Skip to main content

Human Rights Defenders calls for urgent action in favour of Teesta, others facing arrest due to "malicious" FIR

Gulberg society after the attack
By A Representative
The Human Rights Defenders Alert – India (HRDAI) has sounded an urgent appeal for action against the Gujarat police registering an FIR against well-known social worker Teesta Setalvad and four other human rights defenders, who are fighting for justice to Gujarat riots victims. Expressing “grave concern” regarding the latest round of “vindictive” actions against human rights defender Teesta Setalvad, secretary, Citizen's for Justice and Peace (CJP) and others, against whom the Gujarat Police Crime Branch has registered a “false FIR” on “malicious grounds of cheating”, the HRDAI has said, action is particularly needed as they face “the threat of arrest.”
Apart from Setalvad, those against whom the FIR has been lodged are Salimbhai Sandhi and Firoz Gulzar Pathan who both lost family in the vicious made on attack on Gulberg Society on February 28, 2002, when the riots broke out; Javed Anand, a civil rights activist (Setalvad’s husband); and Tanvir Jafri, son of late Congress MP Ehsan Jafri, slain at Gulberg Society during the riots. “Crime Branch officials were quoted as saying that the case has been filed against five persons under Sections 120(B), 406 and 420 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and Section 72 (A) of the Income Tax Act for allegedly usurping Rs 1.51 crore for turning the riot-ravaged Gulberg Society into a museum”, the HRDAI statement said.
Interim bail to Teesta Setalvad
Justice Mridula Bhatka of the Bombay High Court has granted interim bail to Teesta Setalvad and Javed Anand, observing that the social activist Setalvad was “false implicated in the past”  and was also provided “similar relief” by the court earlier. In an application filed by Setalvad and Anand, the two had pleaded that the FIR 1/2014 filed by the Crime Branch of the Ahmedabad police was filed with “malafide intent”. 
It said, "The FIR is a malafide action of the Crime Branch, Ahmedabad, to intimidate a human rights defender. This is the fifth time that a false criminal case has been lodged since 2004 because of my and my organisation's consistent legal support to the victims of 2002 riots." The applicants alleged that the FIR was the latest effort to intimidate them by "powerful forces in Gujarat who wish(ed) to stymie the appeal in the Zakia Jafri case".
Residents of Gulberg Society came under attack during the post-Godhra riots in Gujarat in 2002, which led to the death of 68 persons. Saying that “the timing of the FIR is significant, given the fact that for a full eleven months after CJP and its sister organization Sabrang had given satisfactory explanations to the Crime Branch, investigations had been dropped”, the HDRAI said, “In a written complaint to the Crime Branch, Ahmedabad police, the office bearers of Gulberg Society had accused complainant Feroze Khan of forging the letterhead of the society.”
Pointing out that a former employee of CJP, Rais Khan has been “at the root of this and two other false criminal complaints against Teesta Setalvad”, the statement said, both are being “aggressively aided by the Gujarat police.” It added, “The sudden filing of this FIR soon after the Ahmedabad magistrate's acceptance of the SIT (Special Investigating Team) report in the Zakia Jafri vs Narendra Modi and 59 Others case is not without significance. The SIT had outsourced its work to DCP Crime Branch, Himanshu Shukl,a and the head of the Crime Branch, AK Sharma, who had handled the investigation last year. It was the same SIT that had made vile allegations against complainant Zakia Jafri and Teesta Setalvad during the hearing of the petition.”
The statement insisted, “The timing of this FIR replete with a threat of arrest is seen by the source as efforts to prevent prompt filing of appeal in the Zakia Jafri case against Narendra Modi and 59 others. The close nexus between top functionaries of the BJP who have been appearing for Rais Khan include Ram Jethmalani. Even advocates appearing for SIT have been appearing for Rais Khan in the High Court. A deliberate campaign to vilify the efforts to procure justice for the victims of the carnage of 2002 that has been sustained and supported by vested powerful interests in Gujarat and the opposition party at the national level has reached new heights over past weeks.”
Declaring solidarity with Teesta and other human rights defenders, the statement appealed the need to ensure that “the physical and psychological safety and integrity” of all of them are “guaranteed.” It added, there was a need to “independently investigate” into the case to verify the veracity of the complaint “by engaging a senior officer of the rank of an SP to investigate.” Till this investigation is over, “the Gujarat police should not to in any way arrest or cause any other restraint to Teesta or and her colleagues.”
In a separate statement, supporting Teesta and others in almost a similar tone, a group of prominent citizens of Gujarat has called the FIR a “fascist step”, saying it is part of the “Modi government’s efforts to block the legal remedies of appeal in the Gulberg case where the lower court recently accepted the SIT’s closure report and clean chit. This is apparent from legal expert Arun Jaitley’s open exhortation to close the case after a mere Magistrate court’s order. Why does the prospect of an appeal to higher courts so frightening the BJP and why is it so desperate in its efforts to block the legal remedies like higher court appeals?”
Those who have signed the statement are former BJP chief minister Suresh Mehta, Prakash N Shah, editor, Nirikshak, Gautam Thaker, general secretary, People’s Union for Civil Liberties, Gujarat, Rohit Shukla, president, Save Education Gujarat, Dwarikanath Rath, convener, Lok Andolan Gujarat, Indubai Jani, editor, Naya Marg, Rajni Dave, Gujarat Sarvodaya Mandal, Mahesh Pandya, Gujarat Social Watch, and Meenakshi Joshi, Mahila Sanskriti Sanghathan.
Sajhi Duniya, a Lucknow-based NGO, expressing concern over the FIR, said, “The latest case against eminent social activist Teesta Setalvad is yet another example of the Modi government’s machinations to lure the victims of the state-sponsored mayhem and malign those who stand, without his fear, for justice.” It added, “We, the members of Saajhi Duniya, not only condemn the attempt of the vested interests to falsely implicate social activists like Teesta and Javed but also demand action against those who, by such acts, obstruct the course of justice. We also demand immediate withdrawal of the case and intervention in favour of the activists”.

Comments

TRENDING

A comrade in culture and controversy: Yao Wenyuan’s revolutionary legacy

By Harsh Thakor*  This year marks two important anniversaries in Chinese revolutionary history—the 20th death anniversary of Yao Wenyuan, and the 50th anniversary of his seminal essay "On the Social Basis of the Lin Biao Anti-Party Clique". These milestones invite reflection on the man whose pen ignited the first sparks of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution and whose sharp ideological interventions left an indelible imprint on the political and cultural landscape of socialist China.

Two more "aadhaar-linked" Jharkhand deaths: 17 die of starvation since Sept 2017

Kaleshwar's sons Santosh and Mantosh Counterview Desk A fact-finding team of the Right to Feed Campaign, pointing towards the death of two more persons due to starvation in Jharkhand, has said that this has happened because of the absence of aadhaar, leading to “persistent lack of food at home and unavailability of any means of earning.” It has disputed the state government claims that these deaths are due to reasons other than starvation, adding, the authorities have “done nothing” to reduce the alarming state of food insecurity in the state.

What's behind Donald Trump's 'narco-state' accusation against Venezuela

By Manolo De Los Santos  The US government has revived its campaign to label Venezuela a "narco-state", accusing its top leadership of drug trafficking and slapping hefty bounties on their heads for capture. This campaign, which only momentarily took a backseat, is a strategic fabrication, not a factual assessment. This accusation, particularly amplified under the Trump Administration, is a calculated smokescreen to justify a long-standing agenda: the overthrow of the Venezuelan government and the seizure of its vast oil and mineral resources. A closer examination of the facts reveals a country that has actively fought drug trafficking on its own terms and a US government with a clear and consistent history of destabilizing independent countries in Latin America.

Epic war against caste system is constitutional responsibility of elected government

Edited by well-known Gujarat Dalit rights leader Martin Macwan, the book, “Bhed-Bharat: An Account of Injustice and Atrocities on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-18)” (available in English and Gujarati*) is a selection of news articles on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-2018) published by Dalit Shakti Prakashan, Ahmedabad. Preface to the book, in which Macwan seeks to answer key questions on why the book is needed today: *** The thought of compiling a book on atrocities on Dalits and thus present an overall Indian picture had occurred to me a long time ago. Absence of such a comprehensive picture is a major reason for a weak social and political consciousness among Dalits as well as non-Dalits. But gradually the idea took a different form. I found that lay readers don’t understand numbers and don’t like to read well-researched articles. The best way to reach out to them was storytelling. As I started writing in Gujarati and sharing the idea of the book with my friends, it occurred to me that while...

New RTI draft rules inspired by citizen-unfriendly, overtly bureaucratic approach

By Venkatesh Nayak* The Department of Personnel and Training , Government of India has invited comments on a new set of Draft Rules (available in English only) to implement The Right to Information Act, 2005 . The RTI Rules were last amended in 2012 after a long period of consultation with various stakeholders. The Government’s move to put the draft RTI Rules out for people’s comments and suggestions for change is a welcome continuation of the tradition of public consultation. Positive aspects of the Draft RTI Rules While 60-65% of the Draft RTI Rules repeat the content of the 2012 RTI Rules, some new aspects deserve appreciation as they clarify the manner of implementation of key provisions of the RTI Act. These are: Provisions for dealing with non-compliance of the orders and directives of the Central Information Commission (CIC) by public authorities- this was missing in the 2012 RTI Rules. Non-compliance is increasingly becoming a major problem- two of my non-compliance cases are...

N-power plant at Mithi Virdi: CRZ nod is arbitrary, without jurisdiction

By Krishnakant* A case-appeal has been filed against the order of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and others granting CRZ clearance for establishment of intake and outfall facility for proposed 6000 MWe Nuclear Power Plant at Mithi Virdi, District Bhavnagar, Gujarat by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) vide order in F 11-23 /2014-IA- III dated March 3, 2015. The case-appeal in the National Green Tribunal at Western Bench at Pune is filed by Shaktisinh Gohil, Sarpanch of Jasapara; Hajabhai Dihora of Mithi Virdi; Jagrutiben Gohil of Jasapara; Krishnakant and Rohit Prajapati activist of the Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued a notice to the MoEF&CC, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Gujarat Coastal Zone Management Authority, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and case is kept for hearing on August 20, 2015. Appeal No. 23 of 2015 (WZ) is filed, a...

1857 War of Independence... when Hindu-Muslim separatism, hatred wasn't an issue

"The Sepoy Revolt at Meerut", Illustrated London News, 1857  By Shamsul Islam* Large sections of Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs unitedly challenged the greatest imperialist power, Britain, during India’s First War of Independence which began on May 10, 1857; the day being Sunday. This extraordinary unity, naturally, unnerved the firangees and made them realize that if their rule was to continue in India, it could happen only when Hindus and Muslims, the largest two religious communities were divided on communal lines.

Ground reality: Israel would a remain Jewish state, attempt to overthrow it will be futile

By NS Venkataraman*  Now that truce has been arrived at between Israel and Hamas for a period of four days and with release of a few hostages from both sides, there is hope that truce would be further extended and the intensity of war would become significantly less. This likely “truce period” gives an opportunity for the sworn supporters and bitter opponents of Hamas as well as Israel and the observers around the world to introspect on the happenings and whether this war could have been avoided. There is prolonged debate for the last several decades as to whom the present region that has been provided to Jews after the World War II belong. View of some people is that Jews have been occupants earlier and therefore, the region should belong to Jews only. However, Christians and those belonging to Islam have also lived in this regions for long period. While Christians make no claim, the dispute is between Jews and those who claim themselves to be Palestinians. In any case...

Fate of Yamuna floodplain still hangs in "balance" despite National Green Tribunal rap on Sri Sri event

By Ashok Shrimali* While the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Thursday reportedly pulled up the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) for granting permission to hold spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's World Culture Festival on the banks of Yamuna, the chief petitioners against the high-profile event Yamuna Jiye Abhiyan has declared, the “fate of the floodplain still hangs in balance.”