Skip to main content

Gujarat IPS officers involved in fake encounter released to "weaken" the prosecution: State government insiders

Amit Shah
By Satyakam Mehta
Well-informed sources in the Gujarat government have told me that “all-out efforts are on” to ensure that cops involved in the fake encounter cases are released on bail one after another. The reason, said the sources, is that they could be “quite effective” in helping “influence” and “work through” the prosecution to ensure that the cases begin losing its importance and fall through. A senior official requesting anonymity, said, “No stone is being left unturned to see to it that the the cases become weak.” He added, if so far three officers have been free – with two of them having been given plum posts – days are not far off when “others may follow suit.”
“A senior bureaucrat in the chief minister's office is taking special interest in this”, this sources pointed out, adding, “There are clear political reasons behind this. National president of the BJP Amit Shah is one of the prime accused in the case, and is currently on bail. One has only to remember as to why the Supreme Court shifted the Sohrabuddin case out of Gujarat and, for quite some time, even debarred him from Gujarat.”
The last officer to be out of the jail on bail after four plus years was Vipul Agarwal. He was just another suspended Gujarat cadre Indian Police Service (IPS) officer, who was reinstated. The Gujarat government has done it despite the fact that the suspended IPS official was involved in one of the 21 fake encounter cases in the state during the Narendra Modi regime (2001-14). “This has clearly left a battery of steadfast officers frustrated – after all, they refused to toe the political line and were shunted out for exposing the extra-judicial killings”, the sources complained.
Sohrabuddin with Kauserbi
Agarwal was was arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on May 3, 2010, when he was a Superintendent of Police (SP) in Dahod district, for the Tulsiram Prajapati fake encounter case. The case was later linked by the CBI with the killings of Sohrabuddin Sheikh and his wife Kauserbi. The whole case was later converted, during investigations by the CBI, into a triple murder case wherein the investigators named Amit Shah, who was minister of state for home under Modi, as an accused. Shah is out on bail and the trial is on, while the Bombay High Court has conceded his plea to exempt him from appearing in person in the court.
Agarwal was in Palanpur sub-jail for four years and five months and was granted bail by the Bombay High Court on October 10. In November third week, the Gujarat government revoked his suspension and reinducted him in the force. It is quite another thing that he is yet to appointed – this could be because the Gujarat government is seeking to find an “appropriate” post for him, the sources said. He is one of the dozen police officials who are either in jail or facing prosecution.
Suspended Superintendent of Police (SP) Abhay Chudasama, a key accused in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh-Tulsiram Prajapati encounter cases, is another instance. On being released on bail, he was given a plum job as SP (Vigilance) in the office of none other than the Director-General of State Police. “The Vigilance Squad at the D-G office enjoys overarching powers to conduct raids and make arrests without the usual jurisdictional limitations”, a senior official admitted.
Ishrat Jehan
Yet another reinstatement was that of suspended SP GL Singhal, chargesheeted by the CBI in the fake encounter of 19-year-old Mumbai girl Ishrat Jahan and her three friends. Among other things, Singhal reportedly confessed to recording the proceedings of a crucial meeting ahead of the encounter. He also recorded telephone conversations between him and his superiors as well as handed over a pen-drive to the CBI of this.
Singhal was named an accused in the fake encounter, and he later even sent in his resignation. All this was glossed over, his suspension was revoked, and he was reinstated at the State Arms Unit in state capital Gandhinagar.
Besides the reinstatements, sources said, that some police officials from Gujarat could be given prime duties at the Centre with Narendra Modi as the Prime Minister. Among them are Rakesh Asthana, an IPS officer of the 1984 batch, presently posted as police commissioner of Surat, and Joint Commissioner (Crime Branch) in Ahmedabad AK Sharma. “Asthana’s case has been cleared by the Union Home Ministry to take over as joint director in the CBI, while Sharma is being considered for another key position”, the source pointed out.
In sharp contrast, there are several cases of IPS officials, considered headstrong, such as Satish Verma and Rajnish Rai, who cracked the fake encounters. They are being punished. While it was Satish Verma’s first investigation that eventually led to the arrest of GL Singhal and other cops in the Ishrat Jahan encounter case, it was Rajnish Rai who blew the lid off the Sohrabuddin episode.
Where are they now? In August, Verma was shunted out far away from Gujarat as the Chief Vigilance Officer of the North-Eastern Electricity and Power Corporation in Shillong, while Rai was sent to Jaduguda in Jharkhand as the Chief Vigilance Officer of Uranium Corporation of India.

Comments

Anonymous said…
The writer is giving the most biased view of the case. These people have been in jail for upto 7 years without trial. There is almost no evidence against most of them. Why should they not apply for bail..?? as far as working with prosecution goes...every accused has the right to work with their lawyers in order to present their side. It is a constitutional right of ANY accused. Mr Writer if you were arrested for a crime and jailed...would you not work with your lawyer to prepare your case in your defense..??? or you would languish in the jail for the rest of your life.?? pls stop spreading your brainless propoganda....as a journalist you should have more sense then the common man and should think a bit before presenting your mental diarrhea to readers.
Satyakam Mehta said…
Diarrhoea (this is the right spelling, by the way) is about not being able to hold the truth and constipation is about not being able to accept it. Constipation happens when you don't absorb enough in your system, as in this case when you have, number one, not even read the above report properly and number two, you have not even followed up on the cases properly when you speak of languishing in jails "without trial". Just to improve your digestive system, the above article speaks not of anyone's right to get bail but of over a dozen senior IPS officials put into the jails __ a situation that their lawyers could not prevent because of clinching evidence against them __ for fake killings. Is this what the IAS and IPS training for? And when they are released on bail, a conniving government rewards them with postings when they are still facing serious charges for criminal acts that they are not supposed to have committed????? Please read properly, please improve your English, please have the stomach to digest and accept the reality, this will help you clear your constipation of information and make you an intellectual instead of an irritant so very palpable on a constipated person. Best Wishes
Anonymous said…
You should be a doctor as your knowledge of the digestive system is better than your journalstic perspective. But since you are a journalist let me give you some inside grapevine info to investigate.. Mr.Verma took 5cr from an NGO to play a specific role in this investigation and the deal was facilitated by I H Syed and the mastermind behind it all was Ahmed Patel..!! hows that for a counterview.
Anonymous said…
And Lastly...Diarrhea is a accepted spelling worldwide. You might wanna check wikipedia and google. This clearly shows how deep you research before spilling it out on this website.

TRENDING

A comrade in culture and controversy: Yao Wenyuan’s revolutionary legacy

By Harsh Thakor*  This year marks two important anniversaries in Chinese revolutionary history—the 20th death anniversary of Yao Wenyuan, and the 50th anniversary of his seminal essay "On the Social Basis of the Lin Biao Anti-Party Clique". These milestones invite reflection on the man whose pen ignited the first sparks of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution and whose sharp ideological interventions left an indelible imprint on the political and cultural landscape of socialist China.

Two more "aadhaar-linked" Jharkhand deaths: 17 die of starvation since Sept 2017

Kaleshwar's sons Santosh and Mantosh Counterview Desk A fact-finding team of the Right to Feed Campaign, pointing towards the death of two more persons due to starvation in Jharkhand, has said that this has happened because of the absence of aadhaar, leading to “persistent lack of food at home and unavailability of any means of earning.” It has disputed the state government claims that these deaths are due to reasons other than starvation, adding, the authorities have “done nothing” to reduce the alarming state of food insecurity in the state.

Epic war against caste system is constitutional responsibility of elected government

Edited by well-known Gujarat Dalit rights leader Martin Macwan, the book, “Bhed-Bharat: An Account of Injustice and Atrocities on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-18)” (available in English and Gujarati*) is a selection of news articles on Dalits and Adivasis (2014-2018) published by Dalit Shakti Prakashan, Ahmedabad. Preface to the book, in which Macwan seeks to answer key questions on why the book is needed today: *** The thought of compiling a book on atrocities on Dalits and thus present an overall Indian picture had occurred to me a long time ago. Absence of such a comprehensive picture is a major reason for a weak social and political consciousness among Dalits as well as non-Dalits. But gradually the idea took a different form. I found that lay readers don’t understand numbers and don’t like to read well-researched articles. The best way to reach out to them was storytelling. As I started writing in Gujarati and sharing the idea of the book with my friends, it occurred to me that while...

What's behind Donald Trump's 'narco-state' accusation against Venezuela

By Manolo De Los Santos  The US government has revived its campaign to label Venezuela a "narco-state", accusing its top leadership of drug trafficking and slapping hefty bounties on their heads for capture. This campaign, which only momentarily took a backseat, is a strategic fabrication, not a factual assessment. This accusation, particularly amplified under the Trump Administration, is a calculated smokescreen to justify a long-standing agenda: the overthrow of the Venezuelan government and the seizure of its vast oil and mineral resources. A closer examination of the facts reveals a country that has actively fought drug trafficking on its own terms and a US government with a clear and consistent history of destabilizing independent countries in Latin America.

New RTI draft rules inspired by citizen-unfriendly, overtly bureaucratic approach

By Venkatesh Nayak* The Department of Personnel and Training , Government of India has invited comments on a new set of Draft Rules (available in English only) to implement The Right to Information Act, 2005 . The RTI Rules were last amended in 2012 after a long period of consultation with various stakeholders. The Government’s move to put the draft RTI Rules out for people’s comments and suggestions for change is a welcome continuation of the tradition of public consultation. Positive aspects of the Draft RTI Rules While 60-65% of the Draft RTI Rules repeat the content of the 2012 RTI Rules, some new aspects deserve appreciation as they clarify the manner of implementation of key provisions of the RTI Act. These are: Provisions for dealing with non-compliance of the orders and directives of the Central Information Commission (CIC) by public authorities- this was missing in the 2012 RTI Rules. Non-compliance is increasingly becoming a major problem- two of my non-compliance cases are...

N-power plant at Mithi Virdi: CRZ nod is arbitrary, without jurisdiction

By Krishnakant* A case-appeal has been filed against the order of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and others granting CRZ clearance for establishment of intake and outfall facility for proposed 6000 MWe Nuclear Power Plant at Mithi Virdi, District Bhavnagar, Gujarat by Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) vide order in F 11-23 /2014-IA- III dated March 3, 2015. The case-appeal in the National Green Tribunal at Western Bench at Pune is filed by Shaktisinh Gohil, Sarpanch of Jasapara; Hajabhai Dihora of Mithi Virdi; Jagrutiben Gohil of Jasapara; Krishnakant and Rohit Prajapati activist of the Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued a notice to the MoEF&CC, Gujarat Pollution Control Board, Gujarat Coastal Zone Management Authority, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board and Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and case is kept for hearing on August 20, 2015. Appeal No. 23 of 2015 (WZ) is filed, a...

1857 War of Independence... when Hindu-Muslim separatism, hatred wasn't an issue

"The Sepoy Revolt at Meerut", Illustrated London News, 1857  By Shamsul Islam* Large sections of Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs unitedly challenged the greatest imperialist power, Britain, during India’s First War of Independence which began on May 10, 1857; the day being Sunday. This extraordinary unity, naturally, unnerved the firangees and made them realize that if their rule was to continue in India, it could happen only when Hindus and Muslims, the largest two religious communities were divided on communal lines.

Ground reality: Israel would a remain Jewish state, attempt to overthrow it will be futile

By NS Venkataraman*  Now that truce has been arrived at between Israel and Hamas for a period of four days and with release of a few hostages from both sides, there is hope that truce would be further extended and the intensity of war would become significantly less. This likely “truce period” gives an opportunity for the sworn supporters and bitter opponents of Hamas as well as Israel and the observers around the world to introspect on the happenings and whether this war could have been avoided. There is prolonged debate for the last several decades as to whom the present region that has been provided to Jews after the World War II belong. View of some people is that Jews have been occupants earlier and therefore, the region should belong to Jews only. However, Christians and those belonging to Islam have also lived in this regions for long period. While Christians make no claim, the dispute is between Jews and those who claim themselves to be Palestinians. In any case...

Fate of Yamuna floodplain still hangs in "balance" despite National Green Tribunal rap on Sri Sri event

By Ashok Shrimali* While the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Thursday reportedly pulled up the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) for granting permission to hold spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's World Culture Festival on the banks of Yamuna, the chief petitioners against the high-profile event Yamuna Jiye Abhiyan has declared, the “fate of the floodplain still hangs in balance.”