Skip to main content

Centre plans to seize 3.9 lakh hectares land from farmers, alleges NAPM, plans rally on February 24 in Delhi

NAPM-sponsored rally in Bhubaneshwar
By A Representative
The National Alliance of People's Movement (NAPM) has estimated that the new Ordinance amending the 2013 Land Acquisition Act will lead to the "seizure" of 3,90,000 hectares (ha) of agricultural land from farmers for the Delhi Mumbai Industrial Corridor (DMIC). Calling upon a rally at Jantar Mantar in Delhi on February 24, the NAPM has added, the Ordinance was introduced by the BJP government “so that industrialists, Indian and foreign, and builders can construct industrial corridors, open mines and accumulate real estate profits in the name of building cheap housing for the poor by grabbing farmers’ lands.”
The estimation is said to be based on Section 10(A) of Chapter III A of the Ordinance, which doesn’t not just put defence-related establishments, affordable houses for the poor and rural infrastructure in the list of “exemptions category”, where no social impact assessment (SIA) or people’s consent would be required for acquiring land. Even the industrial corridors have been put under the exemptions category.
If applied on Gujarat, which is the main part of the Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor (DMIC), it would mean, 60 per cent of the state’s land could be acquired without SIA or consent. Similar corridors are planned between Delhi and Kolkata, Kolkata and Chennai, Chennai and Bangaluru, and Bangaluru and Mumbai. The list is likely to expand to link Central India as well.
India's one of the biggest apex bodies of rights-based organizations, the NAPM said, already, following the Ordinance, “bulldozer attacks on slums of cities like Chennai, Mumbai, Hyderabad and Ranchi are increasing at an alarming rate.” It added, “Thousands of hectares of land belonging to the public are being looted to increase the breadth and lustre of smart cities.”

Odisha rally against land ordinance

The NAPM statement came alongside its supporters in Odisha, in alliance with about two dozen anti-displacement people’s movements and rights based organizations of Odisha , organizing a mass protest rally on February 14, 2015 in Bhubaneshwar against the Land Acquisition Ordinance, 2014. The rally demanded its “immediate withdrawal”.
Calling it “undemocratic and anti-people”, a statement issued by the rally organizers, Campaign for Survival and Dignity (CSD), demanded that the Odisha government should not implement the Land Acquisition Ordinance. The protest rally was addressed by Prafulla Samantara, convener of the NAPM, Rabi Das, Prof Manoranjan Mohanty, Trilochan Punji, Bilua Nayak and others .
The statement said, “The UPA government had brought new land acquisition Act in 2013 after consistent people’s struggles across different states against draconian land acquisition Act of 1894 of the British period, introducing a democratic process of social impact assessment (SIA) and public hearing. The very fundamental right to consent and prior information of 80 per cent and 70 per cent of land losers was mandatory for Land Acquisition for private and public partnership projects (PPPs).”
However, it added, the NDA Government under leadership of Narendra Modi “has brought land acquisition ordinance in December 2014. The new land acquisition ordinance will lead to forceful acquisition by the state which has no such authority in the constitution.”
“The provision of Social Impact Assessment followed by Public Hearing was the essence of democratic process of Land Acquisition in 2013, which has now been totally abolished for various sectors, and land acquisition will now be done for any private entity without any restriction”, the statement alleged.
The statement said the Ordinance was brought in though it was to come into force in January 2015, and not a single project anywhere in country had been stalled because of the Act. It also condemned the Government of India for “violating” the Gram Sabha’s authority established under the Forest Rights Act (FRA), 2006 in diversion of forest for non-forest purposes.
Following the the protest rally, a memorandum was submitted to the President of India through the Governor of Odisha. Soon thereafter, the organizers announced that on February 24, 2015, during Parliament session, a mass protest rally would be organized in Delhi and “the anti-people Ordinance would be burnt.”

Comments

TRENDING

A comrade in culture and controversy: Yao Wenyuan’s revolutionary legacy

By Harsh Thakor*  This year marks two important anniversaries in Chinese revolutionary history—the 20th death anniversary of Yao Wenyuan, and the 50th anniversary of his seminal essay "On the Social Basis of the Lin Biao Anti-Party Clique". These milestones invite reflection on the man whose pen ignited the first sparks of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution and whose sharp ideological interventions left an indelible imprint on the political and cultural landscape of socialist China.

Two more "aadhaar-linked" Jharkhand deaths: 17 die of starvation since Sept 2017

Kaleshwar's sons Santosh and Mantosh Counterview Desk A fact-finding team of the Right to Feed Campaign, pointing towards the death of two more persons due to starvation in Jharkhand, has said that this has happened because of the absence of aadhaar, leading to “persistent lack of food at home and unavailability of any means of earning.” It has disputed the state government claims that these deaths are due to reasons other than starvation, adding, the authorities have “done nothing” to reduce the alarming state of food insecurity in the state.

Epic war against caste system is constitutional responsibility of elected government

Edited by well-known Gujarat Dalit rights leader Martin Macwan, the book, “Bhed-Bharat: An Account of Injustice and Atrocities on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-18)” (available in English and Gujarati*) is a selection of news articles on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-2018) published by Dalit Shakti Prakashan, Ahmedabad. Preface to the book, in which Macwan seeks to answer key questions on why the book is needed today: *** The thought of compiling a book on atrocities on Dalits and thus present an overall Indian picture had occurred to me a long time ago. Absence of such a comprehensive picture is a major reason for a weak social and political consciousness among Dalits as well as non-Dalits. But gradually the idea took a different form. I found that lay readers don’t understand numbers and don’t like to read well-researched articles. The best way to reach out to them was storytelling. As I started writing in Gujarati and sharing the idea of the book with my friends, it occurred to me that while...

What's behind Donald Trump's 'narco-state' accusation against Venezuela

By Manolo De Los Santos  The US government has revived its campaign to label Venezuela a "narco-state", accusing its top leadership of drug trafficking and slapping hefty bounties on their heads for capture. This campaign, which only momentarily took a backseat, is a strategic fabrication, not a factual assessment. This accusation, particularly amplified under the Trump Administration, is a calculated smokescreen to justify a long-standing agenda: the overthrow of the Venezuelan government and the seizure of its vast oil and mineral resources. A closer examination of the facts reveals a country that has actively fought drug trafficking on its own terms and a US government with a clear and consistent history of destabilizing independent countries in Latin America.

New RTI draft rules inspired by citizen-unfriendly, overtly bureaucratic approach

By Venkatesh Nayak* The Department of Personnel and Training , Government of India has invited comments on a new set of Draft Rules (available in English only) to implement The Right to Information Act, 2005 . The RTI Rules were last amended in 2012 after a long period of consultation with various stakeholders. The Government’s move to put the draft RTI Rules out for people’s comments and suggestions for change is a welcome continuation of the tradition of public consultation. Positive aspects of the Draft RTI Rules While 60-65% of the Draft RTI Rules repeat the content of the 2012 RTI Rules, some new aspects deserve appreciation as they clarify the manner of implementation of key provisions of the RTI Act. These are: Provisions for dealing with non-compliance of the orders and directives of the Central Information Commission (CIC) by public authorities- this was missing in the 2012 RTI Rules. Non-compliance is increasingly becoming a major problem- two of my non-compliance cases are...

N-power plant at Mithi Virdi: CRZ nod is arbitrary, without jurisdiction

By Krishnakant* A case-appeal has been filed against the order of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and others granting CRZ clearance for establishment of intake and outfall facility for proposed 6000 MWe Nuclear Power Plant at Mithi Virdi, District Bhavnagar, Gujarat by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) vide order in F 11-23 /2014-IA- III dated March 3, 2015. The case-appeal in the National Green Tribunal at Western Bench at Pune is filed by Shaktisinh Gohil, Sarpanch of Jasapara; Hajabhai Dihora of Mithi Virdi; Jagrutiben Gohil of Jasapara; Krishnakant and Rohit Prajapati activist of the Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued a notice to the MoEF&CC, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Gujarat Coastal Zone Management Authority, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and case is kept for hearing on August 20, 2015. Appeal No. 23 of 2015 (WZ) is filed, a...

1857 War of Independence... when Hindu-Muslim separatism, hatred wasn't an issue

"The Sepoy Revolt at Meerut", Illustrated London News, 1857  By Shamsul Islam* Large sections of Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs unitedly challenged the greatest imperialist power, Britain, during India’s First War of Independence which began on May 10, 1857; the day being Sunday. This extraordinary unity, naturally, unnerved the firangees and made them realize that if their rule was to continue in India, it could happen only when Hindus and Muslims, the largest two religious communities were divided on communal lines.

Ground reality: Israel would a remain Jewish state, attempt to overthrow it will be futile

By NS Venkataraman*  Now that truce has been arrived at between Israel and Hamas for a period of four days and with release of a few hostages from both sides, there is hope that truce would be further extended and the intensity of war would become significantly less. This likely “truce period” gives an opportunity for the sworn supporters and bitter opponents of Hamas as well as Israel and the observers around the world to introspect on the happenings and whether this war could have been avoided. There is prolonged debate for the last several decades as to whom the present region that has been provided to Jews after the World War II belong. View of some people is that Jews have been occupants earlier and therefore, the region should belong to Jews only. However, Christians and those belonging to Islam have also lived in this regions for long period. While Christians make no claim, the dispute is between Jews and those who claim themselves to be Palestinians. In any case...

Fate of Yamuna floodplain still hangs in "balance" despite National Green Tribunal rap on Sri Sri event

By Ashok Shrimali* While the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Thursday reportedly pulled up the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) for granting permission to hold spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's World Culture Festival on the banks of Yamuna, the chief petitioners against the high-profile event Yamuna Jiye Abhiyan has declared, the “fate of the floodplain still hangs in balance.”