Skip to main content

Fake encounter? Bastar killings suggest failure of Maoists to adapt to ground realities

By Harsh Thakor* 

The recent elimination of 29 Maoists in what is claimed to be the largest encounter in Bastar, Chhattisgarh, appears as a perfect illustration how the Maoists have failed to insulate and organise themselves. It is also being interpreted even by their supporters as suggesting that they have not adequately adapted to the ground realities, especially when State agents are said to have infiltrated into their ranks.
Clearly, despite seeking to make it appear that their organisation, the banned Communist Party of India (Maoist), will not be cowed down and they will fight back, the view has gone strong that they now face the uphill task in replenishing their ranks and make a critical review.
The International Communist League, of which the CPI (Maoist) is a member, tried to put up a bold face, stating, “The fighters of the People’s Liberation Guerrilla Army (PLGA) waging People’s War under the leadership of the CPI (Maoist) and the oppressed and poor masses of the region will defeat this wave of fascist terror at any cost.”
Maoists’ protagonists called the “brutal attack” a manifest the neo-fascist arm of the state which leaves no stone unturned in “mercilessly crushing any genuine resistance.” It is pointed out, in the name of curbing ‘Maoism’ by wiping out Maoists, the police are “destroying” the fabric or “intimidating” democratic resistance in Bastar against the corporates.
Officials said, the Maoists were killed in a gruesome battle with security forces along the Kanker-Narayanpur district border in Chhattisgarh’s Bastar Region on April 16. Three senior cadres of the Communist Party of India (Maoist) were among the victims. Three security personnel also procured injuries in the gun battle. With these deaths, up to 72 Maoists have by now been killed in the past four months.
However, a spokesperson of the CPI (Maoist) has been quoted as saying that 17 of those who were killed did not die in an armed clash, and that these guerrillas were captured unarmed, were tortured and then assassinated. A protest bandh has been called for Mohla-Manpur, Kanker and Narayanpur for the 25th of April, a day before the elections in the Kanker district, he added.
The operation, launched by a joint team of the Kanker District Reserve Guard (DRG) and the Border Security Force (BSF) against the Maoists, took place in a forested area which lies within the range of rthe Chhottebetiya police station area of Kanker. The security forces were sent to the very spot after a tip-off was received about the presence of senior divisional committee members of the CPI (Maoist).
A BSF statement said, the anti-Maoist operation was launched late in the evening of April 15 by the DRG and BSF, on information from various intelligence sources of Maoists’ movement in Binagunda and adjoining areas.
In the name of curbing Maoism, the police are destroying Maoists' fabric and resistance in Bastar against corporates
“We shared five inputs, including two inputs giving exact location (one input with GR also) of the North Bastar divisional committee Maoists in the Binagunda area, underlining the fact that it has acted as a permanent camp of the Maoists since April,” the statement added.
“During the searching operation, there was an encounter between the security forces and the Maoist cadres. During the searches so far, 29 dead bodies of Maoist cadres have been recovered,” Inspector General of Police (Bastar Range) P Sundarraj commented , adding that searches were still ongoing.
Sundarraj said that the operation had been launched after receiving information about the presence of North Bastar and Abujhmad Committee division committee members such as Shankar, Lalita, Raju and others, but noted that the police would be able to confirm names and profiles only after the identification of the bodies.
Based on the number of casualties extinguished, this is possibly the “biggest encounter ever” in Chhattisgarh, he claimed.
Additional Director General (Naxal operations), Vivekanand Sinha told media, “We have almost wiped out the Partapur area committee which was involved in many violent activities like killing security personnel in IED blasts, murdering civilians and arson where they burnt vehicles involved in road construction. They were also involved in the IED blast incident during the Assembly elections in November when a BSF jawan was martyred and two officials on election duty were injured.”
---
*Freelance journalist

Comments

TRENDING

A comrade in culture and controversy: Yao Wenyuan’s revolutionary legacy

By Harsh Thakor*  This year marks two important anniversaries in Chinese revolutionary history—the 20th death anniversary of Yao Wenyuan, and the 50th anniversary of his seminal essay "On the Social Basis of the Lin Biao Anti-Party Clique". These milestones invite reflection on the man whose pen ignited the first sparks of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution and whose sharp ideological interventions left an indelible imprint on the political and cultural landscape of socialist China.

Two more "aadhaar-linked" Jharkhand deaths: 17 die of starvation since Sept 2017

Kaleshwar's sons Santosh and Mantosh Counterview Desk A fact-finding team of the Right to Feed Campaign, pointing towards the death of two more persons due to starvation in Jharkhand, has said that this has happened because of the absence of aadhaar, leading to “persistent lack of food at home and unavailability of any means of earning.” It has disputed the state government claims that these deaths are due to reasons other than starvation, adding, the authorities have “done nothing” to reduce the alarming state of food insecurity in the state.

What's behind Donald Trump's 'narco-state' accusation against Venezuela

By Manolo De Los Santos  The US government has revived its campaign to label Venezuela a "narco-state", accusing its top leadership of drug trafficking and slapping hefty bounties on their heads for capture. This campaign, which only momentarily took a backseat, is a strategic fabrication, not a factual assessment. This accusation, particularly amplified under the Trump Administration, is a calculated smokescreen to justify a long-standing agenda: the overthrow of the Venezuelan government and the seizure of its vast oil and mineral resources. A closer examination of the facts reveals a country that has actively fought drug trafficking on its own terms and a US government with a clear and consistent history of destabilizing independent countries in Latin America.

Epic war against caste system is constitutional responsibility of elected government

Edited by well-known Gujarat Dalit rights leader Martin Macwan, the book, “Bhed-Bharat: An Account of Injustice and Atrocities on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-18)” (available in English and Gujarati*) is a selection of news articles on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-2018) published by Dalit Shakti Prakashan, Ahmedabad. Preface to the book, in which Macwan seeks to answer key questions on why the book is needed today: *** The thought of compiling a book on atrocities on Dalits and thus present an overall Indian picture had occurred to me a long time ago. Absence of such a comprehensive picture is a major reason for a weak social and political consciousness among Dalits as well as non-Dalits. But gradually the idea took a different form. I found that lay readers don’t understand numbers and don’t like to read well-researched articles. The best way to reach out to them was storytelling. As I started writing in Gujarati and sharing the idea of the book with my friends, it occurred to me that while...

New RTI draft rules inspired by citizen-unfriendly, overtly bureaucratic approach

By Venkatesh Nayak* The Department of Personnel and Training , Government of India has invited comments on a new set of Draft Rules (available in English only) to implement The Right to Information Act, 2005 . The RTI Rules were last amended in 2012 after a long period of consultation with various stakeholders. The Government’s move to put the draft RTI Rules out for people’s comments and suggestions for change is a welcome continuation of the tradition of public consultation. Positive aspects of the Draft RTI Rules While 60-65% of the Draft RTI Rules repeat the content of the 2012 RTI Rules, some new aspects deserve appreciation as they clarify the manner of implementation of key provisions of the RTI Act. These are: Provisions for dealing with non-compliance of the orders and directives of the Central Information Commission (CIC) by public authorities- this was missing in the 2012 RTI Rules. Non-compliance is increasingly becoming a major problem- two of my non-compliance cases are...

N-power plant at Mithi Virdi: CRZ nod is arbitrary, without jurisdiction

By Krishnakant* A case-appeal has been filed against the order of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and others granting CRZ clearance for establishment of intake and outfall facility for proposed 6000 MWe Nuclear Power Plant at Mithi Virdi, District Bhavnagar, Gujarat by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) vide order in F 11-23 /2014-IA- III dated March 3, 2015. The case-appeal in the National Green Tribunal at Western Bench at Pune is filed by Shaktisinh Gohil, Sarpanch of Jasapara; Hajabhai Dihora of Mithi Virdi; Jagrutiben Gohil of Jasapara; Krishnakant and Rohit Prajapati activist of the Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued a notice to the MoEF&CC, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Gujarat Coastal Zone Management Authority, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and case is kept for hearing on August 20, 2015. Appeal No. 23 of 2015 (WZ) is filed, a...

1857 War of Independence... when Hindu-Muslim separatism, hatred wasn't an issue

"The Sepoy Revolt at Meerut", Illustrated London News, 1857  By Shamsul Islam* Large sections of Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs unitedly challenged the greatest imperialist power, Britain, during India’s First War of Independence which began on May 10, 1857; the day being Sunday. This extraordinary unity, naturally, unnerved the firangees and made them realize that if their rule was to continue in India, it could happen only when Hindus and Muslims, the largest two religious communities were divided on communal lines.

Ground reality: Israel would a remain Jewish state, attempt to overthrow it will be futile

By NS Venkataraman*  Now that truce has been arrived at between Israel and Hamas for a period of four days and with release of a few hostages from both sides, there is hope that truce would be further extended and the intensity of war would become significantly less. This likely “truce period” gives an opportunity for the sworn supporters and bitter opponents of Hamas as well as Israel and the observers around the world to introspect on the happenings and whether this war could have been avoided. There is prolonged debate for the last several decades as to whom the present region that has been provided to Jews after the World War II belong. View of some people is that Jews have been occupants earlier and therefore, the region should belong to Jews only. However, Christians and those belonging to Islam have also lived in this regions for long period. While Christians make no claim, the dispute is between Jews and those who claim themselves to be Palestinians. In any case...

Fate of Yamuna floodplain still hangs in "balance" despite National Green Tribunal rap on Sri Sri event

By Ashok Shrimali* While the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Thursday reportedly pulled up the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) for granting permission to hold spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's World Culture Festival on the banks of Yamuna, the chief petitioners against the high-profile event Yamuna Jiye Abhiyan has declared, the “fate of the floodplain still hangs in balance.”