Skip to main content

Narendra Modi "sounds" PK Misra, his principal secretary during 2002 riots, for a plum Delhi posting

Dr PK Misra
By A Representative
Dr PK Misra, controversial principal secretary of Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi during the 2002 riots, is learnt to have been told that he should join the new team under Modi’s stewardship immediately after the new BJP-led government takes over in Delhi following the Lok Sabha poll results on May 16. A top Gujarat government bureaucrat, speaking on condition of anonymity, told Counterview that Dr Misra has been telling his IAS colleagues in Gandhinagar Sachivalaya that he has been “sounded about this by Modi personally".
“Dr Misra is not saying which post he will occupy under Modi, but in all probability will be Prime Minister Modi’s principal secretary”, the official said, adding, “While there are strong rumours that Modi will take along with him his principal chief secretary K Kailashnanthan, a retired IAS bureaucrat who continues to call the shots in the chief minister’s office, and his additional principal secretary AK Sharma, also an IAS bureaucrat, this may not happen”.
Two major reasons are being given for this. First of all, none of these two have any experience in working in Delhi, and are quite “unfamiliar” with the North Block babudom culture. The second, and more important, is that Modi “needs” a team of babus in Gujarat who could continue informing him back home in Delhi about how things were going in Gandhinagar after he leaves Gujarat. “Modi would not like to lose control over the Gujarat administration, even if he installs his closest ally Anandiben Patel as next chief minister”, the official said.
K Kailashnathan
“By contrast”, this official pointed out, “Dr Misra knows Delhi babudom pretty well. He shifted to Delhi in May 13, 2004, expecting the NDA would return to power. He was tipped to become Union home secretary. However, as this did not happen and NDA was defeated, he had to be satisfied with a posting considered sidelined – member-secretary, National Capital Region Planning Board -- before making his way two years later to the plum post of Union agriculture secretary. He also worked as secretary, National Disaster Management Authority, in Delhi.”
Retired in 2008, Misra was awarded with the powerful post of chairman of the Gujarat Electricity Regulatory Commission -- responsible for fixing power tariffs for different category of power consumers -- for continuing to display his loyalty to Modi. Currently, he serving as director-general of the Gujarat Institute of Disaster Management (GIDM), and Modi is known to have taken his advice for all major babus’ postings in Gujarat government.
A babu claiming to have academic bent of mind – he has authored a book on agricultural marketing – Misra was in touch with Modi even before the latter took over as Gujarat chief minister in October 2001. A known critic of the then chief minister Keshubhai Patel, as head of the Gujarat State Disaster Management Authority (GSDMA), formed after the January 2001 killer earthquake, it is widely rumoured, he was behind passing on crucial information to Modi on "rampant corruption" under Modi’s predecessor.
During the first days of the anti-Muslim riots, which broke out on February 27-28, 2002, Misra doggedly followed all instructions of Modi, going so far as to stiffly deny, talking with newspersons, the gruesome murder of ex-Congress MP Ehsan Jafri during the infamous attack on Gulbarg Society incident. "You can quote me, nothing of the sort has happened, the situation in Ahmedabad is absolutely normal”, he was quoted as telling a scribe.
There have been allegations that Misra was present in a crucial meeting in Gandhinagar on February 27, where Modi directed cops and officials to go soft on rioters. A former Gujarat Cabinet minister, Jaspal Singh, in a letter has to the special investigation team (SIT) urged the top body appointed by the Supreme Court to examine Modi’s role in riots, to interrogate Misra, as he was one of those who attended the crucial meeting.
Haren Pandya
Reports say, “written records” suggest Misra instructed the director-general of state intelligence to track Haren Pandya’s movements in 2002, around the time when Pandya deposed before the independent citizens’ tribunal under Justice VR Krishna Iyer. Pandya was murdered in mysterious circumstances in March 2003. According to these reports, an intelligence noting in a police register, dated June 7, 2002, reads: “Dr PK Misra added that Shri Harenbhai Pandya, minister for revenue is suspected to be the minister involved in the matter. Thereafter, he gave one mobile number and asked for getting call details.”
Five days later, on June 12, 2002, there was reportedly another entry in the register: “Informed Dr PK Misra that the minister who is suspected to have met the private inquiry commission (Justice VR Krishna Iyer) is known to be Mr Haren Pandya. I also informed that the matter cannot be given in writing as this issue is quite sensitive and not connected with the charter of duties given to State intelligence Bureau vide Bombay Police Manual.”

Comments

TRENDING

A comrade in culture and controversy: Yao Wenyuan’s revolutionary legacy

By Harsh Thakor*  This year marks two important anniversaries in Chinese revolutionary history—the 20th death anniversary of Yao Wenyuan, and the 50th anniversary of his seminal essay "On the Social Basis of the Lin Biao Anti-Party Clique". These milestones invite reflection on the man whose pen ignited the first sparks of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution and whose sharp ideological interventions left an indelible imprint on the political and cultural landscape of socialist China.

Two more "aadhaar-linked" Jharkhand deaths: 17 die of starvation since Sept 2017

Kaleshwar's sons Santosh and Mantosh Counterview Desk A fact-finding team of the Right to Feed Campaign, pointing towards the death of two more persons due to starvation in Jharkhand, has said that this has happened because of the absence of aadhaar, leading to “persistent lack of food at home and unavailability of any means of earning.” It has disputed the state government claims that these deaths are due to reasons other than starvation, adding, the authorities have “done nothing” to reduce the alarming state of food insecurity in the state.

Epic war against caste system is constitutional responsibility of elected government

Edited by well-known Gujarat Dalit rights leader Martin Macwan, the book, “Bhed-Bharat: An Account of Injustice and Atrocities on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-18)” (available in English and Gujarati*) is a selection of news articles on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-2018) published by Dalit Shakti Prakashan, Ahmedabad. Preface to the book, in which Macwan seeks to answer key questions on why the book is needed today: *** The thought of compiling a book on atrocities on Dalits and thus present an overall Indian picture had occurred to me a long time ago. Absence of such a comprehensive picture is a major reason for a weak social and political consciousness among Dalits as well as non-Dalits. But gradually the idea took a different form. I found that lay readers don’t understand numbers and don’t like to read well-researched articles. The best way to reach out to them was storytelling. As I started writing in Gujarati and sharing the idea of the book with my friends, it occurred to me that while...

What's behind Donald Trump's 'narco-state' accusation against Venezuela

By Manolo De Los Santos  The US government has revived its campaign to label Venezuela a "narco-state", accusing its top leadership of drug trafficking and slapping hefty bounties on their heads for capture. This campaign, which only momentarily took a backseat, is a strategic fabrication, not a factual assessment. This accusation, particularly amplified under the Trump Administration, is a calculated smokescreen to justify a long-standing agenda: the overthrow of the Venezuelan government and the seizure of its vast oil and mineral resources. A closer examination of the facts reveals a country that has actively fought drug trafficking on its own terms and a US government with a clear and consistent history of destabilizing independent countries in Latin America.

New RTI draft rules inspired by citizen-unfriendly, overtly bureaucratic approach

By Venkatesh Nayak* The Department of Personnel and Training , Government of India has invited comments on a new set of Draft Rules (available in English only) to implement The Right to Information Act, 2005 . The RTI Rules were last amended in 2012 after a long period of consultation with various stakeholders. The Government’s move to put the draft RTI Rules out for people’s comments and suggestions for change is a welcome continuation of the tradition of public consultation. Positive aspects of the Draft RTI Rules While 60-65% of the Draft RTI Rules repeat the content of the 2012 RTI Rules, some new aspects deserve appreciation as they clarify the manner of implementation of key provisions of the RTI Act. These are: Provisions for dealing with non-compliance of the orders and directives of the Central Information Commission (CIC) by public authorities- this was missing in the 2012 RTI Rules. Non-compliance is increasingly becoming a major problem- two of my non-compliance cases are...

N-power plant at Mithi Virdi: CRZ nod is arbitrary, without jurisdiction

By Krishnakant* A case-appeal has been filed against the order of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and others granting CRZ clearance for establishment of intake and outfall facility for proposed 6000 MWe Nuclear Power Plant at Mithi Virdi, District Bhavnagar, Gujarat by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) vide order in F 11-23 /2014-IA- III dated March 3, 2015. The case-appeal in the National Green Tribunal at Western Bench at Pune is filed by Shaktisinh Gohil, Sarpanch of Jasapara; Hajabhai Dihora of Mithi Virdi; Jagrutiben Gohil of Jasapara; Krishnakant and Rohit Prajapati activist of the Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued a notice to the MoEF&CC, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Gujarat Coastal Zone Management Authority, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and case is kept for hearing on August 20, 2015. Appeal No. 23 of 2015 (WZ) is filed, a...

1857 War of Independence... when Hindu-Muslim separatism, hatred wasn't an issue

"The Sepoy Revolt at Meerut", Illustrated London News, 1857  By Shamsul Islam* Large sections of Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs unitedly challenged the greatest imperialist power, Britain, during India’s First War of Independence which began on May 10, 1857; the day being Sunday. This extraordinary unity, naturally, unnerved the firangees and made them realize that if their rule was to continue in India, it could happen only when Hindus and Muslims, the largest two religious communities were divided on communal lines.

Ground reality: Israel would a remain Jewish state, attempt to overthrow it will be futile

By NS Venkataraman*  Now that truce has been arrived at between Israel and Hamas for a period of four days and with release of a few hostages from both sides, there is hope that truce would be further extended and the intensity of war would become significantly less. This likely “truce period” gives an opportunity for the sworn supporters and bitter opponents of Hamas as well as Israel and the observers around the world to introspect on the happenings and whether this war could have been avoided. There is prolonged debate for the last several decades as to whom the present region that has been provided to Jews after the World War II belong. View of some people is that Jews have been occupants earlier and therefore, the region should belong to Jews only. However, Christians and those belonging to Islam have also lived in this regions for long period. While Christians make no claim, the dispute is between Jews and those who claim themselves to be Palestinians. In any case...

Fate of Yamuna floodplain still hangs in "balance" despite National Green Tribunal rap on Sri Sri event

By Ashok Shrimali* While the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Thursday reportedly pulled up the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) for granting permission to hold spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's World Culture Festival on the banks of Yamuna, the chief petitioners against the high-profile event Yamuna Jiye Abhiyan has declared, the “fate of the floodplain still hangs in balance.”