Skip to main content

Unwarranted? Delhi cops 'pick up' activists involved in relief work in lockdown regime

Yogesh Swamy (middle)
Counterview Desk
On April 16, Yogesh Swamy, an activist involved in relief work in North-East Delhi, was alleged to have been arbitrarily picked by Delhi Police's Special Cell. Yogesh, says a network of students’ and civil rights groups, Yogesh is one of those who has been “picked up and detained from all corners of the city, especially in those areas where protests against the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA), National Register of Citizens (NRC) and National Population Register (NPR) were underway.
Also involved in giving a helping hand to those affected by the February 2020 violence, a statement by the rights group network, Campaign Against State Repression (CASR)*, says, “This is happening despite the lockdown enforced due to the COVID-19 pandemic”, demanding their “immediate and unconditional” release end to the “climate of fear being created by the Delhi Police.”

Text:

The Delhi Police’s Special Cell picked up Yogesh Swamy On April 16 in the most brazen manner. A national vice president of Naujawan Bharat Sabha (NBS) and member of Bigul Mazdoor Dasta, Yogesh was picked up from Karawal Nagar where he has been providing relief to people affected by the February 2020 violence and those suffering from a lack of food and other essential supplies during the ongoing lockdown.
In the name of interrogation, 8 to 9 police personnel, including several plain-clothed officers arrived at the NBS office in Karawal Nagar this afternoon. Yogesh along with several others of NBS had been preparing and distributing food from the NBS office for the last two months. The police upon arrival quickly surrounded Yogesh and before anyone could intervene, he was forced into the police vehicle and taken away.
None of the police officers identified themselves, nor did they provide any reason for wanting to interrogate Yogesh. Also, no information was provided regarding where he was being taken. Police did not even produce a warrant or notice. This is tantamount to abduction.
It must be noted that during the Central government imposed lockdown to contain the corona Virus outbreak, the actions of the Delhi Police have been disgraceful. Instead of providing relief to the countless workers trapped in the city without food or shelter, the Delhi Police has engaged in wanton brutality against workers and the violence affected people of North East Delhi, particularly those who belong to the minority community.
Moreover, the Delhi Police has engaged in systematic targeting of activists and students, many of whom are engaged in indispensable relief work. This is being done on the grounds that they were involved in the protests against the anti-people and communally charged Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA), National Registry of Citizens (NRC) and the National Population Register (NPR) which till less than a month ago had enveloped the entire city.
News reports have indicated that over 800 persons have been arrested following the violence in North East Delhi, the bulk of whom in a mockery of justice are persons from the violence affected minority community and activists involved the protests against the CAA, NRC and NPR. Nonetheless, the Ministry of Home Affairs under Amit Shah has demanded the Delhi Police continue arrests “under any circumstances” despite the COVID-19 pandemic and lockdown.
The action, instead of helping the people, will further aggravate the dire situation of the lakhs of daily wage workers and their families
Consequently, the Delhi Police is using isolation and immobility caused by the lockdown to target students from Jamia Millia Islamia, members of the Jamia Coordination Committee (JCC), activists and residents of Chand Bagh, Haus Rani, Jamia Nagar, Kardampuri, Khajoori Khas, Khureji Khas, Seelampur, Shaheen Bagh, etc. 
Not long ago, all these areas were centres of resistance to the CAA, NRC and NPR. Activists have been harassed via threatening phone calls, called in for interrogation and, in some cases, even taken into custody. Not only are these actions a form of state repression but they increase the risks of a COVID-19 infection.
It is clear that instead of addressing the concerns being raised by the people worst affected by the pandemic and its own criminal complicity in the communal violence, the police are using a humanitarian crisis to further target and silence those who are currently involved in relief work for the worst affected. Their actions, instead of helping the people, will further aggravate the dire situation of the lakhs of daily wage workers and their families who are today bordering on starvation.
The Campaign Against State Repression (CASR) denounces these vile actions of the Delhi Police against the activists from the minority community and progressive organisations and demands the release of all persons arrested in connection with the protests against the CAA, NRC and NPR including Sharjeel Imam, Akhil Gogoi, Khalid Saifi, Soneshwar Narah, Pranab Doley, Meeran Haider and Safoora Zargar among others. 
CASR also demands an immediate cessation to all activities of the Delhi Police regarding the targeting of students and activists during the lockdown and the immediate release of Comrade Yogesh Swamy and all such persons detained by the Delhi Police.
---
*Signatories for the Campaign Against State Repression: AISA, AISF, APCR, Bhim Army, Bigul Mazdoor Dasta, BSCEM, CEM, CRPP, CTF, Disha, DISSC, DSU, DTF, IAPL, IFTU, IMK, Karnataka Janashakti, KYS, Lokpaksh, LSI, Mazdoor Adhikar Sangathan, Mazdoor Patrika, Mehnatkash Mahila Sangathan, Morcha Patrika, NAPM, NBS, NCHRO, Nowruz, NTUI, PDSU, People’s Watch, Rihai Manch, Samajwadi Janparishad, Satyashodak Sangh, SFI, United Against Hate, WSS

Comments

TRENDING

A comrade in culture and controversy: Yao Wenyuan’s revolutionary legacy

By Harsh Thakor*  This year marks two important anniversaries in Chinese revolutionary history—the 20th death anniversary of Yao Wenyuan, and the 50th anniversary of his seminal essay "On the Social Basis of the Lin Biao Anti-Party Clique". These milestones invite reflection on the man whose pen ignited the first sparks of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution and whose sharp ideological interventions left an indelible imprint on the political and cultural landscape of socialist China.

Two more "aadhaar-linked" Jharkhand deaths: 17 die of starvation since Sept 2017

Kaleshwar's sons Santosh and Mantosh Counterview Desk A fact-finding team of the Right to Feed Campaign, pointing towards the death of two more persons due to starvation in Jharkhand, has said that this has happened because of the absence of aadhaar, leading to “persistent lack of food at home and unavailability of any means of earning.” It has disputed the state government claims that these deaths are due to reasons other than starvation, adding, the authorities have “done nothing” to reduce the alarming state of food insecurity in the state.

Epic war against caste system is constitutional responsibility of elected government

Edited by well-known Gujarat Dalit rights leader Martin Macwan, the book, “Bhed-Bharat: An Account of Injustice and Atrocities on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-18)” (available in English and Gujarati*) is a selection of news articles on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-2018) published by Dalit Shakti Prakashan, Ahmedabad. Preface to the book, in which Macwan seeks to answer key questions on why the book is needed today: *** The thought of compiling a book on atrocities on Dalits and thus present an overall Indian picture had occurred to me a long time ago. Absence of such a comprehensive picture is a major reason for a weak social and political consciousness among Dalits as well as non-Dalits. But gradually the idea took a different form. I found that lay readers don’t understand numbers and don’t like to read well-researched articles. The best way to reach out to them was storytelling. As I started writing in Gujarati and sharing the idea of the book with my friends, it occurred to me that while...

New RTI draft rules inspired by citizen-unfriendly, overtly bureaucratic approach

By Venkatesh Nayak* The Department of Personnel and Training , Government of India has invited comments on a new set of Draft Rules (available in English only) to implement The Right to Information Act, 2005 . The RTI Rules were last amended in 2012 after a long period of consultation with various stakeholders. The Government’s move to put the draft RTI Rules out for people’s comments and suggestions for change is a welcome continuation of the tradition of public consultation. Positive aspects of the Draft RTI Rules While 60-65% of the Draft RTI Rules repeat the content of the 2012 RTI Rules, some new aspects deserve appreciation as they clarify the manner of implementation of key provisions of the RTI Act. These are: Provisions for dealing with non-compliance of the orders and directives of the Central Information Commission (CIC) by public authorities- this was missing in the 2012 RTI Rules. Non-compliance is increasingly becoming a major problem- two of my non-compliance cases are...

What's behind Donald Trump's 'narco-state' accusation against Venezuela

By Manolo De Los Santos  The US government has revived its campaign to label Venezuela a "narco-state", accusing its top leadership of drug trafficking and slapping hefty bounties on their heads for capture. This campaign, which only momentarily took a backseat, is a strategic fabrication, not a factual assessment. This accusation, particularly amplified under the Trump Administration, is a calculated smokescreen to justify a long-standing agenda: the overthrow of the Venezuelan government and the seizure of its vast oil and mineral resources. A closer examination of the facts reveals a country that has actively fought drug trafficking on its own terms and a US government with a clear and consistent history of destabilizing independent countries in Latin America.

N-power plant at Mithi Virdi: CRZ nod is arbitrary, without jurisdiction

By Krishnakant* A case-appeal has been filed against the order of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and others granting CRZ clearance for establishment of intake and outfall facility for proposed 6000 MWe Nuclear Power Plant at Mithi Virdi, District Bhavnagar, Gujarat by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) vide order in F 11-23 /2014-IA- III dated March 3, 2015. The case-appeal in the National Green Tribunal at Western Bench at Pune is filed by Shaktisinh Gohil, Sarpanch of Jasapara; Hajabhai Dihora of Mithi Virdi; Jagrutiben Gohil of Jasapara; Krishnakant and Rohit Prajapati activist of the Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued a notice to the MoEF&CC, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Gujarat Coastal Zone Management Authority, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and case is kept for hearing on August 20, 2015. Appeal No. 23 of 2015 (WZ) is filed, a...

1857 War of Independence... when Hindu-Muslim separatism, hatred wasn't an issue

"The Sepoy Revolt at Meerut", Illustrated London News, 1857  By Shamsul Islam* Large sections of Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs unitedly challenged the greatest imperialist power, Britain, during India’s First War of Independence which began on May 10, 1857; the day being Sunday. This extraordinary unity, naturally, unnerved the firangees and made them realize that if their rule was to continue in India, it could happen only when Hindus and Muslims, the largest two religious communities were divided on communal lines.

Ground reality: Israel would a remain Jewish state, attempt to overthrow it will be futile

By NS Venkataraman*  Now that truce has been arrived at between Israel and Hamas for a period of four days and with release of a few hostages from both sides, there is hope that truce would be further extended and the intensity of war would become significantly less. This likely “truce period” gives an opportunity for the sworn supporters and bitter opponents of Hamas as well as Israel and the observers around the world to introspect on the happenings and whether this war could have been avoided. There is prolonged debate for the last several decades as to whom the present region that has been provided to Jews after the World War II belong. View of some people is that Jews have been occupants earlier and therefore, the region should belong to Jews only. However, Christians and those belonging to Islam have also lived in this regions for long period. While Christians make no claim, the dispute is between Jews and those who claim themselves to be Palestinians. In any case...

Fate of Yamuna floodplain still hangs in "balance" despite National Green Tribunal rap on Sri Sri event

By Ashok Shrimali* While the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Thursday reportedly pulled up the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) for granting permission to hold spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's World Culture Festival on the banks of Yamuna, the chief petitioners against the high-profile event Yamuna Jiye Abhiyan has declared, the “fate of the floodplain still hangs in balance.”