Skip to main content

Rohingya repatriation? As ICJ hearing draws nearer, Myanmar begins to 'show concern'

By Sumaiya Jannat 

On April 24, the International Court of Justice (ICJ) will hear Gambia's case of Rohingya torture against Myanmar. And before that, Naypyidaw wants to start repatriation of Rohingyas to keep the attitude of the court in their favor. The country has sent a technical team to quickly verify the Rohingya. Earlier, the country had adopted the same strategy.
A 17-member technical team from Myanmar arrived in Bangladesh a few days back. The delegation was divided into four groups and is scrutinizing the Rohingya. They sought to conduct last-minute verification of the Rohingyas who have already been verified. This verification lasted for five days.
The counter-memorial or reply to the allegations raised against Myanmar should be made in the hearing of the ICJ in April. As a result, Naypyidaw appears to be seeking to repatriate some Rohingya before that to show progress in the court.
Bangladesh is not looking at Myanmar's activities with simple eyes. Dhaka has been pressuring Myanmar to start repatriation for a long time. But the country never paid attention to it. Now that the court hearing has come, their roar has increased. Although preparing to take the first batch, there is no guidance from Myanmar on when to take the second batch, who to take or when to complete the verification. As a result, repatriation to the court has started but it is not regular.
The pilot project to start repatriation under the trilateral initiative with the participation of China was taken up in October 2021. At that time, Myanmar gave two lists of 711 Muslim and 317 Hindu Rohingya. It can be seen that if the Muslim Rohingyas are repatriated, many will be separated from their families. Bangladesh objected to it. Because no Rohingya will go back unless the whole family goes together. At that time, Myanmar expressed its interest to take back 440 Hindu Rohingyas staying in Bangladesh first. But Dhaka does not agree to this.
Naypyidaw is playing the religious card. An example of this is the repatriation of all Hindu Rohingyas together. In this case, Bangladesh fears that Myanmar may spread anti-Muslim propaganda. Hindu Rohingya will go, but gradually. Myanmar says it is under pressure from a neighbouring state to take back the Hindu Rohingya. Neighbouring countries have built houses for the Hindu Rohingyas by spending huge sums of money. They want to ensure that the Hindu Rohingyas get that share first.
Last July, the ICJ dismissed Naypyidaw's four objections. The court ruled to continue the case against Myanmar. They want to repatriate with that in mind, so that they can present something positive in court. As it did before the 2022 court hearing. In February that year, Naypyidaw sat in on the Joint Working Group meeting, and presented it to the court.
Myanmar's sudden push for repatriation cannot be taken lightly. If they really wanted to repatriate, the country would have completed the selection of hundreds of thousands of Rohingya in the beginning, so that the Rohingyas can be repatriated within a specific time interval of 1-2 months.
If the repatriation is regular, the confidence of the Rohingya will return. They will be encouraged to go. And if it doesn't, it's doubtful how durable the first mover will be.
When asked who will take care of the first batch when they go to Rakhine, a concerned official said, ASEAN has a monitoring office in Rakhine. They will monitor the situation of the Rohingyas. Also, the United Nations will take care of the Rohingyas. However, since the transportation system is not convenient, the United Nations must gain speed to do this work.
So far, Bangladesh has provided complete information of about 830,000 Rohingya to Myanmar. Out of this, only 7-8 percent, about 70 thousand Rohingyas have been verified by the country. Naypyidaw has given a green signal for 52 percent of these 70,000 Rohingyas.
Myanmar finally sent a delegation to take back the Rohingyas who fled to Bangladesh in the face of violence in Myanmar. The delegation came to Teknaf in Cox's Bazar district of Bangladesh on March 15 to re-verify the information of the Rohingya who were listed for repatriation.
In 2018, Bangladesh sent a list of 888,000 Rohingya refugees to Myanmar with the aim of repatriating Rohingya. Then a return list of 68,000 Rohingyas was sent by Myanmar. From that list, 1140 people were initially selected for family-based repatriation. Of these, Myanmar agreed to the repatriation of 711 Rohingyas, but had objections to the remaining 429.
Any member of the same family from that initial repatriation list moves to the exclusion list. The delegation has come to Bangladesh this time to re-verify the information of 429 Rohingyas who were excluded when the matter was informed to Myanmar. Refugee Relief and Repatriation Commission (RRRC) Commissioner Mizanur Rahman confirmed this information.
They have sought proper resettlement, dignified citizenship rights, free movement and recognition as Rohingyas
Again, many Rohingya families in that list have given birth to new children. He said it could be considered to record the data of those children as well. The members of this technical team will mainly verify the list of Rohingyas. They interviewed at least 65 Rohingyas on the first day on Wednesday. It is estimated that it may take 5-6 days to verify all the information.
However, the members of the delegation only interviewed the Rohingyas. One of them said that they are not saying anything about repatriation. The repatriation of the Rohingyas was supposed to start twice before, but it was not possible due to objections regarding the security of the Rohingyas.
Two Rohingyas who took part in the interview told BBC Bangla on condition of anonymity that the representatives of Myanmar asked them if they want to return to their country of Myanmar. In response, one said, "Myanmar is my country, why don't I want to return? Bangladesh is not my country. I want to return to motherland again. But we have spoken about some of our demands."
Like him, most Rohingya have sought safety in Myanmar if they return to Myanmar. They have also sought proper resettlement, dignified citizenship rights, free movement and recognition as Rohingyas where their houses have been burnt down. “If they give us security, freedom of movement, civil facilities, houses-places-land make us like before we will definitely go. They burned us all," said a Rohingya.
As evidence of Myanmar citizenship, Rohingya members were asked to show their Myanmar land-deeds, Myanmar-sealed documents, etc. Also various information about their name, identity, address, occupation etc. is taken.
The Rohingya returned with an interview and said, "They asked us various questions such as which area of Myanmar we were in, where we were, in which district, which police station, which mauza, who was the chairman there, who were the assembly members. We have shown our land papers. I could not show many papers. burned.”
However, none of the delegation said anything about whether they will be taken back at all. After 25th August 2017, millions of Rohingyas fled to Bangladesh in the face of violence for the next few months. The Rohingyas who escaped at different times also took refuge in Bangladesh. In total, there are about 1.2 million Rohingya who have been transferred to 33 camps in Ukhia and Teknaf and Bhasanchar.
Although various efforts have been made for the repatriation of these Rohingyas for the past six years, the Bangladesh government has not been able to send even a single Rohingya back to their country. The agreement on repatriation was signed on November 23, 2017, three months after the Rohingya fled from Myanmar. For this reason, a joint working committee of the two countries was formed in Dhaka on December 19 of the same year for the repatriation of Rohingya.
It was supposed to start the repatriation process within two months of signing the agreement. But Myanmar's list has been delayed in the name of verification. An attempt to initiate a round of repatriation in 2018 failed. Later, through the mediation of China, there was an attempt to start repatriation again in 2019, but the Rohingyas did not agree to return, citing concerns about the environment in Rakhine State.
Then in February 2021, Myanmar's military seized power through a coup. This brought the repatriation talks to a standstill. As a result, the repatriation of Rohingyas became uncertain. Later, in the face of international pressure, the country's government repeatedly assured, but so far no initiative has been seen in repatriation.
Mizanur Rahman, Commissioner of the Refugee Relief and Repatriation Commission (RRRC) sees this verification step of Myanmar very positively. He said, “It is definitely a positive response. It was stopped for so long. Now there is a movement. This may advance the repatriation process. But that's a higher-level decision."
Delegates who arrived had no authority to comment on repatriation, only conduct interviews. He said that they will not participate in any program like visiting the camp or holding meetings.

Comments

TRENDING

A comrade in culture and controversy: Yao Wenyuan’s revolutionary legacy

By Harsh Thakor*  This year marks two important anniversaries in Chinese revolutionary history—the 20th death anniversary of Yao Wenyuan, and the 50th anniversary of his seminal essay "On the Social Basis of the Lin Biao Anti-Party Clique". These milestones invite reflection on the man whose pen ignited the first sparks of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution and whose sharp ideological interventions left an indelible imprint on the political and cultural landscape of socialist China.

Two more "aadhaar-linked" Jharkhand deaths: 17 die of starvation since Sept 2017

Kaleshwar's sons Santosh and Mantosh Counterview Desk A fact-finding team of the Right to Feed Campaign, pointing towards the death of two more persons due to starvation in Jharkhand, has said that this has happened because of the absence of aadhaar, leading to “persistent lack of food at home and unavailability of any means of earning.” It has disputed the state government claims that these deaths are due to reasons other than starvation, adding, the authorities have “done nothing” to reduce the alarming state of food insecurity in the state.

What's behind Donald Trump's 'narco-state' accusation against Venezuela

By Manolo De Los Santos  The US government has revived its campaign to label Venezuela a "narco-state", accusing its top leadership of drug trafficking and slapping hefty bounties on their heads for capture. This campaign, which only momentarily took a backseat, is a strategic fabrication, not a factual assessment. This accusation, particularly amplified under the Trump Administration, is a calculated smokescreen to justify a long-standing agenda: the overthrow of the Venezuelan government and the seizure of its vast oil and mineral resources. A closer examination of the facts reveals a country that has actively fought drug trafficking on its own terms and a US government with a clear and consistent history of destabilizing independent countries in Latin America.

Epic war against caste system is constitutional responsibility of elected government

Edited by well-known Gujarat Dalit rights leader Martin Macwan, the book, “Bhed-Bharat: An Account of Injustice and Atrocities on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-18)” (available in English and Gujarati*) is a selection of news articles on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-2018) published by Dalit Shakti Prakashan, Ahmedabad. Preface to the book, in which Macwan seeks to answer key questions on why the book is needed today: *** The thought of compiling a book on atrocities on Dalits and thus present an overall Indian picture had occurred to me a long time ago. Absence of such a comprehensive picture is a major reason for a weak social and political consciousness among Dalits as well as non-Dalits. But gradually the idea took a different form. I found that lay readers don’t understand numbers and don’t like to read well-researched articles. The best way to reach out to them was storytelling. As I started writing in Gujarati and sharing the idea of the book with my friends, it occurred to me that while...

New RTI draft rules inspired by citizen-unfriendly, overtly bureaucratic approach

By Venkatesh Nayak* The Department of Personnel and Training , Government of India has invited comments on a new set of Draft Rules (available in English only) to implement The Right to Information Act, 2005 . The RTI Rules were last amended in 2012 after a long period of consultation with various stakeholders. The Government’s move to put the draft RTI Rules out for people’s comments and suggestions for change is a welcome continuation of the tradition of public consultation. Positive aspects of the Draft RTI Rules While 60-65% of the Draft RTI Rules repeat the content of the 2012 RTI Rules, some new aspects deserve appreciation as they clarify the manner of implementation of key provisions of the RTI Act. These are: Provisions for dealing with non-compliance of the orders and directives of the Central Information Commission (CIC) by public authorities- this was missing in the 2012 RTI Rules. Non-compliance is increasingly becoming a major problem- two of my non-compliance cases are...

N-power plant at Mithi Virdi: CRZ nod is arbitrary, without jurisdiction

By Krishnakant* A case-appeal has been filed against the order of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and others granting CRZ clearance for establishment of intake and outfall facility for proposed 6000 MWe Nuclear Power Plant at Mithi Virdi, District Bhavnagar, Gujarat by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) vide order in F 11-23 /2014-IA- III dated March 3, 2015. The case-appeal in the National Green Tribunal at Western Bench at Pune is filed by Shaktisinh Gohil, Sarpanch of Jasapara; Hajabhai Dihora of Mithi Virdi; Jagrutiben Gohil of Jasapara; Krishnakant and Rohit Prajapati activist of the Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued a notice to the MoEF&CC, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Gujarat Coastal Zone Management Authority, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and case is kept for hearing on August 20, 2015. Appeal No. 23 of 2015 (WZ) is filed, a...

1857 War of Independence... when Hindu-Muslim separatism, hatred wasn't an issue

"The Sepoy Revolt at Meerut", Illustrated London News, 1857  By Shamsul Islam* Large sections of Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs unitedly challenged the greatest imperialist power, Britain, during India’s First War of Independence which began on May 10, 1857; the day being Sunday. This extraordinary unity, naturally, unnerved the firangees and made them realize that if their rule was to continue in India, it could happen only when Hindus and Muslims, the largest two religious communities were divided on communal lines.

Ground reality: Israel would a remain Jewish state, attempt to overthrow it will be futile

By NS Venkataraman*  Now that truce has been arrived at between Israel and Hamas for a period of four days and with release of a few hostages from both sides, there is hope that truce would be further extended and the intensity of war would become significantly less. This likely “truce period” gives an opportunity for the sworn supporters and bitter opponents of Hamas as well as Israel and the observers around the world to introspect on the happenings and whether this war could have been avoided. There is prolonged debate for the last several decades as to whom the present region that has been provided to Jews after the World War II belong. View of some people is that Jews have been occupants earlier and therefore, the region should belong to Jews only. However, Christians and those belonging to Islam have also lived in this regions for long period. While Christians make no claim, the dispute is between Jews and those who claim themselves to be Palestinians. In any case...

Fate of Yamuna floodplain still hangs in "balance" despite National Green Tribunal rap on Sri Sri event

By Ashok Shrimali* While the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Thursday reportedly pulled up the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) for granting permission to hold spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's World Culture Festival on the banks of Yamuna, the chief petitioners against the high-profile event Yamuna Jiye Abhiyan has declared, the “fate of the floodplain still hangs in balance.”