Skip to main content

Gujarat 'ignores' 2002 riots anniversary. Only exception: Jamaat-sponsored webinar


A JIH-supported rehabilitation colony
By Mahesh Trivedi* 
The 19th anniversary of the 2002 Hindu-Muslim riots that tarnished the image of Gujarat passed off almost unnoticed on February 28. No mention of the bloody anti-Muslim pogrom was made even in the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-ruled state’s mainstream media. Ironically, it was left to the Jamaat-e-Islami Hind (JIH) to pay tributes in its own way to the riots victims and survivors. 
Speakers at a JIH webinar blamed the state government for its lackadaisical attitude toward the affected Muslims, who they said are leading a dog’s life and ploughing their own furrow even after almost two decades.
As many as 19 years have gone by since some 2,000 men, women and children, mostly Muslims, were killed and about 200,000 people were rendered homeless in the savage clashes that also saw destruction of 302 dargahs, 209 mosques and 13 madrasas, not to mention loss of property worth Rs 2.44 billion for the minority community, all this under the watch of the then Chief Minister Narendra Modi, who is now the Prime Minister.
While the BJP-controlled Gujarat government has not stirred a finger to frame even a rehabilitation policy for the riot-ravaged people, JIH, through NGOs like the Islamic Relief Committee Gujarat, is known to have have played a major role in their re-establishment, spending almost Rs 40 million for victims of the riots, building 1,321 new homes and repairing 4,946 damaged ones.
JIH, which claims to have helped 3,500 dirt-poor, displaced families living in subhuman conditions in tumbledown temporary shelters at 83 ill-equipped relief colonies, sponsored a webinar on the Gujarat riots anniversary participated by rights activists and community leaders in order to “brainstorm” on the plight of not only the riot-hit but all the six million Muslims in Modi’s homeland.
Titled “Let’s struggle for peace, justice and communal harmony”, hosted by Vaseef Hussain, secretary, National and Community Affairs, JIH Gujarat, the webinar saw Muhammad Shafi Madni, JIH national secretary, stating that fact-finding reports on the riots had exposed the real, political motive behind triggering the communal clashes, adding, the state government, instead of lending a helping hand to those affected by the wanton violence, sympathised with the predators, and also created hurdles in the path of the do-gooders engaged in relief work.
“Jamaat-e-Islami Hind and many other voluntary organisations strained their every nerve to establish and maintain peace and brotherhood but those who are responsible for law and order are out to shatter communal amity,” he asserted.
Muhammad Sharif Malik, co-convener of Alpasankhyak Adhikar Manch (Minority Rights Forum), revealed that even after 2002 riots, communal incidents have not stopped but their nature and pattern have changed with the result that only the Constitution can offer protection to Muslims.
He said the Manch’s fact-finding missions have revealed that while the 2002 riots were on a large scale in terms of their geographical expanse and losses in terms of property and lives, subsequent riots had been sub-radar on a smaller scale, adding that the recurrence of “small-scale riots” had led to “rapid polarisation of society along religious lines.
Anand Yagnik, Vaseef Hussain
Human rights lawyer Govind Parmar felt that these were dangerous times and hence more and more programmes focussing on communal amity were the need of the hour to establish a secular society.
Laying stress on united efforts to establish peace, Mujahid Nafees, convener, Minority Coordination Committee, Gujarat, opined that the ruling party was responsible for maintaining peace and harmony but, unfortunately, the same people were adept at fishing in troubled waters.
Said senior Gujarat High Court advocate Anand Yagnik: “I am ready to fight the cases of the riot-affected people. Being a Hindu, I apologise to the Muslims who went through hell during the 2002 riots. However, riots have not stopped but continue in the form of attacks on institutions who work by strictly abiding by the Constitution.”
Giving an example of harassment of even judges, he said, the Karnataka High Court’s Justice Jayant Patel, under whose supervision the CBI had filed a chargesheet in the Ishrat Jahan case, claiming that top Intelligence Bureau and Gujarat Police officials were involved, was sidelined and had to resign in a huff.
He also said that Justice Akil Kureshi who had in 2010 remitted Union Home Minister Amit Shah to police custody for two days in the Sohrabuddin case, was also never promoted.
Tanveer Jafri, son of former Congress MP Ehsan Jafri who was killed by Hindu rioters during the 2002 riots, said that India had remained secular because of its educated citizens who were also secular-minded, adding that time was ripe for the Muslim community to launch an education movement.
He held out a warning that if education was neglected, Muslims in Gujarat would face the same fate as that of Myanmar’s Rohingyas.
---
Senior Ahmedabad-based journalist. A version of this report was earlier published in India Tomorrow

Comments

TRENDING

A comrade in culture and controversy: Yao Wenyuan’s revolutionary legacy

By Harsh Thakor*  This year marks two important anniversaries in Chinese revolutionary history—the 20th death anniversary of Yao Wenyuan, and the 50th anniversary of his seminal essay "On the Social Basis of the Lin Biao Anti-Party Clique". These milestones invite reflection on the man whose pen ignited the first sparks of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution and whose sharp ideological interventions left an indelible imprint on the political and cultural landscape of socialist China.

Two more "aadhaar-linked" Jharkhand deaths: 17 die of starvation since Sept 2017

Kaleshwar's sons Santosh and Mantosh Counterview Desk A fact-finding team of the Right to Feed Campaign, pointing towards the death of two more persons due to starvation in Jharkhand, has said that this has happened because of the absence of aadhaar, leading to “persistent lack of food at home and unavailability of any means of earning.” It has disputed the state government claims that these deaths are due to reasons other than starvation, adding, the authorities have “done nothing” to reduce the alarming state of food insecurity in the state.

Epic war against caste system is constitutional responsibility of elected government

Edited by well-known Gujarat Dalit rights leader Martin Macwan, the book, “Bhed-Bharat: An Account of Injustice and Atrocities on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-18)” (available in English and Gujarati*) is a selection of news articles on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-2018) published by Dalit Shakti Prakashan, Ahmedabad. Preface to the book, in which Macwan seeks to answer key questions on why the book is needed today: *** The thought of compiling a book on atrocities on Dalits and thus present an overall Indian picture had occurred to me a long time ago. Absence of such a comprehensive picture is a major reason for a weak social and political consciousness among Dalits as well as non-Dalits. But gradually the idea took a different form. I found that lay readers don’t understand numbers and don’t like to read well-researched articles. The best way to reach out to them was storytelling. As I started writing in Gujarati and sharing the idea of the book with my friends, it occurred to me that while...

What's behind Donald Trump's 'narco-state' accusation against Venezuela

By Manolo De Los Santos  The US government has revived its campaign to label Venezuela a "narco-state", accusing its top leadership of drug trafficking and slapping hefty bounties on their heads for capture. This campaign, which only momentarily took a backseat, is a strategic fabrication, not a factual assessment. This accusation, particularly amplified under the Trump Administration, is a calculated smokescreen to justify a long-standing agenda: the overthrow of the Venezuelan government and the seizure of its vast oil and mineral resources. A closer examination of the facts reveals a country that has actively fought drug trafficking on its own terms and a US government with a clear and consistent history of destabilizing independent countries in Latin America.

New RTI draft rules inspired by citizen-unfriendly, overtly bureaucratic approach

By Venkatesh Nayak* The Department of Personnel and Training , Government of India has invited comments on a new set of Draft Rules (available in English only) to implement The Right to Information Act, 2005 . The RTI Rules were last amended in 2012 after a long period of consultation with various stakeholders. The Government’s move to put the draft RTI Rules out for people’s comments and suggestions for change is a welcome continuation of the tradition of public consultation. Positive aspects of the Draft RTI Rules While 60-65% of the Draft RTI Rules repeat the content of the 2012 RTI Rules, some new aspects deserve appreciation as they clarify the manner of implementation of key provisions of the RTI Act. These are: Provisions for dealing with non-compliance of the orders and directives of the Central Information Commission (CIC) by public authorities- this was missing in the 2012 RTI Rules. Non-compliance is increasingly becoming a major problem- two of my non-compliance cases are...

N-power plant at Mithi Virdi: CRZ nod is arbitrary, without jurisdiction

By Krishnakant* A case-appeal has been filed against the order of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and others granting CRZ clearance for establishment of intake and outfall facility for proposed 6000 MWe Nuclear Power Plant at Mithi Virdi, District Bhavnagar, Gujarat by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) vide order in F 11-23 /2014-IA- III dated March 3, 2015. The case-appeal in the National Green Tribunal at Western Bench at Pune is filed by Shaktisinh Gohil, Sarpanch of Jasapara; Hajabhai Dihora of Mithi Virdi; Jagrutiben Gohil of Jasapara; Krishnakant and Rohit Prajapati activist of the Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued a notice to the MoEF&CC, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Gujarat Coastal Zone Management Authority, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and case is kept for hearing on August 20, 2015. Appeal No. 23 of 2015 (WZ) is filed, a...

1857 War of Independence... when Hindu-Muslim separatism, hatred wasn't an issue

"The Sepoy Revolt at Meerut", Illustrated London News, 1857  By Shamsul Islam* Large sections of Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs unitedly challenged the greatest imperialist power, Britain, during India’s First War of Independence which began on May 10, 1857; the day being Sunday. This extraordinary unity, naturally, unnerved the firangees and made them realize that if their rule was to continue in India, it could happen only when Hindus and Muslims, the largest two religious communities were divided on communal lines.

Ground reality: Israel would a remain Jewish state, attempt to overthrow it will be futile

By NS Venkataraman*  Now that truce has been arrived at between Israel and Hamas for a period of four days and with release of a few hostages from both sides, there is hope that truce would be further extended and the intensity of war would become significantly less. This likely “truce period” gives an opportunity for the sworn supporters and bitter opponents of Hamas as well as Israel and the observers around the world to introspect on the happenings and whether this war could have been avoided. There is prolonged debate for the last several decades as to whom the present region that has been provided to Jews after the World War II belong. View of some people is that Jews have been occupants earlier and therefore, the region should belong to Jews only. However, Christians and those belonging to Islam have also lived in this regions for long period. While Christians make no claim, the dispute is between Jews and those who claim themselves to be Palestinians. In any case...

Fate of Yamuna floodplain still hangs in "balance" despite National Green Tribunal rap on Sri Sri event

By Ashok Shrimali* While the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Thursday reportedly pulled up the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) for granting permission to hold spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's World Culture Festival on the banks of Yamuna, the chief petitioners against the high-profile event Yamuna Jiye Abhiyan has declared, the “fate of the floodplain still hangs in balance.”