Skip to main content

Kailash Satyarthi felicitates two 'real-life heroes' who saved girls from traffickers

By A Representative 

On International Women’s day, Nobel Peace laureate Kailash Satyarthi felicitated two individuals, an e-rickshaw driver who saved two girls from being kidnapped and a woman cop who had traced 73 missing children in the last eight months.
Lauding their efforts, Satyarthi said, "What Bramhadutt and Sunita have done is exemplary. They listened to their inner voice and stood up for what is right and saved children from clutches of traffickers. They are role models, standing tall in their own right. For me they are real heroes who inspire thousands across the country."
On March 5, Bramhadutt Rajput, a resident of Farukkhabad who lives in Jhilmil, was waiting for passengers near Balaji temple in Vivek Vihar. A man along with two girls boarded his e-rickshaw and asked to be dropped at Chintamani chowk.
However, Bramhadutt could sense something fishy. The man was carrying two rubbish-filled polybags. Inside the e-rickshaw, the two girls, aged 7 and 4 years, asked the man to drop them home only after providing food.
Bramhadutt then asked the girls whether they knew the man and both said no. An alert Bramhadutt then stopped his e-rickshaw near a traffic official and explained the situation. The police then took the man into custody.
After being interrogated, the man revealed that he was Sanjay, a vagabond and a drug addict and had kidnapped the girls to force them into beggary. The two girls were later united with their parents, who were construction workers. Thus, it was Bramhadutt’s courage and presence of mind that saved the girls from being forced to beg on the streets.
Bramhadutt said that he would cherish the moment of being felicitated by Satyarthi. “I will continue helping children and would also sensitise other e-rickshaw drivers on assisting children in need,” he said.
Sunita, a police constable, posted in the Anti-Human Trafficking Unit (AHTU), has reunited 73 missing children because of her grit, determination and investigation skills. Last month, she traced a seven-year-old boy from Vikaspuri, a 13-year-old girl from Mayapuri and two children from Kanjawala.
Out of the 73 children traced within the last eight months, 15 are less the eight years of age. The remaining are between the age of 8 years and 16 years.
Sunita said that while investigating the case of missing children, she visited the parents/ guardians of the children to get possible leads. Not relying entirely on CCTV footage and out-of-the-box thinking has helped Sunita reunite these children with their families. The Delhi police have recommended out-of-turn promotion for Sunita.

Comments

TRENDING

Right to walk, right to livelihood: Clearing footpaths 'can't mean' clearing out the urban poor

By Aseem Mishra*    India’s cities are locked in a quiet but intensifying struggle over one of their most contested public spaces: the footpath. For pedestrians, a footpath is basic infrastructure—a strip of ground that should allow people to move safely, independently and with dignity. For millions of informal workers, the same stretch of pavement is a workplace, a source of daily income and often the difference between survival and destitution.

A fearless spirit lost: Rebecca Thomson dies at 17-hour Catalina Swim Mark

By Harsh Thakor  On July 26, 2026, Rebecca “Becky” Thomson suffered cardiac arrest while attempting the Catalina Channel Swim — a marathon open water crossing from Catalina Island to the California mainland. After swimming for 17 hours, Thomson collapsed in the water. Despite the painstaking efforts of emergency responders and the medical staff at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, she succumbed to a devastating hypoxic brain injury and died Friday evening.

Women lawyers petition Supreme Court, seek reconsideration of Aug 4 order on bar council co-option

By A Representative   A group of women advocates who stood sixth and seventh among female candidates in the recent Bar Council elections have filed a petition before the Supreme Court, seeking a recall and reconsideration of the Court’s August 4 order determining the mechanism for co-opting women into State Bar Councils.