Skip to main content

As human tragedy continues to unfold, Israel’s arms industry profits spike

By Asad Mirza* 

The past one year has shown once again that the global community is least bothered by the human dimension, i.e. the loss of human lives of any military conflict. Further the greed to earn huge profits by arms industry is also overlooked, as it supports the economy of many of these countries.
October 7, 2024 marked one year of the Israeli aggression against the Palestinians in Gaza and West Bank. Meanwhile, during the last one year, many other nations like the regional power Iran and Israel also got entangled into a conflict, due to Israel’s operations to eliminate the entire top leadership of the Hezbollah and Hamas, and to render these organisations completely dismembered.
To achieve its overt objectives, Israel with full impunity attacked targets in Lebanon, Syria, and even Yemen. Acting as if it has been given the target to eliminate the maximum population of these countries.
Iran’s actions against Israel were termed as response to the ‘Axis of Resistance’, but who gave the right to Israel to act in this savage manner? While, it claims to have taken these actions against Iran, Iran’s actions against Israel are termed as aggression. 
Further, the question of who is the aggressor, dominated the narrative last year completely ignoring and asking who is the intruder or usurper, hell bent on kicking the Palestinians from their own home land.
The reality is that Israel has morphed from an aggressor state to one of the world’s largest arms manufacturer and exporter. While this human tragedy was unfolding in the region, profits of Israel’s arms manufacturers were going through the roof.
This hidden aspect of the current war was explored by Turkey’s news outlet Anadolu Agency. As part of Anadolu's series marking one year of Israel's military campaign in Gaza, the agency spoke to Antony Loewenstein, author of the book, The Palestine Laboratory, on how Israel uses Palestine as a tool to boost its defence industry exports, by marking them as ‘field tested’. 
He said the war on Gaza, which has claimed more than 41,000 lives seems to be a testing ground for Israel’s new weaponry.
“Israel has been testing and using new weapons and technology in its wars. And already, it has been trying to sell those tools and technologies at various global arms fairs since October 7,” the Sydney-based author told Anadolu. He said Israeli exports reached a record $13.1 billion in 2023.
Here we should be aware of the fact that what Israel sells in the global armament market is described as ‘field tested’. Now in the post WW II and Cold War, with no access to human Guinea pigs available to the arms and armaments manufacturers, Israel has found them in West Bank. Where at its own sweet will it launches attacks on Palestinians in their homes and later sell the same weapons labelled as ‘field tested’. 
The irony is further compounded by the fact that most of these weapons are purchased by the neighbouring Arab states, most of whom profess to support the Palestinian cause, but in order to pursue their regional ambitions, they purchase arms from their supposedly arch-foe Israel.
As per a report of the think tanks Middle East Eye, Arab states that normalised ties with Israel under the Abraham Accords accounted for about 25 percent of Israel’s record $12.5bn in defence exports in 2022, signalling the deepening economic and defence links between the countries.
The 2022 price tag marked a 50 percent jump from the previous three years and a doubling in volume over the previous decade, according to Israel’s defence ministry. Drones accounted for 25 percent of the 2022 exports, while missiles, rockets or air defence systems amounted to 19 percent, Reuters reported.
Additionally, at another level, another pressing issue which must be handled by the international community, at the earliest is the human angle of the current conflict.
As per UN reports, the conflict so far has claimed at least 41,431 lives, another 95,818 injured, and 1.9 million displaced out of the estimated 2.2 million population.
A satellite imagery survey in July 2024 estimated that 63 percent of Gaza’s buildings had been damaged, including 215,137 housing units The UN Office of the Coordinator for Humanitarian Affairs reported in September that 46 percent of aid deliveries were impeded or denied outright to Palestinians in need.
As bombing and ground operations spread, 86 percent of Gaza was under mandatory evacuation orders by August, leaving al-Masawi, a sliver of sand already crowded with tents in the south, the only declared safe haven. The same month, the area was struck with a polio outbreak, twenty-five years after its eradication. 
Amid the worsening situation, with no cease-fire in sight, aid organisations revived earlier warnings of impending famine. The humanitarian organisation Refugees International warned in September of increasing famine risk due to continued disruptions in aid delivery, bombing, and dislocations.
Further, more than seven hundred Palestinians in the West Bank and East Jerusalem have been killed since the war broke out, according to the Palestinian Authority Health Ministry in Ramallah. Since October 7, 2023, according to the UNOCHA report on September 25, 2024, Israeli authorities demolished 1,725 structures and displaced 4,450 Palestinians - double the rate of displacement in the preceding nearly one-year period. 
Even before the September escalation of conflict across the Lebanon-Israel border, nearly 100,000 Lebanese had been displaced from their homes in the country’s south due to Israeli shelling. Meanwhile, approximately 63,000 Israelis were internally displaced from the country’s north due to Hezbollah’s rocket attacks.
But starting in late September 2024, Israeli strikes on Hezbollah and Palestinian targets in Beirut and across Lebanon killed hundreds of civilians and exponentially increased internal and cross-border displacement. More than One million Lebanese have now fled their homes in a matter of days amid Israel’s invasion and bombardment.
In addition, Syrian refugees and the large migrant worker population in Lebanon were also displaced, with many sleeping on the streets or in makeshift tents, unable to access buildings that were converted into shelters for Lebanese.
In a separate stark example of reverse migration, about 230,000 people – both Lebanese and Syrians – have fled across the border into Syria. Bringing the recent regional conflicts full circle with post-2011 Arab uprising displacement and crisis, returning home is an unsafe option for many Syrians who still fear repression under the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. 
Over several decades, the Middle East has experienced many large-scale, cross-border displacements for myriad reasons. The original forced displacement of Palestinians surrounding the creation of Israel in 1948 and subsequent conflicts created the world’s longest-standing refugee situation, with approximately Six million Palestinians living across the Levant. The first Gulf War, sanctions against Iraq in the 1990s and the 2003 US invasion of Iraq produced millions of refugees, with long-standing political repercussions for the region.
More recently, the 2011 Arab uprisings and the wars that followed in Syria, Yemen and Libya created millions of refugees, as well as internally displaced peoples, with nearly Six million Syrians still living in Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan and another Six million displaced inside Syria. 
New layers of displacement in Lebanon – nationals, refugees, and migrant workers – as well as cross-border movement into Syria will put further strain on the underfunded system of humanitarian assistance.
Further, the current Israel-Hezbollah war in Lebanon is not the first-time conflict between the state and its neighbour to the north has preceded large-scale displacement. To eliminate the Palestinian Liberation Organisation, Israel invaded Lebanon in 1978 and again in 1982. Israel’s 1982 invasion led to the Sabra and Shatila massacres of between 1,500-3,000 Palestinian civilians – carried out by Israel’s Lebanese Christian allies – showing that military operations that do not distinguish between militants and civilians can lead to devastating impacts for displaced populations.
It is high time that various international organisations particularly the UN and nations like the US and UK, must step-up their efforts to get a cease-fire implemented in the region. The next step obviously should be to get Israel out of all occupied or annexed territories and then handle the issue of Israel’s burgeoning arms industry, but for that the West will have to curtail its own arms manufacturing and buying, by putting a stop to the arms race.
---- 
*New Delhi-based senior commentator on international and strategic affairs, environmental issues, an interfaith practitioner, and a media consultant

Comments

TRENDING

A comrade in culture and controversy: Yao Wenyuan’s revolutionary legacy

By Harsh Thakor*  This year marks two important anniversaries in Chinese revolutionary history—the 20th death anniversary of Yao Wenyuan, and the 50th anniversary of his seminal essay "On the Social Basis of the Lin Biao Anti-Party Clique". These milestones invite reflection on the man whose pen ignited the first sparks of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution and whose sharp ideological interventions left an indelible imprint on the political and cultural landscape of socialist China.

Two more "aadhaar-linked" Jharkhand deaths: 17 die of starvation since Sept 2017

Kaleshwar's sons Santosh and Mantosh Counterview Desk A fact-finding team of the Right to Feed Campaign, pointing towards the death of two more persons due to starvation in Jharkhand, has said that this has happened because of the absence of aadhaar, leading to “persistent lack of food at home and unavailability of any means of earning.” It has disputed the state government claims that these deaths are due to reasons other than starvation, adding, the authorities have “done nothing” to reduce the alarming state of food insecurity in the state.

Epic war against caste system is constitutional responsibility of elected government

Edited by well-known Gujarat Dalit rights leader Martin Macwan, the book, “Bhed-Bharat: An Account of Injustice and Atrocities on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-18)” (available in English and Gujarati*) is a selection of news articles on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-2018) published by Dalit Shakti Prakashan, Ahmedabad. Preface to the book, in which Macwan seeks to answer key questions on why the book is needed today: *** The thought of compiling a book on atrocities on Dalits and thus present an overall Indian picture had occurred to me a long time ago. Absence of such a comprehensive picture is a major reason for a weak social and political consciousness among Dalits as well as non-Dalits. But gradually the idea took a different form. I found that lay readers don’t understand numbers and don’t like to read well-researched articles. The best way to reach out to them was storytelling. As I started writing in Gujarati and sharing the idea of the book with my friends, it occurred to me that while...

What's behind Donald Trump's 'narco-state' accusation against Venezuela

By Manolo De Los Santos  The US government has revived its campaign to label Venezuela a "narco-state", accusing its top leadership of drug trafficking and slapping hefty bounties on their heads for capture. This campaign, which only momentarily took a backseat, is a strategic fabrication, not a factual assessment. This accusation, particularly amplified under the Trump Administration, is a calculated smokescreen to justify a long-standing agenda: the overthrow of the Venezuelan government and the seizure of its vast oil and mineral resources. A closer examination of the facts reveals a country that has actively fought drug trafficking on its own terms and a US government with a clear and consistent history of destabilizing independent countries in Latin America.

New RTI draft rules inspired by citizen-unfriendly, overtly bureaucratic approach

By Venkatesh Nayak* The Department of Personnel and Training , Government of India has invited comments on a new set of Draft Rules (available in English only) to implement The Right to Information Act, 2005 . The RTI Rules were last amended in 2012 after a long period of consultation with various stakeholders. The Government’s move to put the draft RTI Rules out for people’s comments and suggestions for change is a welcome continuation of the tradition of public consultation. Positive aspects of the Draft RTI Rules While 60-65% of the Draft RTI Rules repeat the content of the 2012 RTI Rules, some new aspects deserve appreciation as they clarify the manner of implementation of key provisions of the RTI Act. These are: Provisions for dealing with non-compliance of the orders and directives of the Central Information Commission (CIC) by public authorities- this was missing in the 2012 RTI Rules. Non-compliance is increasingly becoming a major problem- two of my non-compliance cases are...

N-power plant at Mithi Virdi: CRZ nod is arbitrary, without jurisdiction

By Krishnakant* A case-appeal has been filed against the order of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and others granting CRZ clearance for establishment of intake and outfall facility for proposed 6000 MWe Nuclear Power Plant at Mithi Virdi, District Bhavnagar, Gujarat by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) vide order in F 11-23 /2014-IA- III dated March 3, 2015. The case-appeal in the National Green Tribunal at Western Bench at Pune is filed by Shaktisinh Gohil, Sarpanch of Jasapara; Hajabhai Dihora of Mithi Virdi; Jagrutiben Gohil of Jasapara; Krishnakant and Rohit Prajapati activist of the Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued a notice to the MoEF&CC, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Gujarat Coastal Zone Management Authority, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and case is kept for hearing on August 20, 2015. Appeal No. 23 of 2015 (WZ) is filed, a...

1857 War of Independence... when Hindu-Muslim separatism, hatred wasn't an issue

"The Sepoy Revolt at Meerut", Illustrated London News, 1857  By Shamsul Islam* Large sections of Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs unitedly challenged the greatest imperialist power, Britain, during India’s First War of Independence which began on May 10, 1857; the day being Sunday. This extraordinary unity, naturally, unnerved the firangees and made them realize that if their rule was to continue in India, it could happen only when Hindus and Muslims, the largest two religious communities were divided on communal lines.

Ground reality: Israel would a remain Jewish state, attempt to overthrow it will be futile

By NS Venkataraman*  Now that truce has been arrived at between Israel and Hamas for a period of four days and with release of a few hostages from both sides, there is hope that truce would be further extended and the intensity of war would become significantly less. This likely “truce period” gives an opportunity for the sworn supporters and bitter opponents of Hamas as well as Israel and the observers around the world to introspect on the happenings and whether this war could have been avoided. There is prolonged debate for the last several decades as to whom the present region that has been provided to Jews after the World War II belong. View of some people is that Jews have been occupants earlier and therefore, the region should belong to Jews only. However, Christians and those belonging to Islam have also lived in this regions for long period. While Christians make no claim, the dispute is between Jews and those who claim themselves to be Palestinians. In any case...

Fate of Yamuna floodplain still hangs in "balance" despite National Green Tribunal rap on Sri Sri event

By Ashok Shrimali* While the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Thursday reportedly pulled up the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) for granting permission to hold spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's World Culture Festival on the banks of Yamuna, the chief petitioners against the high-profile event Yamuna Jiye Abhiyan has declared, the “fate of the floodplain still hangs in balance.”