Skip to main content

Modi's Ujjwala scheme "fails": 96% women find LPG unaffordable, revert to firewood

Ujjwala project being launched in Gujarat
By Paulomee Mistry*, Prof Hemant Kumar Shah**
The Prime Minister Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) is apparently deceiving poor tribal women, as domestic cooking gas cylinders are not affordable to them. Worse, Below Poverty Line (BPL) families get converted to Above Poverty Line (APL) families on getting gas connection, and their access to kerosene is stopped, forcing them revert to firewood.
PMUY was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on May 1, 2016 in Ballia, Uttar Pradesh. Under this scheme, 5 crore LPG connections were to be provided to BPL families with the support of Rs 1,600 per connection in three years. Ensuring women’s empowerment, especially in rural India, the connections were to be issued in the name of women of the households. Rs 8,000 crore was allocated for the implementation of the scheme. Identification of the BPL families was to be done through the Socio-Economic Caste Census Data.
Disha, a Gujarat-based NGO, conducted a study on the implementation of Ujjwala, surveying of 1,080 BPL families of 15 blocks in four tribal districts (Aravalli, Sabarkantha, Dahod and Panchmahal) of Gujarat in November-December 2018. The survey found that out of 1,080 families that were surveyed, 616 families got LPG connection 2016, another 380 families got the connection in 2017, and 84 families in 2018.
The families which got cooking gas connections were using kerosene and wood as fuel earlier. A total of 247, or 22.87% of the households, said that they were using kerosene before they got gas connection, and 727, i.e. 67.3%, said they were using wood as fuel. The remaining 106 families said they used both kerosene and wood as fuel.
The objective of PMUY was to ensure that poor families who were using wood stopped using it, so that women’s health remains good, as LPG is more environmental friendly. Even though it is beneficial, the survey found that cooking gas was not affordable to the poor.
Thus, 305 (28.2%) households did not buy cylinder for the second time after adopting the scheme; 404 (37.4%) families took cylinder for the second time, but not thereafter, and 197 (18.2%) families took the cylinder for the third time, but stopped buying it after that. Only 16.2% households bought household gas cylinder more than thrice.
The use of cooking gas has led to a major change in these BPL families. The government has converted BPL families into APL. Out of 1,080 families, 953, i.e. 88%, have been turned into APL this way. The obvious consequence of this is that they have stopped getting benefits of other poverty alleviation schemes for BPL. The government is also claiming that poverty is declining in this way! Only 127 families said that there was no change in their BPL status.
Most families do know the benefits of the Ujjwala scheme. They believe that the use of domestic gas would save time, as they wouldn't have to go out for fire wood; they also conceded it is environment friendly, there is no smoke, cooking time declines, utensils remain cleaner etc. Only 29 families said that they did not see any benefit. Even though the poor families understand the benefit of using cooking gas, they are unable to continue using it because of it is not affordable and is too costly.
During the survey, 1,042 (96%) families said that after getting the gas connection it became unaffordable for them to buy cooking gas cylinder contuously due to the high cost of cooking gas cylinder. These poor families had been mostly using firewood earlier, which they get from the forest area for free. The families surveyed are BPL, and hence their income is quite low, so they feel, they cannot spend more money on cooking gas. Only if their incomes increase or domestic gas prices reduce would they be able to afford domestic gas.
Paulomee Mistry, Hemant Kumar Shah
As many as 1,033 (96%) families said that after getting cooking gas they have stopped receiving quota for kerosene from the Public Distribution System (PDS). The government assumes that if a family is given gas connection, it will always use gas. But actually this is not the case. Thus, a strange and pitiable situation has arisen from the non-availability of gas as well as kerosene to the poor families. These families have been forced to use firewood again.
Further, the odd thing is that, there is a market price for cooking gas, about Rs 700, which is to be first paid to the gas agency; only then subsidy amount of subsidy is credited to the beneficiary's bank account.
It was found in the survey that 308 families did not get subsidy at all. Those who got subsidy said they got it six to ten months later, insisting, there were irregularities in installments. Therefore, poor women said, they do not trust the scheme. Also, many women wondered as to why the government takes money from them, then returns it back as subsidy.
Domestic cooking gas companies include Hindustan Petroleum, Indane and Bharat Gas. However, 35 families did not know which company had given them the gas connection.
---
*Director, Disha; **Principal, HK Arts College, Ahmedabad

Comments

TRENDING

A comrade in culture and controversy: Yao Wenyuan’s revolutionary legacy

By Harsh Thakor*  This year marks two important anniversaries in Chinese revolutionary history—the 20th death anniversary of Yao Wenyuan, and the 50th anniversary of his seminal essay "On the Social Basis of the Lin Biao Anti-Party Clique". These milestones invite reflection on the man whose pen ignited the first sparks of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution and whose sharp ideological interventions left an indelible imprint on the political and cultural landscape of socialist China.

Two more "aadhaar-linked" Jharkhand deaths: 17 die of starvation since Sept 2017

Kaleshwar's sons Santosh and Mantosh Counterview Desk A fact-finding team of the Right to Feed Campaign, pointing towards the death of two more persons due to starvation in Jharkhand, has said that this has happened because of the absence of aadhaar, leading to “persistent lack of food at home and unavailability of any means of earning.” It has disputed the state government claims that these deaths are due to reasons other than starvation, adding, the authorities have “done nothing” to reduce the alarming state of food insecurity in the state.

Epic war against caste system is constitutional responsibility of elected government

Edited by well-known Gujarat Dalit rights leader Martin Macwan, the book, “Bhed-Bharat: An Account of Injustice and Atrocities on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-18)” (available in English and Gujarati*) is a selection of news articles on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-2018) published by Dalit Shakti Prakashan, Ahmedabad. Preface to the book, in which Macwan seeks to answer key questions on why the book is needed today: *** The thought of compiling a book on atrocities on Dalits and thus present an overall Indian picture had occurred to me a long time ago. Absence of such a comprehensive picture is a major reason for a weak social and political consciousness among Dalits as well as non-Dalits. But gradually the idea took a different form. I found that lay readers don’t understand numbers and don’t like to read well-researched articles. The best way to reach out to them was storytelling. As I started writing in Gujarati and sharing the idea of the book with my friends, it occurred to me that while...

What's behind Donald Trump's 'narco-state' accusation against Venezuela

By Manolo De Los Santos  The US government has revived its campaign to label Venezuela a "narco-state", accusing its top leadership of drug trafficking and slapping hefty bounties on their heads for capture. This campaign, which only momentarily took a backseat, is a strategic fabrication, not a factual assessment. This accusation, particularly amplified under the Trump Administration, is a calculated smokescreen to justify a long-standing agenda: the overthrow of the Venezuelan government and the seizure of its vast oil and mineral resources. A closer examination of the facts reveals a country that has actively fought drug trafficking on its own terms and a US government with a clear and consistent history of destabilizing independent countries in Latin America.

New RTI draft rules inspired by citizen-unfriendly, overtly bureaucratic approach

By Venkatesh Nayak* The Department of Personnel and Training , Government of India has invited comments on a new set of Draft Rules (available in English only) to implement The Right to Information Act, 2005 . The RTI Rules were last amended in 2012 after a long period of consultation with various stakeholders. The Government’s move to put the draft RTI Rules out for people’s comments and suggestions for change is a welcome continuation of the tradition of public consultation. Positive aspects of the Draft RTI Rules While 60-65% of the Draft RTI Rules repeat the content of the 2012 RTI Rules, some new aspects deserve appreciation as they clarify the manner of implementation of key provisions of the RTI Act. These are: Provisions for dealing with non-compliance of the orders and directives of the Central Information Commission (CIC) by public authorities- this was missing in the 2012 RTI Rules. Non-compliance is increasingly becoming a major problem- two of my non-compliance cases are...

N-power plant at Mithi Virdi: CRZ nod is arbitrary, without jurisdiction

By Krishnakant* A case-appeal has been filed against the order of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and others granting CRZ clearance for establishment of intake and outfall facility for proposed 6000 MWe Nuclear Power Plant at Mithi Virdi, District Bhavnagar, Gujarat by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) vide order in F 11-23 /2014-IA- III dated March 3, 2015. The case-appeal in the National Green Tribunal at Western Bench at Pune is filed by Shaktisinh Gohil, Sarpanch of Jasapara; Hajabhai Dihora of Mithi Virdi; Jagrutiben Gohil of Jasapara; Krishnakant and Rohit Prajapati activist of the Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued a notice to the MoEF&CC, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Gujarat Coastal Zone Management Authority, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and case is kept for hearing on August 20, 2015. Appeal No. 23 of 2015 (WZ) is filed, a...

1857 War of Independence... when Hindu-Muslim separatism, hatred wasn't an issue

"The Sepoy Revolt at Meerut", Illustrated London News, 1857  By Shamsul Islam* Large sections of Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs unitedly challenged the greatest imperialist power, Britain, during India’s First War of Independence which began on May 10, 1857; the day being Sunday. This extraordinary unity, naturally, unnerved the firangees and made them realize that if their rule was to continue in India, it could happen only when Hindus and Muslims, the largest two religious communities were divided on communal lines.

Ground reality: Israel would a remain Jewish state, attempt to overthrow it will be futile

By NS Venkataraman*  Now that truce has been arrived at between Israel and Hamas for a period of four days and with release of a few hostages from both sides, there is hope that truce would be further extended and the intensity of war would become significantly less. This likely “truce period” gives an opportunity for the sworn supporters and bitter opponents of Hamas as well as Israel and the observers around the world to introspect on the happenings and whether this war could have been avoided. There is prolonged debate for the last several decades as to whom the present region that has been provided to Jews after the World War II belong. View of some people is that Jews have been occupants earlier and therefore, the region should belong to Jews only. However, Christians and those belonging to Islam have also lived in this regions for long period. While Christians make no claim, the dispute is between Jews and those who claim themselves to be Palestinians. In any case...

Fate of Yamuna floodplain still hangs in "balance" despite National Green Tribunal rap on Sri Sri event

By Ashok Shrimali* While the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Thursday reportedly pulled up the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) for granting permission to hold spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's World Culture Festival on the banks of Yamuna, the chief petitioners against the high-profile event Yamuna Jiye Abhiyan has declared, the “fate of the floodplain still hangs in balance.”