Skip to main content

Rejoinder: Why have ex-Gujarat govt officials become so active in Sahitya Parishad polls?

Prakash N Shah: Writer-activist
By Natubhai Parmar*
Some of those who once served the Gujarat government in senior positions have suddenly become very active. They are seeking to influence the Gujarati literary atmosphere by taking an unusually keen interest in the Gujarati Sahitya Parishad elections, which are currently taking place via postal ballots.
The results of the polls, in which more than 3,000 Parishad members are casting their votes,will be out in October last week. As voting is taking place, controversy has erupted following two such ex-officials contesting the post of Parishad’s president.
No doubt, it would have been better if, taking into account the healthy tradition of the Parishad, the president was elected unanimously. In the past, such stalwarts like Narayan Desai of the Gandhi katha fame, who also happens to be the son of Mahadev Desai, Mahatma Gandhi’s secretary, among other prestigious writers, are known to have become Parishad presidents unanimously.
This time, however, three writers are contesting the Parishad polls. Of these three, Harikrushna Pathak and Harshad Trivedi, are former state government officials. The third candidate, Prakash N.Shah, is writer-cum-activist and edits the Gujarati fortnightly ‘Nirikshak’.
As a keen observer of the ongoing Parishad election scenario, I can smell how bureaucratic-minded writers and their followers are in no mood to accept Prakash N Shah, a human rights activist, as Parishad president.
Harshad Trivedi, Harikrushna Pathak: Ex-state officials
One of them, himself is an ex-official with the state government, Dankesh Oza, has been canvassing for his preferred candidate, Harshad Trivedi, who was for a long time as a senior official in the state-owned Gujarat Sahitya Academy. He has raised several questions (click here) about Prakash N Shah, including why the latter has been using the Parishad logo for canvassing in ‘Nirikshak’, as also in his social media campaign.
Following Dankesh Oza’s social media posts, Prakash N Shah humbly decided to withdraw the logo. Interestingly, he did this even though Parishad election officer, PV Trivedi, a retired Gujarat cadre IAS bureaucrat, never objected to the use of the logo. Yet, hype was sought to be created to the extent that an impression was created that Prakash N Shah would withdraw.
Natubhai Parmar
Dankesh Oza is a known supporter of Harshad Trivedi. A joint appeal by the supporters to elect Harshad Trivedi as president of the Praishad includes his name.
Dankesh Oza’s social media drive has, no doubt, spread like wildfire. His only aim seems to be to ensure the victory of Harshad Trivedi by hook or by crook. Harikrushna Pathak, the other ex-official, is contesting the elections without any kind of publicity and appears convinced that his image as a writer and a person with neutral opinion would ensure his victory.
Dankesh Oza is trying to crusade very hard for Harshad Trivedi, even seeking to project himself as neutral. One should, however, remember: Politics and literature are two different things. Politics never suits literature.
One should also remember that Parishad elections are for the betterment of Gujarati literature. So, the winner’s role should serve only one purpose – of being a keen devotee of Gujarati language -- Goddess Saraswati.
---
*Former editor of a Dalit periodical, Dalit rights activist, formerly with Gujarat information department. This is a rejoinder to Dankesh Oza's article Gujarat literati flutter: State Akademi autonomy curb a Sahitya Parishad poll issue? (Counterview, September 28, 2020)

Comments

Ashok Shrimali said…
Very well argued by Natubhai for how to save Gujarati literature without political control. This is a high time to raise our voice for autonomy of any institutions whether it's literature, art, cultural or so.
Paresh Naik said…
Very well written.

TRENDING

A comrade in culture and controversy: Yao Wenyuan’s revolutionary legacy

By Harsh Thakor*  This year marks two important anniversaries in Chinese revolutionary history—the 20th death anniversary of Yao Wenyuan, and the 50th anniversary of his seminal essay "On the Social Basis of the Lin Biao Anti-Party Clique". These milestones invite reflection on the man whose pen ignited the first sparks of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution and whose sharp ideological interventions left an indelible imprint on the political and cultural landscape of socialist China.

Two more "aadhaar-linked" Jharkhand deaths: 17 die of starvation since Sept 2017

Kaleshwar's sons Santosh and Mantosh Counterview Desk A fact-finding team of the Right to Feed Campaign, pointing towards the death of two more persons due to starvation in Jharkhand, has said that this has happened because of the absence of aadhaar, leading to “persistent lack of food at home and unavailability of any means of earning.” It has disputed the state government claims that these deaths are due to reasons other than starvation, adding, the authorities have “done nothing” to reduce the alarming state of food insecurity in the state.

Epic war against caste system is constitutional responsibility of elected government

Edited by well-known Gujarat Dalit rights leader Martin Macwan, the book, “Bhed-Bharat: An Account of Injustice and Atrocities on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-18)” (available in English and Gujarati*) is a selection of news articles on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-2018) published by Dalit Shakti Prakashan, Ahmedabad. Preface to the book, in which Macwan seeks to answer key questions on why the book is needed today: *** The thought of compiling a book on atrocities on Dalits and thus present an overall Indian picture had occurred to me a long time ago. Absence of such a comprehensive picture is a major reason for a weak social and political consciousness among Dalits as well as non-Dalits. But gradually the idea took a different form. I found that lay readers don’t understand numbers and don’t like to read well-researched articles. The best way to reach out to them was storytelling. As I started writing in Gujarati and sharing the idea of the book with my friends, it occurred to me that while...

What's behind Donald Trump's 'narco-state' accusation against Venezuela

By Manolo De Los Santos  The US government has revived its campaign to label Venezuela a "narco-state", accusing its top leadership of drug trafficking and slapping hefty bounties on their heads for capture. This campaign, which only momentarily took a backseat, is a strategic fabrication, not a factual assessment. This accusation, particularly amplified under the Trump Administration, is a calculated smokescreen to justify a long-standing agenda: the overthrow of the Venezuelan government and the seizure of its vast oil and mineral resources. A closer examination of the facts reveals a country that has actively fought drug trafficking on its own terms and a US government with a clear and consistent history of destabilizing independent countries in Latin America.

New RTI draft rules inspired by citizen-unfriendly, overtly bureaucratic approach

By Venkatesh Nayak* The Department of Personnel and Training , Government of India has invited comments on a new set of Draft Rules (available in English only) to implement The Right to Information Act, 2005 . The RTI Rules were last amended in 2012 after a long period of consultation with various stakeholders. The Government’s move to put the draft RTI Rules out for people’s comments and suggestions for change is a welcome continuation of the tradition of public consultation. Positive aspects of the Draft RTI Rules While 60-65% of the Draft RTI Rules repeat the content of the 2012 RTI Rules, some new aspects deserve appreciation as they clarify the manner of implementation of key provisions of the RTI Act. These are: Provisions for dealing with non-compliance of the orders and directives of the Central Information Commission (CIC) by public authorities- this was missing in the 2012 RTI Rules. Non-compliance is increasingly becoming a major problem- two of my non-compliance cases are...

N-power plant at Mithi Virdi: CRZ nod is arbitrary, without jurisdiction

By Krishnakant* A case-appeal has been filed against the order of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and others granting CRZ clearance for establishment of intake and outfall facility for proposed 6000 MWe Nuclear Power Plant at Mithi Virdi, District Bhavnagar, Gujarat by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) vide order in F 11-23 /2014-IA- III dated March 3, 2015. The case-appeal in the National Green Tribunal at Western Bench at Pune is filed by Shaktisinh Gohil, Sarpanch of Jasapara; Hajabhai Dihora of Mithi Virdi; Jagrutiben Gohil of Jasapara; Krishnakant and Rohit Prajapati activist of the Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued a notice to the MoEF&CC, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Gujarat Coastal Zone Management Authority, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and case is kept for hearing on August 20, 2015. Appeal No. 23 of 2015 (WZ) is filed, a...

1857 War of Independence... when Hindu-Muslim separatism, hatred wasn't an issue

"The Sepoy Revolt at Meerut", Illustrated London News, 1857  By Shamsul Islam* Large sections of Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs unitedly challenged the greatest imperialist power, Britain, during India’s First War of Independence which began on May 10, 1857; the day being Sunday. This extraordinary unity, naturally, unnerved the firangees and made them realize that if their rule was to continue in India, it could happen only when Hindus and Muslims, the largest two religious communities were divided on communal lines.

Ground reality: Israel would a remain Jewish state, attempt to overthrow it will be futile

By NS Venkataraman*  Now that truce has been arrived at between Israel and Hamas for a period of four days and with release of a few hostages from both sides, there is hope that truce would be further extended and the intensity of war would become significantly less. This likely “truce period” gives an opportunity for the sworn supporters and bitter opponents of Hamas as well as Israel and the observers around the world to introspect on the happenings and whether this war could have been avoided. There is prolonged debate for the last several decades as to whom the present region that has been provided to Jews after the World War II belong. View of some people is that Jews have been occupants earlier and therefore, the region should belong to Jews only. However, Christians and those belonging to Islam have also lived in this regions for long period. While Christians make no claim, the dispute is between Jews and those who claim themselves to be Palestinians. In any case...

Fate of Yamuna floodplain still hangs in "balance" despite National Green Tribunal rap on Sri Sri event

By Ashok Shrimali* While the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Thursday reportedly pulled up the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) for granting permission to hold spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's World Culture Festival on the banks of Yamuna, the chief petitioners against the high-profile event Yamuna Jiye Abhiyan has declared, the “fate of the floodplain still hangs in balance.”