arbitrary, without jurisdiction

By Krishnakant* A case-appeal has been filed against the order of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and others granting CRZ clearance for establishment of intake and outfall facility for proposed 6000 MWe Nuclear Power Plant at Mithi Virdi, District Bhavnagar, Gujarat by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) vide order in F 11-23 /2014-IA- III dated March 3, 2015. The case-appeal in the National Green Tribunal at Western Bench at Pune is filed by Shaktisinh Gohil, Sarpanch of Jasapara; Hajabhai Dihora of Mithi Virdi; Jagrutiben Gohil of Jasapara; Krishnakant and Rohit Prajapati activist of the Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued a notice to the MoEF&CC, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Gujarat Coastal Zone Management Authority, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and case is kept for hearing on August 20, 2015. Appeal No. 23 of 2015 (WZ) is filed, a...

Ground reality: Israel would a remain Jewish state, attempt to overthrow it will be futile

By NS Venkataraman*  Now that truce has been arrived at between Israel and Hamas for a period of four days and with release of a few hostages from both sides, there is hope that truce would be further extended and the intensity of war would become significantly less. This likely “truce period” gives an opportunity for the sworn supporters and bitter opponents of Hamas as well as Israel and the observers around the world to introspect on the happenings and whether this war could have been avoided. There is prolonged debate for the last several decades as to whom the present region that has been provided to Jews after the World War II belong. View of some people is that Jews have been occupants earlier and therefore, the region should belong to Jews only. However, Christians and those belonging to Islam have also lived in this regions for long period. While Christians make no claim, the dispute is between Jews and those who claim themselves to be Palestinians. In any case...

Fate of Yamuna floodplain still hangs in "balance" despite National Green Tribunal rap on Sri Sri event

By Ashok Shrimali* While the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Thursday reportedly pulled up the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) for granting permission to hold spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's World Culture Festival on the banks of Yamuna, the chief petitioners against the high-profile event Yamuna Jiye Abhiyan has declared, the “fate of the floodplain still hangs in balance.”