Skip to main content

Modi assured Trump last year India would reduce tariffs on US goods 'substantially'

By Rajiv Shah
Even as the United States declared it was withdrawing its “preferential trade status” accorded to India, facts suggest, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had “assured” US president Donald Trump last year he would work on going soft on “very high tariffs” imposed on American products coming to India. Addressing a White House media conference on October 1, 2018, Trump had said, I had “spoken to Prime Minister Modi, and he is going to reduce them (tariffs) quite substantially.”
Talking to media, Trump – who announced a new trade deal with neighbouring Mexico and Canada, which abrogated the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) with the two countries as it allegedly was against US interests leading a loss of billions of dollars – had identified India as one of the countries with whom a new trade deal was under negotiation.
Calling India “tariff king” imposing up to 100 per cent duty on certain goods imported from the US, and expecting a positive response from India, Trump, however, had opined that he was sure Modi would oblige him and reduce the tariff .“My relationship with India is great, with Prime Minister Modi is great, and they are going to start doing a lot. They have already called us to make a deal, we didn't even call them”, the US president had said.
At the media briefing, which lasted for more than one hour, Trump had further said, “India, which is the tariff king… they called us, and they say they want to start negotiations immediately”. The reason he had advanced was, India wanted to keep him happy. “They have to keep us happy, because they understand, they have been wise to keep us happy”, he had added.
Trump had continued, “India charges tariffs of 100 per cent. And if we want to put a tariff of 25 per cent, people from Congress will call, but that's not free trade”, adding, “India charges tremendous tariffs. When we send Harley Davidsons motorcycles, other things to India, they charge very, very high tariffs. And I have spoken to Prime Minister Modi, and he is going to reduce them quite substantially. Nobody ever spoke to these people. He said nobody ever spoke to me.”
Blaming past presidents of his country for this, Trump had said, “I am not trying to be kind of overly dramatic. We have had presidents of the United States and trade representatives; they never spoke to India… They charge us whatever they want… India has a very, very high tariff, they really charge tremendously high tariffs.”
Specifically referring to the Harley Davidson motorcycles, Trump had said, “So you send a motorcycle to India, it's 100 per cent tariff, now that's so high that it is like a barrier, in other words, who is going to buy it? It costs you so much. Now they have already reduced it substantially and it is still too high.”
Trump had ended by stating, “My relationship with India is great, with Prime Minister Modi is great, and they are going to start doing a lot. They have already called us to make a deal, we didn't even call them, they called us to make a deal, which is like shocking to people.”

Options before India

While it is not known if Modi would now negotiate the US following the Trump administration ending India’s classification as a beneficiary developing nation under the Generalised System of Preference (GSP) trade programme, indications are, Indian industry would suffer substantially because of the latest development. US said it took the measure to end India GPS status after “ascertaining” that India has not assured it would provide “fair” and “reasonable” access to its markets.
GPS is the largest and oldest US trade preference programme designed to encourage developing countries by allowing duty-free entry for thousands of products from selected beneficiary nations. Ending India’s beneficiary status, Trump said, “I have determined that India has not assured the US that it will provide equitable and reasonable access to its markets. Accordingly, it is appropriate to terminate India’s designation as a beneficiary developing country effective June 5, 2019.”
The US administration had put India on a 60-day notice period, which ended on May 3. Under the GSP programme, nearly 2,000 products, including auto components and textile materials, can enter the US duty-free. India was the largest beneficiary of the programme in 2017 with $ 5.7 billion in imports to the US given duty-free status.
Meanwhile, in what is being termed as a tame response following the Trump decision to withdraw the preferential status, the Modi government said it would “continue to seek to build strong economic ties with US”. Describing the US announcement "unfortunate", a statement from the Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry said, "India, like the US and other nations shall always uphold its national interest in these matters."

Comments

Rashid Akhtar said…
Modi got delayed due busy in manipulation of elections to win.
Now he will reduce the taxes.
He is back on the destruction of India’s economy and the country in general. 🙏🏼
veerar said…
India is supporting the US Dollar for decades by its anti-Gold Policy ,which makes the Rupee weaker and the Nation poorer.It makes its Trades loss-making and its imports costly[India is essentially an importing nation].
Hence India should be pro-Gold and ask the 312 MT Gold with BoE and BIS to be returned.BoE and BIS swap Gold for suppressing its price thus keeping the US Dollar strong.
PP said…
Sab milibhagat hai. They will waive when he goes to US. Media management.

TRENDING

A comrade in culture and controversy: Yao Wenyuan’s revolutionary legacy

By Harsh Thakor*  This year marks two important anniversaries in Chinese revolutionary history—the 20th death anniversary of Yao Wenyuan, and the 50th anniversary of his seminal essay "On the Social Basis of the Lin Biao Anti-Party Clique". These milestones invite reflection on the man whose pen ignited the first sparks of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution and whose sharp ideological interventions left an indelible imprint on the political and cultural landscape of socialist China.

Two more "aadhaar-linked" Jharkhand deaths: 17 die of starvation since Sept 2017

Kaleshwar's sons Santosh and Mantosh Counterview Desk A fact-finding team of the Right to Feed Campaign, pointing towards the death of two more persons due to starvation in Jharkhand, has said that this has happened because of the absence of aadhaar, leading to “persistent lack of food at home and unavailability of any means of earning.” It has disputed the state government claims that these deaths are due to reasons other than starvation, adding, the authorities have “done nothing” to reduce the alarming state of food insecurity in the state.

Epic war against caste system is constitutional responsibility of elected government

Edited by well-known Gujarat Dalit rights leader Martin Macwan, the book, “Bhed-Bharat: An Account of Injustice and Atrocities on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-18)” (available in English and Gujarati*) is a selection of news articles on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-2018) published by Dalit Shakti Prakashan, Ahmedabad. Preface to the book, in which Macwan seeks to answer key questions on why the book is needed today: *** The thought of compiling a book on atrocities on Dalits and thus present an overall Indian picture had occurred to me a long time ago. Absence of such a comprehensive picture is a major reason for a weak social and political consciousness among Dalits as well as non-Dalits. But gradually the idea took a different form. I found that lay readers don’t understand numbers and don’t like to read well-researched articles. The best way to reach out to them was storytelling. As I started writing in Gujarati and sharing the idea of the book with my friends, it occurred to me that while...

What's behind Donald Trump's 'narco-state' accusation against Venezuela

By Manolo De Los Santos  The US government has revived its campaign to label Venezuela a "narco-state", accusing its top leadership of drug trafficking and slapping hefty bounties on their heads for capture. This campaign, which only momentarily took a backseat, is a strategic fabrication, not a factual assessment. This accusation, particularly amplified under the Trump Administration, is a calculated smokescreen to justify a long-standing agenda: the overthrow of the Venezuelan government and the seizure of its vast oil and mineral resources. A closer examination of the facts reveals a country that has actively fought drug trafficking on its own terms and a US government with a clear and consistent history of destabilizing independent countries in Latin America.

New RTI draft rules inspired by citizen-unfriendly, overtly bureaucratic approach

By Venkatesh Nayak* The Department of Personnel and Training , Government of India has invited comments on a new set of Draft Rules (available in English only) to implement The Right to Information Act, 2005 . The RTI Rules were last amended in 2012 after a long period of consultation with various stakeholders. The Government’s move to put the draft RTI Rules out for people’s comments and suggestions for change is a welcome continuation of the tradition of public consultation. Positive aspects of the Draft RTI Rules While 60-65% of the Draft RTI Rules repeat the content of the 2012 RTI Rules, some new aspects deserve appreciation as they clarify the manner of implementation of key provisions of the RTI Act. These are: Provisions for dealing with non-compliance of the orders and directives of the Central Information Commission (CIC) by public authorities- this was missing in the 2012 RTI Rules. Non-compliance is increasingly becoming a major problem- two of my non-compliance cases are...

N-power plant at Mithi Virdi: CRZ nod is arbitrary, without jurisdiction

By Krishnakant* A case-appeal has been filed against the order of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and others granting CRZ clearance for establishment of intake and outfall facility for proposed 6000 MWe Nuclear Power Plant at Mithi Virdi, District Bhavnagar, Gujarat by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) vide order in F 11-23 /2014-IA- III dated March 3, 2015. The case-appeal in the National Green Tribunal at Western Bench at Pune is filed by Shaktisinh Gohil, Sarpanch of Jasapara; Hajabhai Dihora of Mithi Virdi; Jagrutiben Gohil of Jasapara; Krishnakant and Rohit Prajapati activist of the Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued a notice to the MoEF&CC, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Gujarat Coastal Zone Management Authority, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and case is kept for hearing on August 20, 2015. Appeal No. 23 of 2015 (WZ) is filed, a...

1857 War of Independence... when Hindu-Muslim separatism, hatred wasn't an issue

"The Sepoy Revolt at Meerut", Illustrated London News, 1857  By Shamsul Islam* Large sections of Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs unitedly challenged the greatest imperialist power, Britain, during India’s First War of Independence which began on May 10, 1857; the day being Sunday. This extraordinary unity, naturally, unnerved the firangees and made them realize that if their rule was to continue in India, it could happen only when Hindus and Muslims, the largest two religious communities were divided on communal lines.

Ground reality: Israel would a remain Jewish state, attempt to overthrow it will be futile

By NS Venkataraman*  Now that truce has been arrived at between Israel and Hamas for a period of four days and with release of a few hostages from both sides, there is hope that truce would be further extended and the intensity of war would become significantly less. This likely “truce period” gives an opportunity for the sworn supporters and bitter opponents of Hamas as well as Israel and the observers around the world to introspect on the happenings and whether this war could have been avoided. There is prolonged debate for the last several decades as to whom the present region that has been provided to Jews after the World War II belong. View of some people is that Jews have been occupants earlier and therefore, the region should belong to Jews only. However, Christians and those belonging to Islam have also lived in this regions for long period. While Christians make no claim, the dispute is between Jews and those who claim themselves to be Palestinians. In any case...

Fate of Yamuna floodplain still hangs in "balance" despite National Green Tribunal rap on Sri Sri event

By Ashok Shrimali* While the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Thursday reportedly pulled up the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) for granting permission to hold spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's World Culture Festival on the banks of Yamuna, the chief petitioners against the high-profile event Yamuna Jiye Abhiyan has declared, the “fate of the floodplain still hangs in balance.”