Skip to main content

Madhya Pradesh government indifference towards silicosis victims prompt workers to launch a wave of protests

Patthar Khan Mazdoor Sangh demonstration led by Yousuf Baig
By Ashok Shrimali*
Workers in Panna district of Madhya Pradesh are up in arms against the state government indifference towards silicosis, the deadly disease rampant in sandstone mining. Occupational and Environmental Health Network of India (OEHNI) coordinator Mohit Gupta in a statement has said this has happened because workers in these mines are suffering from silicosis for long, “yet, the owners have failed to provide any facilities or protective equipments to them, as is common in the country.” Worse, “they have not even been issued any ID cards, and they have no knowledge either about the name of the owner or the mine for which they are working for.”
An OEHNI medical camp for these workers in 2011 found that 39 out of 45 workers who came for diagnosis suffered from silicosis. “This list of workers was given to the district administration for remedial action, but nothing happened. A case was also filed against the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) for these workers. In 2012, again, the diagnosed 84 workers as suffering from silicosis. Of these, six victims have so far died, and they have received no compensation of any kind. This has happened despite the fact that three of them were confirmed by the government doctors also as silicosis victims”, Gupta said.
All this took shape against the backdrop of the fact that the NHRC in its order dated October 15, 2012, asked the Madhya Pradesh government’s health secretary to work out ways to provide compensation to the victims, even as start treating those who suffer from silicosis. The NHRC acted on the on the basis of a complaint, which said that 82 patients of silicosis have been identified in the tribal areas of Panna District. The complaint further said, there were around 75,000 tribals working in the stone quarries in the area. 
Despite the order, significantly, even today, Gupta said, the district hospital “does not have any qualified doctor to diagnose the disease; the doctors keep diagnosing these workers as suffering from tuberculosis (TB). After repeated pressure, 17 of these workers were taken to another district medical college and after a CT scan they were confirmed to be suffering from silicosis. There has been no effort from the state to identify other workers who might be suffering.”
The only list so far that exists providing some indication of the disease is the one prepared by the OEHNI, Gupta claimed, adding, “There are no efforts to improve the situation on the ground, no alternative engineering methods have been introduced for the workers to work in a healthier atmosphere, nor have the workers been provided with any safety equipment in the mines. Repeated promises made by one and all have been broken.”
Demonstrators offering to be court arrested
The result of all has been an agitation early on last Monday, in which about 1,000 people, under the banner of Patthar Khan Mazdoor Sangh and led by Yousuf Baig, marched up to the district collector’s office and demanded that he should meet them personally to hand over a memorandum addressed to the chief minister. “The indifference of the state administration was there for all to see. The district collected refused to come down and meet the protesters, though agreeing to meet a representation in his office, which was rejected”, Gupta said.
Worse, the district collected kept sending deputies to take the memorandum. After about a couple of hours, the police arrested about 130 of these workers, who included several senior anti-mines activists from Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat, and took them to a makeshift jail. The local MLA who came out in support of the agitation also got himself arrested along with others.
Protests did not stop. Another larger group of forest dwellers under the leadership of Aadiwasi Mahasangh (comprising of more than 5,000 villagers) tried to meet the collector on Wednesday. This group had agreed to raise the demands of the silicosis victims along with their own. “But the district collector left his office on a tour in the morning, perhaps knowing well that another group of protesters had come down to represent to him”, Gupta said.
Gupta regrets, the memorandum, addressed to the MP chief minister “has still not been accepted”, though files have started moving in Bhopal to look into the plight of the silicosis victims. “If things do not change, the workers plan to sit on hunger strike starting next week”, he adds.
Meanwhile, a letter written by addressed to the MP chief minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, Yousuf Baig said that though the government has recognized the disease as deadly in the state assembly, no schemes have yet been worked out to address the workers’ plight. The letter says that the Rajasthan government provides a compensation of Rs 3 lakh to the widows of the workers who died because of silicosis. Similarly, Gujarat has announced Rs 1 lakh insurance against anyone who dies of silicosis.
“However, nothing of the sort exists in Madhya Pradesh”, the letter says, asking him to intervene in the matter, adding, there should be a regular checkup by competent occupational health physicians of all the workers working in sand stone mining industry in the state. At the same time, all workers should be registered and be provided with the benefits given to any regular workers, including safety equipment.
---
*Senior Gujarat-based activist

Comments

Jagdish Patel said…
IN Rajasthan where Govt is led by Cogress has enforced recommendation by NHRC - backed by Supreme Court interim order in PIL 110/2006- to pay Rs.3 lakh to the kin of workers dying of Silicosis. BJP Govts in Rajasthan,Gujarat and Chhattisgarh do not follow NHRC recommendation. It is clear BJP is not looking at needs of poor

TRENDING

A comrade in culture and controversy: Yao Wenyuan’s revolutionary legacy

By Harsh Thakor*  This year marks two important anniversaries in Chinese revolutionary history—the 20th death anniversary of Yao Wenyuan, and the 50th anniversary of his seminal essay "On the Social Basis of the Lin Biao Anti-Party Clique". These milestones invite reflection on the man whose pen ignited the first sparks of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution and whose sharp ideological interventions left an indelible imprint on the political and cultural landscape of socialist China.

Two more "aadhaar-linked" Jharkhand deaths: 17 die of starvation since Sept 2017

Kaleshwar's sons Santosh and Mantosh Counterview Desk A fact-finding team of the Right to Feed Campaign, pointing towards the death of two more persons due to starvation in Jharkhand, has said that this has happened because of the absence of aadhaar, leading to “persistent lack of food at home and unavailability of any means of earning.” It has disputed the state government claims that these deaths are due to reasons other than starvation, adding, the authorities have “done nothing” to reduce the alarming state of food insecurity in the state.

What's behind Donald Trump's 'narco-state' accusation against Venezuela

By Manolo De Los Santos  The US government has revived its campaign to label Venezuela a "narco-state", accusing its top leadership of drug trafficking and slapping hefty bounties on their heads for capture. This campaign, which only momentarily took a backseat, is a strategic fabrication, not a factual assessment. This accusation, particularly amplified under the Trump Administration, is a calculated smokescreen to justify a long-standing agenda: the overthrow of the Venezuelan government and the seizure of its vast oil and mineral resources. A closer examination of the facts reveals a country that has actively fought drug trafficking on its own terms and a US government with a clear and consistent history of destabilizing independent countries in Latin America.

Epic war against caste system is constitutional responsibility of elected government

Edited by well-known Gujarat Dalit rights leader Martin Macwan, the book, “Bhed-Bharat: An Account of Injustice and Atrocities on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-18)” (available in English and Gujarati*) is a selection of news articles on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-2018) published by Dalit Shakti Prakashan, Ahmedabad. Preface to the book, in which Macwan seeks to answer key questions on why the book is needed today: *** The thought of compiling a book on atrocities on Dalits and thus present an overall Indian picture had occurred to me a long time ago. Absence of such a comprehensive picture is a major reason for a weak social and political consciousness among Dalits as well as non-Dalits. But gradually the idea took a different form. I found that lay readers don’t understand numbers and don’t like to read well-researched articles. The best way to reach out to them was storytelling. As I started writing in Gujarati and sharing the idea of the book with my friends, it occurred to me that while...

New RTI draft rules inspired by citizen-unfriendly, overtly bureaucratic approach

By Venkatesh Nayak* The Department of Personnel and Training , Government of India has invited comments on a new set of Draft Rules (available in English only) to implement The Right to Information Act, 2005 . The RTI Rules were last amended in 2012 after a long period of consultation with various stakeholders. The Government’s move to put the draft RTI Rules out for people’s comments and suggestions for change is a welcome continuation of the tradition of public consultation. Positive aspects of the Draft RTI Rules While 60-65% of the Draft RTI Rules repeat the content of the 2012 RTI Rules, some new aspects deserve appreciation as they clarify the manner of implementation of key provisions of the RTI Act. These are: Provisions for dealing with non-compliance of the orders and directives of the Central Information Commission (CIC) by public authorities- this was missing in the 2012 RTI Rules. Non-compliance is increasingly becoming a major problem- two of my non-compliance cases are...

N-power plant at Mithi Virdi: CRZ nod is arbitrary, without jurisdiction

By Krishnakant* A case-appeal has been filed against the order of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and others granting CRZ clearance for establishment of intake and outfall facility for proposed 6000 MWe Nuclear Power Plant at Mithi Virdi, District Bhavnagar, Gujarat by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) vide order in F 11-23 /2014-IA- III dated March 3, 2015. The case-appeal in the National Green Tribunal at Western Bench at Pune is filed by Shaktisinh Gohil, Sarpanch of Jasapara; Hajabhai Dihora of Mithi Virdi; Jagrutiben Gohil of Jasapara; Krishnakant and Rohit Prajapati activist of the Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued a notice to the MoEF&CC, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Gujarat Coastal Zone Management Authority, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and case is kept for hearing on August 20, 2015. Appeal No. 23 of 2015 (WZ) is filed, a...

1857 War of Independence... when Hindu-Muslim separatism, hatred wasn't an issue

"The Sepoy Revolt at Meerut", Illustrated London News, 1857  By Shamsul Islam* Large sections of Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs unitedly challenged the greatest imperialist power, Britain, during India’s First War of Independence which began on May 10, 1857; the day being Sunday. This extraordinary unity, naturally, unnerved the firangees and made them realize that if their rule was to continue in India, it could happen only when Hindus and Muslims, the largest two religious communities were divided on communal lines.

Ground reality: Israel would a remain Jewish state, attempt to overthrow it will be futile

By NS Venkataraman*  Now that truce has been arrived at between Israel and Hamas for a period of four days and with release of a few hostages from both sides, there is hope that truce would be further extended and the intensity of war would become significantly less. This likely “truce period” gives an opportunity for the sworn supporters and bitter opponents of Hamas as well as Israel and the observers around the world to introspect on the happenings and whether this war could have been avoided. There is prolonged debate for the last several decades as to whom the present region that has been provided to Jews after the World War II belong. View of some people is that Jews have been occupants earlier and therefore, the region should belong to Jews only. However, Christians and those belonging to Islam have also lived in this regions for long period. While Christians make no claim, the dispute is between Jews and those who claim themselves to be Palestinians. In any case...

Fate of Yamuna floodplain still hangs in "balance" despite National Green Tribunal rap on Sri Sri event

By Ashok Shrimali* While the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Thursday reportedly pulled up the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) for granting permission to hold spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's World Culture Festival on the banks of Yamuna, the chief petitioners against the high-profile event Yamuna Jiye Abhiyan has declared, the “fate of the floodplain still hangs in balance.”