Skip to main content

Inglorious end? SC dismisses Vedanta petition claiming iron ore mining rights until 2037

By Rosamma Thomas 
Supreme Court has dismissed an appeal filed by Vedanta Ltd against a Bombay High Court order of November 2019 concerning their alleged iron ore mining rights for a period of 50 years, until the year 2037. A writ petition filed by a former mine lease holder, Geetabala Parulekar, for similar rights, was also dismissed.
On July 9, 2021 the Supreme Court had dismissed a batch of review petitions filed by the Goa government and Vedanta against its judgment of February 7, 2018, cancelling a second renewal of 88 mining leases in Goa.Non-governmental organization Goa Foundation, which approached the Supreme Court in this matter, was represented by Advocates Prashant Bhushan and Pranav Sachdeva.
On October 29, 2019, Vedanta wrote to the Goa government demanding extension of their mining lease deed to enable mining operations to continue until 2037. Vedanta argued that they were entitled to such mining rights on the basis of the judgment of the SC of February 7, 2018, cancelling 88 mining lease renewals and directing that fresh leases and environment clearances be granted by the government. 
Vedanta said, it held a mining lease under the Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Act. “As you are aware with the coming into force of the MMDR Amendment Act, 2015, the tenure of all mining leases is deemed to be 50 years,” the petition states. It stated that the SC had ruled that this tenure would apply even to leases that had been granted before the Act was passed.
Vedanta claimed that its first lease was granted by the Portuguese regime, before Goa was annexed and became part of the Indian Union. “As you are aware, our leases were previously mining concessions granted by the Portuguese regime under the laws then applicable in Goa, and were abolished and declared as mining leases under the MMDR Act only by means of the Goa, Daman and Diu Mining Concessions (Abolition and Declaration as Mining Leases) Act).”
Vedanta said its first mining lease came into effect from December 20, 1961 (coinciding with the annexation of Goa into the Indian Union after action by the armed forces). 
“Based on legal opinion obtained by us, we submit that notwithstanding the expiry of our leases on November 22, 2007, in view of Section 8A(3) of the MMDR Act, our leases stand extended by operation of law till November 22, 2037, i.e 50 years from the date of grant and which in the present case would be 50 years from 1987.” The legal opinion had been obtained from Advocate Harish Salve, who served as Solicitor General of India from 1999-2002.
In July 2020, Claude Alvares, director of Goa Foundation, wrote to Prime Minister Narendra Modi pointing out that the state government had failed to recover dues from 21 lease holders. Over Rs3,400 was due, and recovery would go a long way in redressing the financial problems facing the state, he pointed out. In 2012, the SC had banned mining in Goa after illegalities were found to be rampant. After the order of 2018 quashing the 88 mining leases, mining had halted again.
In July this year Goa passed the Goa Mineral Development Bill, 2021, paving the way for the setting up of a corporation that will make allotments of mine leases.
In a press release announcing the legal victory, the Goa Foundation said, “With this development, the private mining industry and its lobbies which held sway over the sector for more than 50 years has come to an inglorious end.”

Comments

TRENDING

A comrade in culture and controversy: Yao Wenyuan’s revolutionary legacy

By Harsh Thakor*  This year marks two important anniversaries in Chinese revolutionary history—the 20th death anniversary of Yao Wenyuan, and the 50th anniversary of his seminal essay "On the Social Basis of the Lin Biao Anti-Party Clique". These milestones invite reflection on the man whose pen ignited the first sparks of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution and whose sharp ideological interventions left an indelible imprint on the political and cultural landscape of socialist China.

Two more "aadhaar-linked" Jharkhand deaths: 17 die of starvation since Sept 2017

Kaleshwar's sons Santosh and Mantosh Counterview Desk A fact-finding team of the Right to Feed Campaign, pointing towards the death of two more persons due to starvation in Jharkhand, has said that this has happened because of the absence of aadhaar, leading to “persistent lack of food at home and unavailability of any means of earning.” It has disputed the state government claims that these deaths are due to reasons other than starvation, adding, the authorities have “done nothing” to reduce the alarming state of food insecurity in the state.

Epic war against caste system is constitutional responsibility of elected government

Edited by well-known Gujarat Dalit rights leader Martin Macwan, the book, “Bhed-Bharat: An Account of Injustice and Atrocities on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-18)” (available in English and Gujarati*) is a selection of news articles on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-2018) published by Dalit Shakti Prakashan, Ahmedabad. Preface to the book, in which Macwan seeks to answer key questions on why the book is needed today: *** The thought of compiling a book on atrocities on Dalits and thus present an overall Indian picture had occurred to me a long time ago. Absence of such a comprehensive picture is a major reason for a weak social and political consciousness among Dalits as well as non-Dalits. But gradually the idea took a different form. I found that lay readers don’t understand numbers and don’t like to read well-researched articles. The best way to reach out to them was storytelling. As I started writing in Gujarati and sharing the idea of the book with my friends, it occurred to me that while...

What's behind Donald Trump's 'narco-state' accusation against Venezuela

By Manolo De Los Santos  The US government has revived its campaign to label Venezuela a "narco-state", accusing its top leadership of drug trafficking and slapping hefty bounties on their heads for capture. This campaign, which only momentarily took a backseat, is a strategic fabrication, not a factual assessment. This accusation, particularly amplified under the Trump Administration, is a calculated smokescreen to justify a long-standing agenda: the overthrow of the Venezuelan government and the seizure of its vast oil and mineral resources. A closer examination of the facts reveals a country that has actively fought drug trafficking on its own terms and a US government with a clear and consistent history of destabilizing independent countries in Latin America.

New RTI draft rules inspired by citizen-unfriendly, overtly bureaucratic approach

By Venkatesh Nayak* The Department of Personnel and Training , Government of India has invited comments on a new set of Draft Rules (available in English only) to implement The Right to Information Act, 2005 . The RTI Rules were last amended in 2012 after a long period of consultation with various stakeholders. The Government’s move to put the draft RTI Rules out for people’s comments and suggestions for change is a welcome continuation of the tradition of public consultation. Positive aspects of the Draft RTI Rules While 60-65% of the Draft RTI Rules repeat the content of the 2012 RTI Rules, some new aspects deserve appreciation as they clarify the manner of implementation of key provisions of the RTI Act. These are: Provisions for dealing with non-compliance of the orders and directives of the Central Information Commission (CIC) by public authorities- this was missing in the 2012 RTI Rules. Non-compliance is increasingly becoming a major problem- two of my non-compliance cases are...

N-power plant at Mithi Virdi: CRZ nod is arbitrary, without jurisdiction

By Krishnakant* A case-appeal has been filed against the order of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and others granting CRZ clearance for establishment of intake and outfall facility for proposed 6000 MWe Nuclear Power Plant at Mithi Virdi, District Bhavnagar, Gujarat by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) vide order in F 11-23 /2014-IA- III dated March 3, 2015. The case-appeal in the National Green Tribunal at Western Bench at Pune is filed by Shaktisinh Gohil, Sarpanch of Jasapara; Hajabhai Dihora of Mithi Virdi; Jagrutiben Gohil of Jasapara; Krishnakant and Rohit Prajapati activist of the Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued a notice to the MoEF&CC, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Gujarat Coastal Zone Management Authority, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and case is kept for hearing on August 20, 2015. Appeal No. 23 of 2015 (WZ) is filed, a...

1857 War of Independence... when Hindu-Muslim separatism, hatred wasn't an issue

"The Sepoy Revolt at Meerut", Illustrated London News, 1857  By Shamsul Islam* Large sections of Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs unitedly challenged the greatest imperialist power, Britain, during India’s First War of Independence which began on May 10, 1857; the day being Sunday. This extraordinary unity, naturally, unnerved the firangees and made them realize that if their rule was to continue in India, it could happen only when Hindus and Muslims, the largest two religious communities were divided on communal lines.

Ground reality: Israel would a remain Jewish state, attempt to overthrow it will be futile

By NS Venkataraman*  Now that truce has been arrived at between Israel and Hamas for a period of four days and with release of a few hostages from both sides, there is hope that truce would be further extended and the intensity of war would become significantly less. This likely “truce period” gives an opportunity for the sworn supporters and bitter opponents of Hamas as well as Israel and the observers around the world to introspect on the happenings and whether this war could have been avoided. There is prolonged debate for the last several decades as to whom the present region that has been provided to Jews after the World War II belong. View of some people is that Jews have been occupants earlier and therefore, the region should belong to Jews only. However, Christians and those belonging to Islam have also lived in this regions for long period. While Christians make no claim, the dispute is between Jews and those who claim themselves to be Palestinians. In any case...

Fate of Yamuna floodplain still hangs in "balance" despite National Green Tribunal rap on Sri Sri event

By Ashok Shrimali* While the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Thursday reportedly pulled up the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) for granting permission to hold spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's World Culture Festival on the banks of Yamuna, the chief petitioners against the high-profile event Yamuna Jiye Abhiyan has declared, the “fate of the floodplain still hangs in balance.”