Skip to main content

Fresh FIR? Rajasthan govt isn't enquiring into 'false' lynching deaths since 2015: PUCL

Ashok Gehlot
Counterview Desk
People's Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL), one of India's top human rights organizations, taking strong exception to "false FIRs" and "fabricated charge-sheets" against late Pehlu Khan and all other dairy farmers booked for cow smuggling, has said latest FIRs show, the present government, led by senior Congress leader Ashok Gehlot, has still not bothered to enquire into false cases or in any of the lynchings that took place since 2015.
PUCL president Kavita Srivastava and general secretary Anant Bhatnagar, in a signed statement, have said that in all there were 7 deaths due to lynchings in Rajasthan between 2015 and 2018, with 5 taking place only in 2017, adding, "What has happened is shameful as dairy farmers have to now face a trial for false cases, when they in reality are struggling to making ends meet."
PUCL statement comes close on the heels of Gehlot denying Pehlu Khan,  lynched in 2017, has been charge-sheets.

Text:

The PUCL condemns the Government of Rajasthan for filing chargesheets in the fabricated case against Pehlu Khan and others (FIR number 252/2017 & 253/2017). The PUCL has maintained from day one that this was a motivated case, the Gau Rakshaks and the police authorities have had a pattern in these murders, where the victim and survivors of that violence are criminalised and defamed by the killers as cow smugglers.
The two vehicles that were stopped on the evening of 1 April, 2017 had three dairy farmers, Pehlu Khan, Rafiq and Azmat and Pehlu’s sons Irshad, Arif. Pehlu Khan had bought two cows for Rs. 45,000 and Azmat had purchased two cattle for Rs 75,000. They were also carrying the ‘Ravanna’ (acknowledgment receipt) of the Jaipur Nagar Nigam.
The PUCL has always maintained that they were genuine dairy farmers, and that their whole region is dependent on the milk trade. They bought the milch cows with the intent of selling milk. The PUCL has also insisted that the police take cognizance of their past milk sales records. It is clear that the deadly attack on them was because they were Muslims.
Pehlu Khan during the lynching incident
It may be recalled that on the 1st of April, Pehlu Khan was seriously injured, with 12 broken ribs, punctured lungs and serious spinal cord injuries, which resulted in his death on the 3rd of April. Twenty five year old Azmat Khan was also seriously injured, but he was hardly given any treatment. Azmat had to go to All-India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in New Delhi for his treatment, where the doctors advised him complete bed rest.
Rafiq, the 3rd dairy farmer, had two of his ribs and nose broken in the assault. Even he didn’t receive treatment. Rafiq said that he had gone to buy a buffalo from the fair, but since he did not have enough money, he hitched a lift back to the village with Pehlu Khan, when they were attacked.
He said that the goons robbed him of Rs 25,000, while they became helpless witnesses to the brutal attack on Pehlu Khan. He said that all laws had been followed in purchasing and transferring the cows, and the vehicles transporting these could be measured as proof.
The PUCL had in 2017 insisted that the rule of law should prevail, no matter which government was in power. The police and the state agencies are bound by the law and cannot be prejudicial in investigating the case.
It is the biases of the police and the powers that be that the charge sheet was filed in FIR numbers 252 and 253 /2019, Behror Thana, on the 30th of December, 2018 in the Behror magisterial court and taken cognizance of on May 29, 2019.
It shows, that the present government, did not even bother to enquire into these false cases or present a strong prosecution in the FIR number 255/2019, or in any of the lynchings that took place since 2015. There were 7 deaths due to lynchings in Rajasthan between 2015 and 2018, with 5 taking place only in 2017.
What has happened is shameful as dairy farmers have to now face a trial for false cases, when they in reality are struggling to making ends meet. The PUCL demands that:
  • The Government of Rajasthan must get the prosecution to move an application and withdraw the chargesheet u/s 5, 8, 9 of the Rajasthan bovine law for alleged smuggling and committing cruelty against the cows. 
  • The closure of not just the above two FIRs but also FIR numbers 254/2017 and 256/ 2017 and 257/ 2017, Behror Thana, which were against 11 other dairy farmers, who were also caught by the ‘cow protectors’ at Behror that day, while transporting cows from the same Hatwara at Ramgarh in Jaipur district. Not only were their cows too taken but also sent to jail. These 11 people were from close to Nuh too.
  • The cows be handed back to the farmers. The cattle were sent to a private gaushala where they still remain, thus depriving the farmers of legitimate income. 
  • The government gives monetary compensation to the above people as per Supreme Court guidelines, which the government of Rajasthan notified in July 2018.

Comments

TRENDING

A comrade in culture and controversy: Yao Wenyuan’s revolutionary legacy

By Harsh Thakor*  This year marks two important anniversaries in Chinese revolutionary history—the 20th death anniversary of Yao Wenyuan, and the 50th anniversary of his seminal essay "On the Social Basis of the Lin Biao Anti-Party Clique". These milestones invite reflection on the man whose pen ignited the first sparks of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution and whose sharp ideological interventions left an indelible imprint on the political and cultural landscape of socialist China.

Two more "aadhaar-linked" Jharkhand deaths: 17 die of starvation since Sept 2017

Kaleshwar's sons Santosh and Mantosh Counterview Desk A fact-finding team of the Right to Feed Campaign, pointing towards the death of two more persons due to starvation in Jharkhand, has said that this has happened because of the absence of aadhaar, leading to “persistent lack of food at home and unavailability of any means of earning.” It has disputed the state government claims that these deaths are due to reasons other than starvation, adding, the authorities have “done nothing” to reduce the alarming state of food insecurity in the state.

What's behind Donald Trump's 'narco-state' accusation against Venezuela

By Manolo De Los Santos  The US government has revived its campaign to label Venezuela a "narco-state", accusing its top leadership of drug trafficking and slapping hefty bounties on their heads for capture. This campaign, which only momentarily took a backseat, is a strategic fabrication, not a factual assessment. This accusation, particularly amplified under the Trump Administration, is a calculated smokescreen to justify a long-standing agenda: the overthrow of the Venezuelan government and the seizure of its vast oil and mineral resources. A closer examination of the facts reveals a country that has actively fought drug trafficking on its own terms and a US government with a clear and consistent history of destabilizing independent countries in Latin America.

Epic war against caste system is constitutional responsibility of elected government

Edited by well-known Gujarat Dalit rights leader Martin Macwan, the book, “Bhed-Bharat: An Account of Injustice and Atrocities on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-18)” (available in English and Gujarati*) is a selection of news articles on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-2018) published by Dalit Shakti Prakashan, Ahmedabad. Preface to the book, in which Macwan seeks to answer key questions on why the book is needed today: *** The thought of compiling a book on atrocities on Dalits and thus present an overall Indian picture had occurred to me a long time ago. Absence of such a comprehensive picture is a major reason for a weak social and political consciousness among Dalits as well as non-Dalits. But gradually the idea took a different form. I found that lay readers don’t understand numbers and don’t like to read well-researched articles. The best way to reach out to them was storytelling. As I started writing in Gujarati and sharing the idea of the book with my friends, it occurred to me that while...

New RTI draft rules inspired by citizen-unfriendly, overtly bureaucratic approach

By Venkatesh Nayak* The Department of Personnel and Training , Government of India has invited comments on a new set of Draft Rules (available in English only) to implement The Right to Information Act, 2005 . The RTI Rules were last amended in 2012 after a long period of consultation with various stakeholders. The Government’s move to put the draft RTI Rules out for people’s comments and suggestions for change is a welcome continuation of the tradition of public consultation. Positive aspects of the Draft RTI Rules While 60-65% of the Draft RTI Rules repeat the content of the 2012 RTI Rules, some new aspects deserve appreciation as they clarify the manner of implementation of key provisions of the RTI Act. These are: Provisions for dealing with non-compliance of the orders and directives of the Central Information Commission (CIC) by public authorities- this was missing in the 2012 RTI Rules. Non-compliance is increasingly becoming a major problem- two of my non-compliance cases are...

N-power plant at Mithi Virdi: CRZ nod is arbitrary, without jurisdiction

By Krishnakant* A case-appeal has been filed against the order of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and others granting CRZ clearance for establishment of intake and outfall facility for proposed 6000 MWe Nuclear Power Plant at Mithi Virdi, District Bhavnagar, Gujarat by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) vide order in F 11-23 /2014-IA- III dated March 3, 2015. The case-appeal in the National Green Tribunal at Western Bench at Pune is filed by Shaktisinh Gohil, Sarpanch of Jasapara; Hajabhai Dihora of Mithi Virdi; Jagrutiben Gohil of Jasapara; Krishnakant and Rohit Prajapati activist of the Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued a notice to the MoEF&CC, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Gujarat Coastal Zone Management Authority, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and case is kept for hearing on August 20, 2015. Appeal No. 23 of 2015 (WZ) is filed, a...

1857 War of Independence... when Hindu-Muslim separatism, hatred wasn't an issue

"The Sepoy Revolt at Meerut", Illustrated London News, 1857  By Shamsul Islam* Large sections of Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs unitedly challenged the greatest imperialist power, Britain, during India’s First War of Independence which began on May 10, 1857; the day being Sunday. This extraordinary unity, naturally, unnerved the firangees and made them realize that if their rule was to continue in India, it could happen only when Hindus and Muslims, the largest two religious communities were divided on communal lines.

Ground reality: Israel would a remain Jewish state, attempt to overthrow it will be futile

By NS Venkataraman*  Now that truce has been arrived at between Israel and Hamas for a period of four days and with release of a few hostages from both sides, there is hope that truce would be further extended and the intensity of war would become significantly less. This likely “truce period” gives an opportunity for the sworn supporters and bitter opponents of Hamas as well as Israel and the observers around the world to introspect on the happenings and whether this war could have been avoided. There is prolonged debate for the last several decades as to whom the present region that has been provided to Jews after the World War II belong. View of some people is that Jews have been occupants earlier and therefore, the region should belong to Jews only. However, Christians and those belonging to Islam have also lived in this regions for long period. While Christians make no claim, the dispute is between Jews and those who claim themselves to be Palestinians. In any case...

Fate of Yamuna floodplain still hangs in "balance" despite National Green Tribunal rap on Sri Sri event

By Ashok Shrimali* While the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Thursday reportedly pulled up the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) for granting permission to hold spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's World Culture Festival on the banks of Yamuna, the chief petitioners against the high-profile event Yamuna Jiye Abhiyan has declared, the “fate of the floodplain still hangs in balance.”