Skip to main content

Deliberate criminalization of conversation 'strengthening' anti-minority narrative

Neha Dabhade* 

The Constitution of India guarantees right to freedom of religion to its citizens. Article 25 says, “Subject to public order, morality and health and to the other provisions of this Part, all persons are equally entitled to freedom of conscience and the right freely to profess, practice and propagate religion”. However, despite this Constitutional right, there have been arrests of persons alleging that they have been causing mass conversions and running “biggest conversion syndicate”.
For the purpose of busting these “syndicates” and “rackets”, the Anti Terrorist Squads (ATS) has been engaged in UP and it has made more than 15 arrests so far, the latest being Maulana Kaleem Siddiqui, an Islamic scholar from Muzzaffarnagar. In some cases, the stringent National Security Act is invoked.
While the government backed narrative is creating an impression that many conversions are forcibly taking place and almost likening it to organized crime, it is interesting that no data or number is given by the authorities. Where are the cases of conversions? Are there so many cases of conversions that the State has launched a hunt for the same? Is it a crime in the first place to convert or cause conversions?
The ruling dispensation has made exaggerated claims to a point of hysteria -- claiming mass conversions or large numbers of conversions. The States of Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Karnataka, Gujarat etc have recently passed anti-conversion bills and justified these laws by whipping up anti-conversion sentiments and allegations of rampant conversions.
For instance, the following statements. “The issue (of religious conversions) has come to the government’s notice. Converting people from one religion to another by inducing them is a punishable offence. We will keep vigil on such activities. There is a wide network working on religious conversions across the country and we will soon bring an anti-conversion bill to rein them in”, said Home Minister of Karnataka, Araga Jnanendra.
Madhya Pradesh minister Usha Thakur, alleged that Christian missionaries were doing religious conversions under the pretext of providing education or medical treatment. Thakur stated that the government was building primary health centres so that people don't have to go to missionaries for treatment. Invoking MP's anti-conversion law, she said that such forced conversions by missionaries will not be tolerated in the State.
Thus, a number of States in India have passed laws in effect banning conversions by putting in place stringent restrictions. Conversions are increasingly being criminalized in different forms especially inter-faith marriages. Ironically, despite shocking stories of arbitrary arrests alleging forcible conversions, the government has been unable to furnish any details of the cases of conversions.
A survey of media reports would help understand if forcible conversions are taking place on a mass level. The cases in the media paint a rather different picture which contradicts the narrative and arguments of the ruling dispensation. The media reports point towards hardly any cases of mass conversions of Hindus into Islam or Hindus into Christianity.
In fact, there are reports of how the Hindu supremacist organizations are using this bogey of conversion to target -- beating up and intimidating Muslim and Christian religious leaders and disrupting religious assemblies without any basis. Churches and pastors are increasingly coming under assaults by the Hindu supremacists according to media reports. Below we are listing down some of the cases.
On September 5, 2021, a Christian priest was beaten up by a right-wing mob inside a police station in Raipur over allegations of forced religious conversions. A mob attacked the priest. The pastor was subjected to physical assault. A video of the incident shows some members hitting the priest with slippers and shoes.
On April 8, 2021, a Christian priest was beaten by a group of Hindu extremists in Tichkiya, in the central State of Madhya Pradesh. Pentacostal pastor, named Bharat, and belonging to the Bhilala tribe, had gathered in prayer with three other believers in a house when Hindu supremacists broke in. They accused the pastor of "enticing" the tribal population with the Christian faith. After a heated argument, the extremists beat Rev. Bharat and vandalized the prayer centre.
In another incident, Hindu activists in the State of Chhattisgarh disrupted a prayer service and threatened two Christian pastors in the span of three days for alleged religious conversions. In the first incident on July 4, Pastor Firoz Bagh was conducting a prayer service at his house in Raipur, the State capital, when 30-40 Hindus surrounded the house and started shouting anti-Christian slogans. Police took the pastor into custody but released him after a few hours after the intervention of church leaders.
On July 7, Pastor Ramesh Manikpur of Sarora Gogaon was resting at his house in the evening when a Hindu group wrote a slogan hailing Hindu gods on his boundary wall. The priests complain of routine harassment by Hindutva groups who accuse them of conversions.
In Adnadhi village of Madhya Pradesh, a mob of about 250 people, led by the village head, attacked the group of Christians because they refused to give up following Christianity. Four people sustained serious internal injuries and had to be hospitalized. According to witness accounts, the village chief summoned the Christians to a place where they were attacked by a mob that had already assembled.
The village chief asked the group of Christians to either give up their faith or leave the village. When the group refused to give up Christianity, they were attacked with stones. The Christians in the village also accused Hindu supremacists of breaking into their homes during prayer meetings.
In Jhabua, Madhya Pradesh, the aggressive Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) has threatened to demolish churches in the district. The VHP had approached authorities with allegations of the churches are running a “conversion racket” in Jhabua district. They also alleged that the churches are illegal structures.
Consequently, summons from the tehsildar (collector) of Jhabua were sent out calling several priests to produce the documents of their appointments and conversions under them. This along with the persistent threats from the VHP has created an atmosphere of fear in the Christian community. The Bishop has sought help from the President of India.
In early September 2021, vigilantes from Hindu Jagaran Vedike barged into a Church in Kukkandur village in Udupi district in Karnataka alleging that the church authorities assembled more than 35 Hindus there to carry out religious conversions. It was alleged that the activists misbehaved with women after barging inside the church. The police have booked the HJV activists along with Benedict, the church pastor for allegedly carrying out conversions and holding religious meetings without permission.
A group of over 100 people allegedly beat up a 25-year-old pastor after barging into his house at a remote village in Chhattisgarh's Kabirdham district late August 2021, during which they raised slogans against religious conversion. The mob also vandalized his property and manhandled his family members before fleeing from the spot. They mob damaged articles of worship and household items, and tore scriptures.
Media reports point towards hardly any cases of mass conversions of Hindus into Islam or Hindus into Christianity
In July 2021, about 25 Hindu radicals stormed a prayer meeting in Gangapur town, Uttar Pradesh, accusing those present of forcibly converting Hindus to Christianity. In addition, 9 Christians were also arrested in violation of the anti-conversion law in UP taking the toll of the arrests to 30 in the month of July alone.
A place of worship was damaged using explosives and its priest and a devotee were thrashed with sticks allegedly by two dozen masked people at Jawad tehsil in Madhya Pradesh’s Neemuch district in early October, 2021. The attackers left behind a pamphlet claiming the shrine was involved in converting Hindus to Islam. The wounded priest, writhing in pain with one of his legs bandaged, said he was tied, bundled, and bashed by masked men.
The above are the examples of how priests, religious assemblies, prayers and places of worships are attacked routinely by Hindu supremacist organizations hinting at a certain level of impunity they enjoy while raising the false bogey of conversions. The police and administration too takes little or no action against the perpetrators.
In fact it is seen charging the innocent priests with charges under the draconian anti-conversion laws. While attacking the priests and prayers is one modus operandi of the vigilante groups using the law as a tool, targeting inter-faith couples is another modus operandi. And these cases have been widely covered by the media. Some of the examples are discussed below.
In UP, a Special Investigation Team (SIT) was constituted to investigate into the cases where Hindu women were “lured” by Muslim men into relationships and marriages. In July 2021, the members of Karni Sena stopped a wedding of an inter-faith couple at the Ballia district court alleging forceful conversion of the Hindu woman. The workers of the Hindutva outfit then allegedly forced the woman to go to Kotwali police station, where police officers intervened and handed over the 18-year-old woman to her parents, until she gave a statement in court.
Similarly, in Vadodara, Gujarat, a woman went to complain about domestic violence against her husband but the police filed an FIR against her husband, Sameer Qureshi, accusing him of forcefully converting her to Islam. The law has been targeting Muslim youth and not allowing Hindu women to marry or convert out of their own will. These are only two of the many similar cases.
What does the above say about the scenario of conversions and the politics surrounding it? The bogey of conversions legitimized by anti-conversion laws in some of States in India is used as a weapon to engage in a witch hunt against the Christians and Muslims. They are routinely intimidated by the Hindu supremacists and criminalized by the state.
This deliberate criminalization has strengthened the carefully constructed narrative that Muslims and Christians have been forcefully converting Hindus in large numbers without furnishing any data on these alleged conversions. Such laws, subsequent criminalization and ideological propaganda are resulting into blatant violation of freedom of religion in India. And the victims are beaten into submission and helplessness without any recourse to justice in this dystopian state of what remains of the secular India.
---
*Centre for Study of Society and Secularism, Mumbai. Inputs: Ishaan Menon, Bhakti Garje. This article has been distributed by Peoples Media Advocacy & Resource Centre- PMARC

Comments

Cauliflower Farmer said…
So what?

TRENDING

A comrade in culture and controversy: Yao Wenyuan’s revolutionary legacy

By Harsh Thakor*  This year marks two important anniversaries in Chinese revolutionary history—the 20th death anniversary of Yao Wenyuan, and the 50th anniversary of his seminal essay "On the Social Basis of the Lin Biao Anti-Party Clique". These milestones invite reflection on the man whose pen ignited the first sparks of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution and whose sharp ideological interventions left an indelible imprint on the political and cultural landscape of socialist China.

Two more "aadhaar-linked" Jharkhand deaths: 17 die of starvation since Sept 2017

Kaleshwar's sons Santosh and Mantosh Counterview Desk A fact-finding team of the Right to Feed Campaign, pointing towards the death of two more persons due to starvation in Jharkhand, has said that this has happened because of the absence of aadhaar, leading to “persistent lack of food at home and unavailability of any means of earning.” It has disputed the state government claims that these deaths are due to reasons other than starvation, adding, the authorities have “done nothing” to reduce the alarming state of food insecurity in the state.

Epic war against caste system is constitutional responsibility of elected government

Edited by well-known Gujarat Dalit rights leader Martin Macwan, the book, “Bhed-Bharat: An Account of Injustice and Atrocities on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-18)” (available in English and Gujarati*) is a selection of news articles on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-2018) published by Dalit Shakti Prakashan, Ahmedabad. Preface to the book, in which Macwan seeks to answer key questions on why the book is needed today: *** The thought of compiling a book on atrocities on Dalits and thus present an overall Indian picture had occurred to me a long time ago. Absence of such a comprehensive picture is a major reason for a weak social and political consciousness among Dalits as well as non-Dalits. But gradually the idea took a different form. I found that lay readers don’t understand numbers and don’t like to read well-researched articles. The best way to reach out to them was storytelling. As I started writing in Gujarati and sharing the idea of the book with my friends, it occurred to me that while...

What's behind Donald Trump's 'narco-state' accusation against Venezuela

By Manolo De Los Santos  The US government has revived its campaign to label Venezuela a "narco-state", accusing its top leadership of drug trafficking and slapping hefty bounties on their heads for capture. This campaign, which only momentarily took a backseat, is a strategic fabrication, not a factual assessment. This accusation, particularly amplified under the Trump Administration, is a calculated smokescreen to justify a long-standing agenda: the overthrow of the Venezuelan government and the seizure of its vast oil and mineral resources. A closer examination of the facts reveals a country that has actively fought drug trafficking on its own terms and a US government with a clear and consistent history of destabilizing independent countries in Latin America.

New RTI draft rules inspired by citizen-unfriendly, overtly bureaucratic approach

By Venkatesh Nayak* The Department of Personnel and Training , Government of India has invited comments on a new set of Draft Rules (available in English only) to implement The Right to Information Act, 2005 . The RTI Rules were last amended in 2012 after a long period of consultation with various stakeholders. The Government’s move to put the draft RTI Rules out for people’s comments and suggestions for change is a welcome continuation of the tradition of public consultation. Positive aspects of the Draft RTI Rules While 60-65% of the Draft RTI Rules repeat the content of the 2012 RTI Rules, some new aspects deserve appreciation as they clarify the manner of implementation of key provisions of the RTI Act. These are: Provisions for dealing with non-compliance of the orders and directives of the Central Information Commission (CIC) by public authorities- this was missing in the 2012 RTI Rules. Non-compliance is increasingly becoming a major problem- two of my non-compliance cases are...

N-power plant at Mithi Virdi: CRZ nod is arbitrary, without jurisdiction

By Krishnakant* A case-appeal has been filed against the order of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and others granting CRZ clearance for establishment of intake and outfall facility for proposed 6000 MWe Nuclear Power Plant at Mithi Virdi, District Bhavnagar, Gujarat by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) vide order in F 11-23 /2014-IA- III dated March 3, 2015. The case-appeal in the National Green Tribunal at Western Bench at Pune is filed by Shaktisinh Gohil, Sarpanch of Jasapara; Hajabhai Dihora of Mithi Virdi; Jagrutiben Gohil of Jasapara; Krishnakant and Rohit Prajapati activist of the Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued a notice to the MoEF&CC, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Gujarat Coastal Zone Management Authority, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and case is kept for hearing on August 20, 2015. Appeal No. 23 of 2015 (WZ) is filed, a...

1857 War of Independence... when Hindu-Muslim separatism, hatred wasn't an issue

"The Sepoy Revolt at Meerut", Illustrated London News, 1857  By Shamsul Islam* Large sections of Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs unitedly challenged the greatest imperialist power, Britain, during India’s First War of Independence which began on May 10, 1857; the day being Sunday. This extraordinary unity, naturally, unnerved the firangees and made them realize that if their rule was to continue in India, it could happen only when Hindus and Muslims, the largest two religious communities were divided on communal lines.

Ground reality: Israel would a remain Jewish state, attempt to overthrow it will be futile

By NS Venkataraman*  Now that truce has been arrived at between Israel and Hamas for a period of four days and with release of a few hostages from both sides, there is hope that truce would be further extended and the intensity of war would become significantly less. This likely “truce period” gives an opportunity for the sworn supporters and bitter opponents of Hamas as well as Israel and the observers around the world to introspect on the happenings and whether this war could have been avoided. There is prolonged debate for the last several decades as to whom the present region that has been provided to Jews after the World War II belong. View of some people is that Jews have been occupants earlier and therefore, the region should belong to Jews only. However, Christians and those belonging to Islam have also lived in this regions for long period. While Christians make no claim, the dispute is between Jews and those who claim themselves to be Palestinians. In any case...

Fate of Yamuna floodplain still hangs in "balance" despite National Green Tribunal rap on Sri Sri event

By Ashok Shrimali* While the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Thursday reportedly pulled up the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) for granting permission to hold spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's World Culture Festival on the banks of Yamuna, the chief petitioners against the high-profile event Yamuna Jiye Abhiyan has declared, the “fate of the floodplain still hangs in balance.”