Skip to main content

Cases "prompting" judges' rebellion: Loya's death, 2G, aadhaar, Chhattisgarh sexual violence, medical college graft

By A Representative
Even as supporting the four senior-most judges' open defiance of Chief Justice of India (CJI) Dipak Misra, India's well-known legal rights NGO, Campaign for Judicial Accountability and Reforms (CJAR), has pointed towards seven instances of what they call "abuse of power" by the CJI which is "destroying the image of the Supreme Court and subverting the course of justice."
According to CJAR, two of the seven cases relate to writ petitions by CJAR and senior advocate Kamini Jaiswal regarding the need to probe into allegations mentioned in a CBI FIR regarding conspiracy to bribe in order to obtain a favourable judgment in the case of a medical college, pending before the apex court.
According to CJAR, on November 8, 2017, after the CJAR writ petition was numbered and the case was mentioned for urgent listing, Justice J Chelameswar’s bench ordered it to be listed before him on November 10. However, during lunch, CJAR’s counsel was informed that in the light of an order by the Chief Justice this case is assigned to another bench and therefore would be coming up on Friday not before Court 2 but before the other bench.
Justice Dipak Misra
"On November 10, 2017, the matter was heard by a bench headed by Justice Sikri. The same afternoon the matter was suddenly heard by a Constitution bench headed by CJI and junior judges handpicked by him. Then it was referred to a bench headed by Justice RK Agarwal. On December 1, the CJAR writ petition was dismissed by imposing a cost of Rs 25 lakh on the petitioner", says CJAR.
As for Jaiswal's petiton, CJAR says, the bench of Justices Chelameswar and Nazeer passed an order directing that, in view of the importance and sensitivity of the matter, the matter would be listed for November 13, before a bench of the five senior most Supreme Court judges.
"However, when the CJAR matter was heard on the November 10 by the Constitution bench, it rendered void the order passed by Justice Chelameswar, even though the said matter was not before the court. The matter was then listed on December 13 before a bench presided by Justice RK Agarwal, which by judgement dated November 14, 2017, dismissed the writ petition", notes CJAR.
The third case is the writ petition filed the NGO, Common Cause, challenging the appointment of Special Director, CBI. It was mentioned before Justice Chelameswar, who directed it to be listed before a bench consisting of Justices Gogoi and Navin Sinha.
Suneeta Pottam
"Justice Navin Sinha recused himself. The matter was next listed on November 17, 2017 before a bench presided by Justice RK Aggarwal, although on that very day Justice Ranjan Gogoi was sitting not with Justice Navin Sinha but with Justices RF Nariman and Sanjay Kishan Kaul. The matter ought to have been placed before that bench", CJAR believes.
The fourth case is the writ petition by the Centre for PIL, seeking court monitored investigation into the 2G scam. Earlier, the matter was being heard by CJI Khehar. Mentioned before Court 2 and order was passed by Court 2; on the next date, in supplementary list, the matter was deleted from Court 2 and listed before CJI Misra.
"CJI had to recuse since he had dismissed the original petition in Delhi High Court. So matter got shifted to bench of Justices Arun Mishra and L Nageshwar Rao. Justice Rao recused since he had earlier appeared in the matter. Then the matter got listed before a bench of Justice Arun Mishra, of which Justice Rao is not a member", says CJAR.
The fifth case, says CJAR, is the writ petition filed by tribal activist Suneeta Pottam seeking transfer of a case pending before the Chhattisgarh Hifh Court to the Supreme Court, as a similar matter (Nandini Sundar v. State of Chhattisgarh, WPC 250/2007) is pending before the apex court. It related to sexual violence and torture of tribal women in Chhattisgarh by police and administration.
"Both Nandini Sundar matter and Suneeta Pottam were being heard by Justice Lokur who also issued notice in Suneeta Pottam. However, the matter has now been transferred to Chief Justice Dipak Misra’s court", says CJAR.
Late justice Loya
The sixth case is a writ petition filed by Justice KS Puttaswamy (Retd) on aadhaar against the Government of India. On August 11, 2015, a bench comprising of Justices Chelameswar, Bobde and Nagappan directed that the matter be referred to a larger bench. Chief Justice Khehar reconstituted the bench on July 18, 2017 which comprised of himself and Justices Chelameswar, Bobde, Chandrachud and Nazeer, which then referred the question whether privacy is a fundamental right to a larger bench of nine judges.
"The privacy matter was decided on August 24, 2017 and at least one of the judges, Justice Nariman, at the end of his judgment, directed that the matters be sent back for adjudication to the original bench of three judges in light of the judgment. The bench constituted to hear the aadhaar matter now comprises of Chief Justice Misra and Justices Sikri, Khanwilkar, Chandrachud and Bhushan to the exclusion of the other judges who were hearing the matter earlier", CJAR says.
And the last one relates to a case seeking an independent probe into the death of special CBI judge BH Loya, who was hearing the Sohrabuddin Sheikh encounter case. "On January 11, 2018, bench of Chief Justice Mishra and Justices Khanwilkar and Chandrachud heard the petition and ordered that it be listed on January 12, 2018. The matter was heard on January 12, 2018 by a Bench headed by Justices Arun Mishra and M Shantanagoudar", says CJAR.

Comments

Uma Sheth said…
This is an unfortunate scenario and the last thing needed at a time when there are so many unpleasant controversies facing the nation. We can only hope that the judiciary comes out stronger after passing through this test of fire and that the legislature stays out of it completely.

TRENDING

A comrade in culture and controversy: Yao Wenyuan’s revolutionary legacy

By Harsh Thakor*  This year marks two important anniversaries in Chinese revolutionary history—the 20th death anniversary of Yao Wenyuan, and the 50th anniversary of his seminal essay "On the Social Basis of the Lin Biao Anti-Party Clique". These milestones invite reflection on the man whose pen ignited the first sparks of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution and whose sharp ideological interventions left an indelible imprint on the political and cultural landscape of socialist China.

Two more "aadhaar-linked" Jharkhand deaths: 17 die of starvation since Sept 2017

Kaleshwar's sons Santosh and Mantosh Counterview Desk A fact-finding team of the Right to Feed Campaign, pointing towards the death of two more persons due to starvation in Jharkhand, has said that this has happened because of the absence of aadhaar, leading to “persistent lack of food at home and unavailability of any means of earning.” It has disputed the state government claims that these deaths are due to reasons other than starvation, adding, the authorities have “done nothing” to reduce the alarming state of food insecurity in the state.

Epic war against caste system is constitutional responsibility of elected government

Edited by well-known Gujarat Dalit rights leader Martin Macwan, the book, “Bhed-Bharat: An Account of Injustice and Atrocities on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-18)” (available in English and Gujarati*) is a selection of news articles on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-2018) published by Dalit Shakti Prakashan, Ahmedabad. Preface to the book, in which Macwan seeks to answer key questions on why the book is needed today: *** The thought of compiling a book on atrocities on Dalits and thus present an overall Indian picture had occurred to me a long time ago. Absence of such a comprehensive picture is a major reason for a weak social and political consciousness among Dalits as well as non-Dalits. But gradually the idea took a different form. I found that lay readers don’t understand numbers and don’t like to read well-researched articles. The best way to reach out to them was storytelling. As I started writing in Gujarati and sharing the idea of the book with my friends, it occurred to me that while...

What's behind Donald Trump's 'narco-state' accusation against Venezuela

By Manolo De Los Santos  The US government has revived its campaign to label Venezuela a "narco-state", accusing its top leadership of drug trafficking and slapping hefty bounties on their heads for capture. This campaign, which only momentarily took a backseat, is a strategic fabrication, not a factual assessment. This accusation, particularly amplified under the Trump Administration, is a calculated smokescreen to justify a long-standing agenda: the overthrow of the Venezuelan government and the seizure of its vast oil and mineral resources. A closer examination of the facts reveals a country that has actively fought drug trafficking on its own terms and a US government with a clear and consistent history of destabilizing independent countries in Latin America.

New RTI draft rules inspired by citizen-unfriendly, overtly bureaucratic approach

By Venkatesh Nayak* The Department of Personnel and Training , Government of India has invited comments on a new set of Draft Rules (available in English only) to implement The Right to Information Act, 2005 . The RTI Rules were last amended in 2012 after a long period of consultation with various stakeholders. The Government’s move to put the draft RTI Rules out for people’s comments and suggestions for change is a welcome continuation of the tradition of public consultation. Positive aspects of the Draft RTI Rules While 60-65% of the Draft RTI Rules repeat the content of the 2012 RTI Rules, some new aspects deserve appreciation as they clarify the manner of implementation of key provisions of the RTI Act. These are: Provisions for dealing with non-compliance of the orders and directives of the Central Information Commission (CIC) by public authorities- this was missing in the 2012 RTI Rules. Non-compliance is increasingly becoming a major problem- two of my non-compliance cases are...

N-power plant at Mithi Virdi: CRZ nod is arbitrary, without jurisdiction

By Krishnakant* A case-appeal has been filed against the order of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and others granting CRZ clearance for establishment of intake and outfall facility for proposed 6000 MWe Nuclear Power Plant at Mithi Virdi, District Bhavnagar, Gujarat by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) vide order in F 11-23 /2014-IA- III dated March 3, 2015. The case-appeal in the National Green Tribunal at Western Bench at Pune is filed by Shaktisinh Gohil, Sarpanch of Jasapara; Hajabhai Dihora of Mithi Virdi; Jagrutiben Gohil of Jasapara; Krishnakant and Rohit Prajapati activist of the Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued a notice to the MoEF&CC, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Gujarat Coastal Zone Management Authority, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and case is kept for hearing on August 20, 2015. Appeal No. 23 of 2015 (WZ) is filed, a...

1857 War of Independence... when Hindu-Muslim separatism, hatred wasn't an issue

"The Sepoy Revolt at Meerut", Illustrated London News, 1857  By Shamsul Islam* Large sections of Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs unitedly challenged the greatest imperialist power, Britain, during India’s First War of Independence which began on May 10, 1857; the day being Sunday. This extraordinary unity, naturally, unnerved the firangees and made them realize that if their rule was to continue in India, it could happen only when Hindus and Muslims, the largest two religious communities were divided on communal lines.

Ground reality: Israel would a remain Jewish state, attempt to overthrow it will be futile

By NS Venkataraman*  Now that truce has been arrived at between Israel and Hamas for a period of four days and with release of a few hostages from both sides, there is hope that truce would be further extended and the intensity of war would become significantly less. This likely “truce period” gives an opportunity for the sworn supporters and bitter opponents of Hamas as well as Israel and the observers around the world to introspect on the happenings and whether this war could have been avoided. There is prolonged debate for the last several decades as to whom the present region that has been provided to Jews after the World War II belong. View of some people is that Jews have been occupants earlier and therefore, the region should belong to Jews only. However, Christians and those belonging to Islam have also lived in this regions for long period. While Christians make no claim, the dispute is between Jews and those who claim themselves to be Palestinians. In any case...

Fate of Yamuna floodplain still hangs in "balance" despite National Green Tribunal rap on Sri Sri event

By Ashok Shrimali* While the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Thursday reportedly pulled up the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) for granting permission to hold spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's World Culture Festival on the banks of Yamuna, the chief petitioners against the high-profile event Yamuna Jiye Abhiyan has declared, the “fate of the floodplain still hangs in balance.”