Skip to main content

Barbaric, inhuman attack on Odisha villagers to implement JSW project: NGO networks

Counterview Desk 

A “solidarity statement" issued by three top civil society networks, Friends of the Earth India (FoE India), Delhi Solidarity Group (DSG) and the National Alliance of People’s Movements (NAPM), has asked the Odisha chief minister to ensure that the “inhumane barbaric attack on the villagers of Dhinkia, Odisha” in order to implement a corporate project.
Asking the Naveen Patnaik government to “end resource loot, the statement insisted, that all activists and villagers arrested for protesting against the the JSW Project should be freed and cases against them withdrawn.

Text:

We strongly condemn the inhumane barbaric attack by the Odisha police on the residents of Dhinkia village. As seen in videos and reports emerging from the ground, many villagers including women and children who were protecting their betel fields against the forceful destruction by the administration were injured in the police crackdown. It is also learnt that activists including Narendra Mohanty, Debendra Swain and some others have been arrested.
As per reports, on Friday January 14, 2022, around 1:30 pm the situation escalated between the villagers and the Police force as the latter started destroying the betel fields of the villagers. Police said that without consent no betel vine was destroyed but today police dismantled many betel vines of protesters after the attack.
The demolition was arbitrary and part of the administration’s ploy to expedite land acquisition for the JSW project. The villagers have constantly been opposing the proposed JSW Utkal’s Steel, Cement and other projects in Dhinkia village in Odisha's Jagatsinghpur district.
On December 20 last year the tension prevailed in the village following a violent police action by the police on the villagers. The people of Dhinkia had opposed the administration's move to demarcate the boundary of the village and the arrests of two residents who were leading the agitation against the JSW project.
This is the same site where POSCO had earlier come up with a mega steel project. But, after POSCO’s exit from Dhinkia village, the Government of Odisha has given the proposed site to JSW Utkal Steel’s for setting up of 13.2 MTPA steel plant, 10 MTPA cement and 900 MW captive power plant at an estimated cost of Rs 65,000 crore at Jagatsinghpur near Paradip Port, Odisha.
The villagers have opposed the POSCO project then and fought a decade long battle for their lives and livelihood and now yet again they are resisting the JSW Steel’s proposed project in the area as they are all dependent on betel farms, paddy and cashew cultivation, fishing and Minor Forest Produces for their means of support.
For the said project around 3000 acres of land is required. Odisha’s Industrial Infrastructure Development Corporation (IDCO) had acquired 2,700 acres in the villages under Nuagaon, Gadakujanga and Dhinkia Gram Panchayats of the district for POSCO, most of which would pass on to JSW.
Many villagers including women and children who were protecting their betel fields against forceful destruction were injured in police crackdown
The administration now wants to acquire 748 acres more for the new project, which comes under Dhinkia Gram Panchayat.
"The dhan-pan-meen (paddy, betel vines and fish) that we grow here has sustained us for generations. We will not let the project come up at any cost,” said one of the residents of the village.
The women in Dhinkia have accused the administration of intimidating people to make them agree to dismantle their betel vines and clear the way for the project. They allege the police have slapped several cases against the villagers as the administration has gone about demarcating and dismantling betel vines.
There is strong resistance by activists and villagers of Polang, Bayanala Kandha, Gobindpur, Dhinkia, Naugaon, Jatadhara villages that are directly affected by this project. The project will not only destroy the traditional livelihood of the people but will also deprive them from natural resources.
This will also bring in a serious impact on the environment (air, water, noise and land environment), socio-economic (loss of local livelihood, loss of different plantation and generational transfer of traditional knowledge), ecology, health and pollution.
At a time when the third wave of Covid is hitting us the village administration and the government are determined to clear some of these corporate projects without any consultation with the affected families and villagers who will be displaced of their land and traditional professions.
We call upon the Chief Minister of Odisha, Naveen Patnaik to stop this barbaric police attack on villagers, protect their right to life and livelihood and not proceed with the JSW Project.
We also demand that all the arrested activists and villagers be released immediately and all cases foisted against them be dropped.

Comments

TRENDING

A comrade in culture and controversy: Yao Wenyuan’s revolutionary legacy

By Harsh Thakor*  This year marks two important anniversaries in Chinese revolutionary history—the 20th death anniversary of Yao Wenyuan, and the 50th anniversary of his seminal essay "On the Social Basis of the Lin Biao Anti-Party Clique". These milestones invite reflection on the man whose pen ignited the first sparks of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution and whose sharp ideological interventions left an indelible imprint on the political and cultural landscape of socialist China.

Two more "aadhaar-linked" Jharkhand deaths: 17 die of starvation since Sept 2017

Kaleshwar's sons Santosh and Mantosh Counterview Desk A fact-finding team of the Right to Feed Campaign, pointing towards the death of two more persons due to starvation in Jharkhand, has said that this has happened because of the absence of aadhaar, leading to “persistent lack of food at home and unavailability of any means of earning.” It has disputed the state government claims that these deaths are due to reasons other than starvation, adding, the authorities have “done nothing” to reduce the alarming state of food insecurity in the state.

Epic war against caste system is constitutional responsibility of elected government

Edited by well-known Gujarat Dalit rights leader Martin Macwan, the book, “Bhed-Bharat: An Account of Injustice and Atrocities on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-18)” (available in English and Gujarati*) is a selection of news articles on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-2018) published by Dalit Shakti Prakashan, Ahmedabad. Preface to the book, in which Macwan seeks to answer key questions on why the book is needed today: *** The thought of compiling a book on atrocities on Dalits and thus present an overall Indian picture had occurred to me a long time ago. Absence of such a comprehensive picture is a major reason for a weak social and political consciousness among Dalits as well as non-Dalits. But gradually the idea took a different form. I found that lay readers don’t understand numbers and don’t like to read well-researched articles. The best way to reach out to them was storytelling. As I started writing in Gujarati and sharing the idea of the book with my friends, it occurred to me that while...

What's behind Donald Trump's 'narco-state' accusation against Venezuela

By Manolo De Los Santos  The US government has revived its campaign to label Venezuela a "narco-state", accusing its top leadership of drug trafficking and slapping hefty bounties on their heads for capture. This campaign, which only momentarily took a backseat, is a strategic fabrication, not a factual assessment. This accusation, particularly amplified under the Trump Administration, is a calculated smokescreen to justify a long-standing agenda: the overthrow of the Venezuelan government and the seizure of its vast oil and mineral resources. A closer examination of the facts reveals a country that has actively fought drug trafficking on its own terms and a US government with a clear and consistent history of destabilizing independent countries in Latin America.

New RTI draft rules inspired by citizen-unfriendly, overtly bureaucratic approach

By Venkatesh Nayak* The Department of Personnel and Training , Government of India has invited comments on a new set of Draft Rules (available in English only) to implement The Right to Information Act, 2005 . The RTI Rules were last amended in 2012 after a long period of consultation with various stakeholders. The Government’s move to put the draft RTI Rules out for people’s comments and suggestions for change is a welcome continuation of the tradition of public consultation. Positive aspects of the Draft RTI Rules While 60-65% of the Draft RTI Rules repeat the content of the 2012 RTI Rules, some new aspects deserve appreciation as they clarify the manner of implementation of key provisions of the RTI Act. These are: Provisions for dealing with non-compliance of the orders and directives of the Central Information Commission (CIC) by public authorities- this was missing in the 2012 RTI Rules. Non-compliance is increasingly becoming a major problem- two of my non-compliance cases are...

N-power plant at Mithi Virdi: CRZ nod is arbitrary, without jurisdiction

By Krishnakant* A case-appeal has been filed against the order of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and others granting CRZ clearance for establishment of intake and outfall facility for proposed 6000 MWe Nuclear Power Plant at Mithi Virdi, District Bhavnagar, Gujarat by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) vide order in F 11-23 /2014-IA- III dated March 3, 2015. The case-appeal in the National Green Tribunal at Western Bench at Pune is filed by Shaktisinh Gohil, Sarpanch of Jasapara; Hajabhai Dihora of Mithi Virdi; Jagrutiben Gohil of Jasapara; Krishnakant and Rohit Prajapati activist of the Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued a notice to the MoEF&CC, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Gujarat Coastal Zone Management Authority, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and case is kept for hearing on August 20, 2015. Appeal No. 23 of 2015 (WZ) is filed, a...

1857 War of Independence... when Hindu-Muslim separatism, hatred wasn't an issue

"The Sepoy Revolt at Meerut", Illustrated London News, 1857  By Shamsul Islam* Large sections of Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs unitedly challenged the greatest imperialist power, Britain, during India’s First War of Independence which began on May 10, 1857; the day being Sunday. This extraordinary unity, naturally, unnerved the firangees and made them realize that if their rule was to continue in India, it could happen only when Hindus and Muslims, the largest two religious communities were divided on communal lines.

Ground reality: Israel would a remain Jewish state, attempt to overthrow it will be futile

By NS Venkataraman*  Now that truce has been arrived at between Israel and Hamas for a period of four days and with release of a few hostages from both sides, there is hope that truce would be further extended and the intensity of war would become significantly less. This likely “truce period” gives an opportunity for the sworn supporters and bitter opponents of Hamas as well as Israel and the observers around the world to introspect on the happenings and whether this war could have been avoided. There is prolonged debate for the last several decades as to whom the present region that has been provided to Jews after the World War II belong. View of some people is that Jews have been occupants earlier and therefore, the region should belong to Jews only. However, Christians and those belonging to Islam have also lived in this regions for long period. While Christians make no claim, the dispute is between Jews and those who claim themselves to be Palestinians. In any case...

Fate of Yamuna floodplain still hangs in "balance" despite National Green Tribunal rap on Sri Sri event

By Ashok Shrimali* While the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Thursday reportedly pulled up the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) for granting permission to hold spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's World Culture Festival on the banks of Yamuna, the chief petitioners against the high-profile event Yamuna Jiye Abhiyan has declared, the “fate of the floodplain still hangs in balance.”