Skip to main content

"Breakdown" in discipline among security forces involved in anti-Maoist operations in Chhattisgarh: NCST report

By A Representative
The National Commission for Scheduled Tribes (NCST) believes that there is a “breakdown of discipline” among security forces deployed on anti-Maoist operations in south Chhattisgarh. It said this in a report prepared following its probe into allegations of mass sexual violence against adivasi women, assaults and looting by police and paramilitary force in the Bijapur and Sukma districts.
Focusing on events October 2015 in Bijapur and in January 2016 in Bijapur and Sukma during the security forces’ anti-Maoist operations, an NCST report said, investigations into charges of sexual assault, including rape, were “unsatisfactory”, and there was “no progress” in identifying those who attacked the women.
NCST’s chairperson Rameshwar Oraon, accompanied by two others, visited the two district headquarters between April 3 and 5. They could not visit the villages to make spot inquiry as the authorities said it was “unsafe.”
The commission found that in the three cases it investigated, the district police had set up “special teams” of two or three members of police personnel to investigate the violence. However, though six months have passed following complaints, no arrests have been made, nor have there been any charge sheets.
The team was told about how, last year in October, in Pegdapalli, Chinnagellur, Peddagellur, Burgicher, and Gundam villages of Bijapur, three women, including a teenager and a pregnant woman, were gangraped by members of security forces. It was also told about repetition of such assaults from January 11 to 14 during anti-Maoist operation.
In all these instances, the villagers complained that security forces had also beaten them up, ransacked their homes and looted money food, and other possessions.
The NCST report, running into 15 pages, said that there was a delay in conducting medical examinations of the victims, pointing out that the FIRs were delayed despite a 2013 Supreme Court ruling that an amendment to India’s anti-rape laws makes it mandatory for the police to file a case as soon as a complaint of sexual violence is brought to them, it was pointed out.
In Bijapur, the team met lawyers and women activists, who had helped guide adivasi women villagers through legal procedures, apart from local police officials and the state government’s chief secretary and home secretary in Raipur, the state capital.
The report says that the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act has not been applied in the FIRs, despite the fact that all the complainants are adivasis.
It believes, conditions for sexual violence were “created” because the security forces lived in villagers’ homes during operations and the absence of women officers in the deployed units. It asks the government to “issue orders that security forces must not, under any circumstances, live in the homes of villagers while on an operation.”

NGO report finds human rights violations

In a separate report, a team of activists from the Women Against Sexual Violence and State Repression (WSS), which visited the rural areas of Bijapur, said that “there has been a history of rampant looting and violence in these villages.”
In one such instance last year, during a large search and combing operation, the security forces entered village Itaavar, and camped in the house of Sukku Kunjam. “They took fish and chickens and one quintal of rice stored at the house and started cooking”, the report said, adding, “On the November 23, they picked one of Sukku’s sisters and dragged her away.”
It added, “The other sister followed to save her, but she was taken away by the forces as well. The women were dragged into the surrounding forests – they were stripped and beaten. For two days, they were kept in the jungle and later dropped off at the neighbouring village of Dowal Nendra.”
Sukku Kunjam himself was taken to Korcholi, from where he tried to flee along with other men of the village. “However he was shot and killed. His body was wrapped and taken to Bijapur Thana, where he was falsely declared a Naxal”, the report said.
In a search and combing operation early this year, the report said, a young girl, Mangli Pottam, who was out grazing cattle with her sister and friend, was attacked.
“Mangli’s clothes were torn and they threatened to kill her. They also threatened to kill Tulsi, her friend. Mangli’s sister, Somli’s blouse was ripped off. She was dragged by the hair and flung to the ground. They hit her on the stomach with a rifle butt”, the report said.

Comments

TRENDING

Why Venezuela govt granting amnesty to political prisoners isn't a sign of weakness

By Guillermo Barreto   On 20 May 2017, during a violent protest planned by sectors of the Venezuelan opposition, 21-year-old Orlando Figuera was attacked by a mob that accused him of being a Chavista. After being stabbed, he was doused with gasoline and set on fire in front of everyone present. Young Orlando was admitted to a hospital with multiple wounds and burns covering 80 percent of his body and died 15 days later, on 4 June.

Pace bowlers who transcended pace bowling prowess to heights unscaled

By Harsh Thakor*   This is my selection and ranking of the most complete and versatile fast bowlers of all time. They are not rated on the basis of statistics or sheer speed, but on all-round pace-bowling skill. I have given preference to technical mastery over raw talent, and versatility over raw pace.

Walk for peace: Buddhist monks and America’s search for healing

By Vidya Bhushan Rawat*  The #BuddhistMonks in the United States have completed their #WalkForPeace after covering nearly 3,700 kilometers in an arduous journey. They reached Washington, DC yesterday. The journey began at the Huong Đạo Vipassana Bhavana Center in Fort Worth, Texas, on October 26, 2025, and concluded in Washington, DC after a 108-day walk. The monks, mainly from Vietnam and Thailand, undertook this journey for peace and mindfulness. Their number ranged between 19 and 24. Led by Venerable Bhikkhu Pannakara (also known as Sư Tuệ Nhân), a Vietnamese-born monk based in the United States, this “Walk for Peace” reflected deeply on the crisis within American society and the search for inner strength among its people.

Swami Vivekananda's views on caste and sexuality were 'painfully' regressive

By Bhaskar Sur* Swami Vivekananda now belongs more to the modern Hindu mythology than reality. It makes a daunting job to discover the real human being who knew unemployment, humiliation of losing a teaching job for 'incompetence', longed in vain for the bliss of a happy conjugal life only to suffer the consequent frustration.

A. R. Rahman's ‘Yethu’ goes viral, celebrating Tamil music on the world stage

By Syed Ali Mujtaba*  Good news for Tamil music lovers—the Mozart of Madras is back in the Tamil music industry with his song “Yethu” from the film “Moonwalk.” The track has climbed international charts, once again placing A. R. Rahman on the global stage.

Four women lead the way among Tamil Nadu’s Muslim change-makers

By Syed Ali Mujtaba*  A report published by Awaz–The Voice (ATV), a news platform, highlights 10 Muslim change-makers in Tamil Nadu, among whom four are women. These individuals are driving social change through education, the arts, conservation, and activism. Representing diverse fields ranging from environmental protection and literature to political engagement and education, they are working to improve society across the state.

Bangladesh goes to polls as press freedom concerns surface

By Nava Thakuria*  As Bangladesh heads for its 13th Parliamentary election and a referendum on the July National Charter simultaneously on Thursday (12 February 2026), interim government chief Professor Muhammad Yunus has urged all participating candidates to rise above personal and party interests and prioritize the greater interests of the Muslim-majority nation, regardless of the poll outcomes. 

Why Russian oil has emerged as the flashpoint in India–US trade talks

By N.S. Venkataraman*  In recent years, India has entered into trade agreements with several countries, the latest being agreements with the European Union and the United States. While the India–EU trade agreement has been widely viewed in India as mutually beneficial and balanced, the trade agreement with the United States has generated comparatively greater debate and scrutiny.

Trade pacts with EU, US raise alarms over farmers, MSMEs and policy space

By A Representative   A broad coalition of farmers’ organisations, trade unions, traders, public health advocates and environmental groups has raised serious concerns over India’s recently concluded trade agreements with the European Union and the United States, warning that the deals could have far-reaching implications for livelihoods, policy autonomy and the country’s long-term development trajectory. In a public statement issued, the Forum for Trade Justice described the two agreements as marking a “tectonic shift” in India’s trade policy and cautioned that the projected gains in exports may come at a significant social and economic cost.