Skip to main content

Gujarat epicentre of targeted violence against minorities, says compilation of 55 'attacks'

By A Representative 

Last year as many as 55 “attacks” on minority communities in Gujarat took place, a compilation of each of these incidents by a state civil rights group has said. Compiled by the Minority Coordination Committee (MCC), a report enumerating these incidents was released in Ahmedabad at a meeting of around 70 minority community leaders from different districts of Gujarat.
Before releasing the compilation, district leaders spoke about recent atrocities committed against the minority people in their respective districts, agreeing on the need for a coordinated effort to stop the atrocities against the minority community in future and what should be done to protect minority rights “as per the Constitution of the country.”
Claiming that the minority community has been “pushed on the margins” of the mainstream society, MCC in its introduction to the report, titled "Targeted: Documenting Incidents Affecting Minorities in Gujarat", which carries the compilation, said, main aim of the organisation is to “promote and protect the rights of minority communities and advance social justice, equity, and inclusion for all”, even as envisioning a society where diversity is celebrated and differences are respected, where individuals can live their lives without fear of discrimination, harassment, or prejudice.”
As for the compilation, the report claimed, they show that “Gujarat has been the epicentre of targeted violence against minorities”, pointing out, “The nature of violence has now changed.” Thus, while “earlier the violence was prominently in big cities”, now violence has “reached the villages.”
It underlined, “In particular, religious festivals, which are occasions of social harmony, were also used by communal organizations as opportunities for violence against minorities”, adding, “Through this report, we are bringing out different incidents of 2022 in the hope that we understand the destructive designs and work better together for communal harmony and peace.”
Mujahid Nafees, convener, MCC, said, the incidents of violence against minority community people were taken from local newspapers, mainly “Gujarat Today”, run by a minority community leader of Ahmedabad. “We have compiled newspaper cuttings as proof of violence”, he said, adding, “It is most disconcerting that over the three few, religious festivals, which have been symbols of communal unity, are also being used to divide society.”
The date-wise compilation starts with an incident on January 1, 2022, in which a Muslim auto driver was stopped at the gate of a society by a security guard in Ahmedabad. After knowing that the auto driver was a Muslim, he was abused, and dogs were let loose on him. He was threatened not to lodge complaints with the police, lest he would not be spared.
The last incident in the compilation is of December 30, 2023, when, in Junagadh, BJP leader Raman Vora openly stated that those Muslims who will not vote for BJP, their water and electricity connections would be cut and demolition will be done in their areas.
The incidents compiled are not just confined to the Muslim community. Thus, in one incident, there was violent attack allegedly by Hindu fringe elements, in which the house of a Christian community person in Makarpura extension of Vadodara was vandalised and a person dressed as Santa Claus was killed.
Also included in the compilation how, following violence in Borsad village of Anand district due to an attack on two Muslim boys with knives at midnight “in an attempt to kill them”, the police fired 30 rounds of rubber bullets and 50 shells of tear gas, and “took unilateral action only against Muslims.”
Then, the compilation shows how, during Ram Navami procession at various places in Gujarat, one person died in Khambhat district of Anand, following which police fired tear gas and shops and vehicles of Muslims were set on fire, and the huts of four Muslims were demolished with bulldozer. However, “the police took unilateral action against the Muslims”, and did not “even register an FIR on behalf of the Muslims.”
Giving details of the incidents which took place in 2023, which are now in the process of being compiled, Nafees advised participating leaders to be vigilant against attempts of certain sections to spread hatred against the community.
“We must videograph, wherever possible, hate speeches delivered against minorities. We must try to document each incident. We must be equipped with better understanding of the law and the Constitution in order seek justice from the law and order authorities, including courts, he insisted.

Comments

TRENDING

A comrade in culture and controversy: Yao Wenyuan’s revolutionary legacy

By Harsh Thakor*  This year marks two important anniversaries in Chinese revolutionary history—the 20th death anniversary of Yao Wenyuan, and the 50th anniversary of his seminal essay "On the Social Basis of the Lin Biao Anti-Party Clique". These milestones invite reflection on the man whose pen ignited the first sparks of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution and whose sharp ideological interventions left an indelible imprint on the political and cultural landscape of socialist China.

What's behind Donald Trump's 'narco-state' accusation against Venezuela

By Manolo De Los Santos  The US government has revived its campaign to label Venezuela a "narco-state", accusing its top leadership of drug trafficking and slapping hefty bounties on their heads for capture. This campaign, which only momentarily took a backseat, is a strategic fabrication, not a factual assessment. This accusation, particularly amplified under the Trump Administration, is a calculated smokescreen to justify a long-standing agenda: the overthrow of the Venezuelan government and the seizure of its vast oil and mineral resources. A closer examination of the facts reveals a country that has actively fought drug trafficking on its own terms and a US government with a clear and consistent history of destabilizing independent countries in Latin America.

Two more "aadhaar-linked" Jharkhand deaths: 17 die of starvation since Sept 2017

Kaleshwar's sons Santosh and Mantosh Counterview Desk A fact-finding team of the Right to Feed Campaign, pointing towards the death of two more persons due to starvation in Jharkhand, has said that this has happened because of the absence of aadhaar, leading to “persistent lack of food at home and unavailability of any means of earning.” It has disputed the state government claims that these deaths are due to reasons other than starvation, adding, the authorities have “done nothing” to reduce the alarming state of food insecurity in the state.

1857 War of Independence... when Hindu-Muslim separatism, hatred wasn't an issue

"The Sepoy Revolt at Meerut", Illustrated London News, 1857  By Shamsul Islam* Large sections of Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs unitedly challenged the greatest imperialist power, Britain, during India’s First War of Independence which began on May 10, 1857; the day being Sunday. This extraordinary unity, naturally, unnerved the firangees and made them realize that if their rule was to continue in India, it could happen only when Hindus and Muslims, the largest two religious communities were divided on communal lines.

New RTI draft rules inspired by citizen-unfriendly, overtly bureaucratic approach

By Venkatesh Nayak* The Department of Personnel and Training , Government of India has invited comments on a new set of Draft Rules (available in English only) to implement The Right to Information Act, 2005 . The RTI Rules were last amended in 2012 after a long period of consultation with various stakeholders. The Government’s move to put the draft RTI Rules out for people’s comments and suggestions for change is a welcome continuation of the tradition of public consultation. Positive aspects of the Draft RTI Rules While 60-65% of the Draft RTI Rules repeat the content of the 2012 RTI Rules, some new aspects deserve appreciation as they clarify the manner of implementation of key provisions of the RTI Act. These are: Provisions for dealing with non-compliance of the orders and directives of the Central Information Commission (CIC) by public authorities- this was missing in the 2012 RTI Rules. Non-compliance is increasingly becoming a major problem- two of my non-compliance cases are...

Epic war against caste system is constitutional responsibility of elected government

Edited by well-known Gujarat Dalit rights leader Martin Macwan, the book, “Bhed-Bharat: An Account of Injustice and Atrocities on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-18)” (available in English and Gujarati*) is a selection of news articles on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-2018) published by Dalit Shakti Prakashan, Ahmedabad. Preface to the book, in which Macwan seeks to answer key questions on why the book is needed today: *** The thought of compiling a book on atrocities on Dalits and thus present an overall Indian picture had occurred to me a long time ago. Absence of such a comprehensive picture is a major reason for a weak social and political consciousness among Dalits as well as non-Dalits. But gradually the idea took a different form. I found that lay readers don’t understand numbers and don’t like to read well-researched articles. The best way to reach out to them was storytelling. As I started writing in Gujarati and sharing the idea of the book with my friends, it occurred to me that while...

N-power plant at Mithi Virdi: CRZ nod is arbitrary, without jurisdiction

By Krishnakant* A case-appeal has been filed against the order of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and others granting CRZ clearance for establishment of intake and outfall facility for proposed 6000 MWe Nuclear Power Plant at Mithi Virdi, District Bhavnagar, Gujarat by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) vide order in F 11-23 /2014-IA- III dated March 3, 2015. The case-appeal in the National Green Tribunal at Western Bench at Pune is filed by Shaktisinh Gohil, Sarpanch of Jasapara; Hajabhai Dihora of Mithi Virdi; Jagrutiben Gohil of Jasapara; Krishnakant and Rohit Prajapati activist of the Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued a notice to the MoEF&CC, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Gujarat Coastal Zone Management Authority, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and case is kept for hearing on August 20, 2015. Appeal No. 23 of 2015 (WZ) is filed, a...

Ground reality: Israel would a remain Jewish state, attempt to overthrow it will be futile

By NS Venkataraman*  Now that truce has been arrived at between Israel and Hamas for a period of four days and with release of a few hostages from both sides, there is hope that truce would be further extended and the intensity of war would become significantly less. This likely “truce period” gives an opportunity for the sworn supporters and bitter opponents of Hamas as well as Israel and the observers around the world to introspect on the happenings and whether this war could have been avoided. There is prolonged debate for the last several decades as to whom the present region that has been provided to Jews after the World War II belong. View of some people is that Jews have been occupants earlier and therefore, the region should belong to Jews only. However, Christians and those belonging to Islam have also lived in this regions for long period. While Christians make no claim, the dispute is between Jews and those who claim themselves to be Palestinians. In any case...

Fate of Yamuna floodplain still hangs in "balance" despite National Green Tribunal rap on Sri Sri event

By Ashok Shrimali* While the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Thursday reportedly pulled up the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) for granting permission to hold spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's World Culture Festival on the banks of Yamuna, the chief petitioners against the high-profile event Yamuna Jiye Abhiyan has declared, the “fate of the floodplain still hangs in balance.”